VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any suggestions on a diy downpipe install? i just got my 42 dd 3" turbo back and am going to attack this this weekend. its my first on a mk4 gti so if u have any suggestions it would help.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Re: downpipe install....? (1.8t dubbin)

put it al together as one piece.. make sure you dont mess up where the o2 sensor port has to be positioned and then after you cant get the turbo bolts off take it to a shop and have them do it for around 100 bucks and an hour of your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: downpipe install....? (1.8t dubbin)

Anything exhaust related usually has really stiff rusted bolts from the constant heat-up and cooldown. If I'm going to touch anything exhaust related, I always spray the bolts at least the day before with a high end penetrating fluid. Keep in mind it will smell a bit when the exhaust gets hot, but it's worth it if it makes it easier to get those bolts off.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Re: downpipe install....? (AustinNYC)

Quote, originally posted by AustinNYC »
Anything exhaust related usually has really stiff rusted bolts from the constant heat-up and cooldown. If I'm going to touch anything exhaust related, I always spray the bolts at least the day before with a high end penetrating fluid. Keep in mind it will smell a bit when the exhaust gets hot, but it's worth it if it makes it easier to get those bolts off.

this is what i do and its a must for anything exhaust related. if you dont have a impact gun you might have a hard time with the cat to catback coupler. the bolts on mine would not budge even when i put a 18" breaker bar on it. luckily i own an electric impact gun and after tightening and loosening a few times they came off. if i didnt have the gun i would have had to cut it off, no big deal but i wanted to reuse it. i didnt have an issue with the turbo bolts, but i sprayed them the night before. its really not hard to do just start early in the day so incase you need a part or a bolt or get the wrong gasket like me, you still have time to make a run to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Re: downpipe install....? (v8282w)

bah i just let the car run for a while for the studs to get really hot, then put it on the lift, or floor jack or whatever your using, and slap an impact gun on there and they will come right out.
--> always done em this way with no problems, of course if you try to take them out cold though they will probably break or just wont budge....heating them up first with a mildly sporty drive is the fastest way i've been able to get them out with.
Once the downpipe bolts / studs are out just put on the new gasket and slap the whole turbo back onto the car in 1 peice and hook up the rubber mounts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (best done with a friend to help hold up the exhaust

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: downpipe install....? (Golfmk3_18)

Quote, originally posted by Golfmk3_18 »
bah i just let the car run for a while for the studs to get really hot, then put it on the lift, or floor jack or whatever your using, and slap an impact gun on there and they will come right out.
--> always done em this way with no problems, of course if you try to take them out cold though they will probably break or just wont budge....heating them up first with a mildly sporty drive is the fastest way i've been able to get them out with.
Once the downpipe bolts / studs are out just put on the new gasket and slap the whole turbo back onto the car in 1 peice and hook up the rubber mounts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (best done with a friend to help hold up the exhaust

Just wanted to add holster the impact gun when tightening the downpipe bolts lol that you want to do by hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.