VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, let me start by saying I regret my user name. I wanted to sign up to get going and the creative juices failed me, so staring at my two dogs, that was the first thing that came to mind. I have done a fair bit to the car and plan on more. For me, the R is a long term car so I thought it might be time to chronicle it. I am also really into tracking the car, and I would like to use this as place to share my learnings from that as much of it is learning at this point.

Factory Specs:
2013 Golf R Premium
Candy White
4-door
Miles: 28K

Modifications:
Driveline
Chasis
Interior
Exterior
VAG COM
  • ESP/ESC delete
  • Roll Up / Down windows from key
  • Brake assist
Track Tools

TrackBest Time
MSR Cresson 1.3 CCW1:10.743
MSR Cresson 1.7 CCW1:31.145
MSR Cresson 1.7 CW1:31.6

Shops:
The guys at Dubsquared have been really cool to me. They understand VWs and track driving and I personally feel like I can trust their advice and input. They are about 1.5 hour from my house, but the only place around I would let touch my car.
dubsquared

Vorshlag specializes in suspension installation, full race car builds, roll cage fabrication, custom aero upgrades, brake/safety updates, and general race preparation.
Vorshlag Motorsports

·
Registered
786 Posts
well, now you've ruined it for me. up until you pointed it out, my feeble brain processed your user name as twoplugs.

nice start on your build thread. looking forward to updates.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dropped the car off at DubSquared for some maintenance and upgrades. While there is nothing really new here that someone has not already done, I was pretty happy with the results. First on the list was the 20K service as well as a brake fluid flush.

I noticed towards the end of my last track day that with harding breaking I was getting a vibration in the steering. Turns out my brakes finally wore out and needed new front and rear pads / rotors. It was going to take them a day or so to get the stock blank rotors in. I did not really have time to wait and needed the brakes for my upcoming track day on the 4th. They could source some Zimmermann Sport cross drilled rotors right away. I know there is a lot of back and forth on cross drilling. Zimmermann are made in the EU, have an anti corrosion coating, the holes are cast not drilled, and have countersunk edges. I figured the cross drilling might not add anything, most of the reported issues may be addressed so why not try them. I will report back over time for any issues like cracking. The bonus is, I do like the way they look on the car.

I had picked up a Unibrace XB a while back off another member. I know many of people have done it successfully with the supplied tools, but the nutserts concerned me a bit. DubSquared has a professional grade nutsert tool and for what they were charging, it seemed like a no brainer. They did a first rate job installing it, down to covering the holes left by the child seat anchors.

Last I had a set of VWR Sways and Whiteline End Links installed. Again, I was able to get the Sways off a fellow Vortex member for a good price. I went with the Whiteline end links since I could source front and rear from the same company.

I would like to get the Unibrace UB ordered and on before the 4th. With both braces and the sways, the car should be a bit more solid through the corners.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been to dubsquared a few times. You take your car to Cresson for track days?
As you can tell I really like DubSquared. Truth is they treat me great and everyone there is cool to chat with.

I do go to Cresson for track days. Eagles Canyon is closer, but I have heard really mixed reviews on it for both the style and condition of the track.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today the Unibrace UB XLR went on. Overall the install was straight forward and easy, except for the driver frontside mount. I had to trim the plastic underbody and bend some stuff to get it to fit. Not that big of a deal, but since I just had the car up on ramps, working room was tight which made it a pain. Took the car out for a test drive and decided to bed-in my new pads and rotors.

Now I am ready for my track day this Saturday!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well yesterdays track day was disappointing to say the least. We were running the 1.3 CCW track. After my third session I had posted a PR by about 1.5 seconds, set my top three laps and could have easily shaved another second or so off. That is when I noticed both rear Whiteline end links had come completely off. My sway bar was just dangling. All of the parts for the driver's side were still there and could be put back together, but the body on the passenger was missing. So I had no passenger end link. I did some research and on the Evo and other forums this seems to be a common issue. The jam nuts work their way loose. Seems the best way to prevent this is to install with the car on the ground, use loctite, and wrench them as hard as you can.

The other dissapointing part is my instructor must have bumped my GoPro when getting in, so all of my footage is the back of his helmet. I normally check the GoPro at lunch and swap batteries, but that is when I had to deal with my sway bar issue. I have signed up for the April 18th event so I will try to get everything resolved before then.

Passenger Endlink

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sucks to hear about your track day problems. It is frustrating to go through all the track day prep only to have something fail on you while there.

But keep the updates coming! Interested in hearing more about how the car is handling on the track for comparison against my findings. :beer:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed the missing Whiteline end link today. I wrenched the jam nuts as hard as I could and used a decent amount of Loctite. I really hope this does the trick. I will drive it for a day or two and then check and make sure everything is still snug. Went for a short test drive and it is funny how much having a working rear sway bar changes the behavior of the car!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rut-roh - I just had a rear sway installed and used Whiteline end links too. :what:
I had front and rear installed. For some reason they said the front were rock solid, but the rears came loose. I will check after 50 - 60 miles and see how they are holding up and report back. You should check yours and let us know!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received my Competition Wheel Stud Conversion Kit today from Rennline. I went with 45mm studs hoping they would not stick out too bad, but give me some growing room in case I decide to change out wheels at some point. While there is not anything ground breaking about this, I did want to be very precise with the install due to a thread where someone reported studs coming loose on the track. My process was the following:
  • Spray hub threads with brake cleaner and clean with small wire brush
  • Dry hub threads with paper towel and spray out debris with compressed air
  • Test fit stud
  • Wipe off stud end, wipe of hub threads, and spray everything again with compressed air
  • Apply high temp thread locker to stud
  • Hand tighten stud and then use double nuts to torque to 30 ft-lbs.
  • Wipe away any excess thread locker
  • Torque wheel nuts to 88 ft-lbs in star pattern
The only thing I think I am not following perfectly is the thread locker does not fully cure for 24 hours and I will drive the car in about 12. I will update after my track even this weekend if there are any issues. Also checked my rear end links while I was there and they seem to be holding tight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
well, now you've ruined it for me. up until you pointed it out, my feeble brain processed your user name as twoplugs.

nice start on your build thread. looking forward to updates.
I've always seen twoPLUGS too. I guess Freud was right. haha!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed over my past three or more track days that during almost every session, Harry's Lap Timer does not reset at the end of a lap and then combines 2 - 3 laps into a single lap of data. In a normal session I only get 10 - 11 laps and if you take away warm up and cool down laps, losing even 1 - 2 laps worth of data becomes an issue. I am hoping this is due to the iPhone not getting good enough signal so I purchased the SkyPro GPS sensor to see if that helps. In addition, I am hoping it provides better accuracy for the lap data and maps as well.

Unfortunately I just read that there is a bug in iOS 8.3 which blocks position information coming from Bluetooth GPS devices. Looks like there may be a workaround but I will be really disappointed if I cannot get this to work for this weekend.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4-18 Track Day

Track Day on Saturday was good. We ran the 1.7 CCW. Posted a best time of 1:32:04. I am not convinced the external GPS fixed my issue. I had three laps that were all multiple laps merged. Two used the iPhone internal GPS, but one was the external. The reason the internal GPS was used is that if there is no bluetooth connected to the Skypro it turns itself off. They way we were setup, it was really rushed and a couple of times I forgot to turn it back on. The one time it was definitely on but still merged them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Disaster!

Well disaster struck today. I changed out my cam follower after about 10K miles. I took the car for a test drive and when I was almost home pushed it hard when it all went bad. As far as I can tell, the three bolts holding on the HPFP blew out and the HPFP blew off the engine. This in turn smashed the cam follower and the end of the HPFP. The car was towed to Dubsquared and they already started the tear down. I know I am down:
  • HPFP
  • Cam Follower
  • Timing Cover
  • Some gaskets
They will find out tomorrow if the cam is good or needs to get replaced as well.

Here is the thing. I only torqued the three bolts to 7 ft-lbs. I even used my torque wrench on this. You can clearly see in the first picture that the bolt came out with the threads of the cover still attached. Dubsquared confirmed that all three bolts had the threads ripped out. I really don't believe I over tightened the bolts causing this, but cannot think of any other explanation.

Bolt with torn threads

HPFP

Cam

Follower and HPFP Tip

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well disaster struck today. I changed out my cam follower after about 10K miles. I took the car for a test drive and when I was almost home pushed it hard when it all went bad. As far as I can tell, the three bolts holding on the HPFP blew out and the HPFP blew off the engine. This in turn smashed the cam follower and the end of the HPFP. The car was towed to Dubsquared and they already started the tear down. I know I am down:
  • HPFP
  • Cam Follower
  • Timing Cover
  • Some gaskets
They will find out tomorrow if the cam is good or needs to get replaced as well.

Here is the thing. I only torqued the three bolts to 7 ft-lbs. I even used my torque wrench on this. You can clearly see in the first picture that the bolt came out with the threads of the cover still attached. Dubsquared confirmed that all three bolts had the threads ripped out. I really don't believe I over tightened the bolts causing this, but cannot think of any other explanation.

Follower and HPFP Tip
Whoa! Sorry to see this. My sincere condolences. :( Did you re-use old HPFP bolts or got new ones? I already did my follower twice and used new bolts. Is your torque wrench reliable for 7 ft-lbs? If you use one with wide range and you are down to low end values, you may not get the "click" when needed. Best practice is normally to first torque to lower value and then to the right one.

Hope damage is minimized. I also use Metalnerd magnetic oil drain plug to help to minimize any wear and possible damage issues. Highly recommend.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.