VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This morning I will be resetting the airflow sensor plate to it's optimal height, winding the DPR to 4 turns before full rich and giving this a try. All sensors indicate that they are working so maybe I'm just too rich at the moment. Will keep readers posted. Up until this point I have been adjusting the CO on the metering head to follow my DPR adjustment. I am thinking that if I get the plate where it should be, all I would need to do is get the DPR into an "acceptable" range where the car will run. From there I can adjust the 3mm Allen and the DPR. WISH ME LUCK...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
An update:

I have an innovate LC-1 wideband controllable 02 sensor which outputs narrowband. I am going to get the appropriate parts to get this installed on the PL.

I came across something interesting though when reading about setting air fuel with one of these widebands:

Someone suggested you need to jumper the fuel pump relay when setting the AFR BECAUSE THE "FREQUENCY VALVE" LIES WITHIN THIS CIRCUIT

this is significant to me because I had to wire up my own fuel pump relay, after mine originally shorted out in the fuse box rendering the OE slot useless.

Does anyone know if the DPR is somehow tied to the fuel pump CIRCUIT? I will be going over some mk2 wiring diagrams tonight but this detail seems like a major oversight in any MK1 16V swap. You'd think someone would put that kind of a detail in the write-up?

Anyway, cheers guys. I also read that people have had luck setting the base AFR and just unplugging the DPR/Frequency valve. It's said that the car will hold a solid 14.7:1 through the whole powerband without the aid of the DPR. This is probably my end solution. Will get back with results in two days.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The freq valve is not used in CIS-E. It is in the CIS on 83-84 GTI or a Volvo 240. The pump has no controls. It is wide open all the time and then there is the regulator at the front. CIS sends lots of fuel back to the tank.

I was thinking that you could never get it rich enough so maybe the plunger needs to go OUT just a smidgen. I know you are using the DPR current, but I have always adjusted by the O2 sensor, unplug the big green wire (open loop and set mixture for .75-.80 VDC. You can leave the green wire connected and watch it cycle, again make it 'center' around .77-.80vdc' and always blip the throttle after you adjust, let it settle and then see what it measures. You do this to take out any "lash" in the plate by making it move up and resettle.

You are correct about the enrichment when cold. This is why a CIS-E enrichment circuit triggered by the WOT switch, substituting a resistance for the temp sensor will give you full power. You can see this with a lambda meter on the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Cheers, thanks for clearing this up. Thought the two were synonymous.

So I think my best option is install the old-school wideband and report back. I'm getting a cable in the mail tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how the install goes.

On a side note, I was just told that the car shouldn't run at all with the DPR unplugged but this is not the case for me. Maybe I'm over rich on the adjustment causing it to run without being plugged in?
If this were true, my 02 circuit is not being completed through to the DPR.
Guess I'll find out when I get that AFR gauge hooked up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FINAL SOLUTION

My DPR was so out of wack that it didn't want to read at all within the acceptable tolerances.

I did a fuel volume test by pulling the injectors, putting them into individual containers and lifting the metering head to WOT for the allotted time per the Bentley manual. Figured out I was putting out WAY too much fuel.

Pulled the DPR, cranked it back a turn or two.

Repeated the test until fuel volumes were within spec per Bentley, put it all back together, adjusted CO and was able to get a good reading!

I then fine tuned er' with the ammeter and my wideband.

Runs like a top

·
Registered
615 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I had a similar issue. Finally took the plunge and bought a new DPR for $500. Fixed my problem.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts