VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

241 - 260 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: (SloJTI)

tell you what - it pushed like a brick through mud!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Re: (AlwaysInBoost)

Mark
Looking good there. Its seems to be smoking a nit going down the track not sure if its tire smoke or from the motor. You still need to shift faster
. Anyway, I'm starting to get things in the works with my car and the future project. Call me this weekend.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Re: (QuickBlackGTi)

yeah the motor was built a little loose so its got some blow by.
I got a bunch more vids from the track rental last tuesday but I won't post them up because I think everyone is getting bored with seeing these domestic cars

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Re: (Gary C)

Quote, originally posted by Gary C »

wished i had the loot to throw a Mark Williams modular under my car. sweet build, looks like a serious outlaw 10.5 contender! id like to see the rest of the car of the car if you have any more pics. 1st gen camaros have been my personal fav. since i was a kid.
heres another domestic, a chevy 2 that i had my hands in for years. helped build the chassis, motor, and turbo setup. was a blast to drive/race.
the early days, it wouldnt even fit in my garage with the wheelie bars on it! haha.

one of the last quick 8 series we ran with it before it was sold off.

to anyone that doesnt like domestics, id have to say you need to go to a 10.5 tire event and see some high hp cars run on a small tire. its a blast. im not a big 'hot rod' fan at all, but im definitely a big hp domestic fan.
allen- im looking forward to seeing your rx7 run this year. looking good!

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: (oversteervw)

It really is a hell of a nice setup. My main regret with that one is I didn't snap a lot more pictures.

This one sort of counts though it'll be good for one pass then get kicked right off the track.
532" BBC - putting out 730 horse on pump.

As far as your Chevy II - what was your drivetrain setup? You guys running a blow through carb or did you go to EFI? Reason I'm asking is I've got a 351W I'm throwing together and will be running a 72mm with an .84 exhaust A/R, and am torn weather to grab a truck EFI manifold and build a new upper log style for it and run it with a dual fuel rail setup, or just to say screw it and run a pressure box and carb.
Anyway that Chevy II Looks like it must have been a *blast*! I'll have more pics of the Camaro on track once the season hits if I can get out and grab some pictures of it running. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

yeah...im still gawking at the camaro. such a clean build.
the chevy 2 was a 380ci SBC hooked to a Glide with a 98mm Precision turbo, holley efi, and a box frame backhalf from the firewall back and a 4 link setup/9" rear. its heaviest tune netted just over 1600hp w/ 23deg heads. most consistent et's were 7.70's at 180+mph on a 10.5w tire. with the rule changes a couple yrs back, it was destined to the 8.50 index class where it has competed very well under new ownership.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts

Very nice! Thanks for the information. Any more pictures of the thing? Sounds like it's a hell of a nice setup. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Were you guys running one of those bolt in front clips? The orange '67 I put a few pics up of on the last page had that setup running a mustang II IFS.
The 351W going in my '55 Fairlane will be sort of similar to the Chevy II it sounds. I'm doing 3X2" main rails with tubular cross members and a chromoly funny car style cage - the specs of which escape me at the moment. One piece 'glass flip front end, sheet aluminum interior, etc. It's getting setup with a motor plate & mounts for the 351W as well as a 428 which will find it's way between the fenders down the road. Quarter max 4-link hanging a sheet metal 9" rear with strange goodies. It'll differ in the fact it's going to run a 4" drop straight axle hung with coils instead of IFS. The 351W has forged steel rods, pistons, crank, total seal rings, etc. waiting to go in... and hell I'll be happier than a pig in mud if I can make half that power - reliably! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'd definitely love to see more pics, if you have any.

·
Registered
223 Posts

oversteer if i can get my a$$ in gear ill be there for the next event ..on the 5th ..im running out of loot ..so it is yet to be determined when the new motor will go in the car ..i still need a converter and a new nos direct port kit..as well as some odds and ends for thje new settup but ill be running a mild tune on the old motor hopefully this week ..hoping for mid to low 9,s to start off the year with then if i have to ill lean on the current 360 and hit it with a 350 hit hopefulling getting it into the high 8,s
but its running ,im missing some saftey equipment gloves ,neck brace and a few odds and ends ..

no qiuck 8 car thats for sure..

Modified by 1badimport at 4:58 PM 4-1-2007

Modified by 1badimport at 5:00 PM 4-1-2007

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Re: (1badimport)

10.90s so far - trying a new converter and a fresh trans rebuild
going to be a bracket car this year - as last year this thing went 11.05, 11.05 in the right lane and 10.96, 10.96, & 10.98 in the left at byron
there is a 10.50 in the car
at the end of the year its going to get some nitrous to see if we can crack into the 9s before the 540 monster goes in screw 07 i cant wait until 08

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Gary C »
Were you guys running one of those bolt in front clips?

yep, it had a heidts bolt on front end. that made all the difference for that car at first. it gave us a ton of room and switching to a mustang rack over the stock steering box was a big plus. from there the car just evolved rapidly from being a procharged full street car to a turbo street car, then full race at the end.
heres a link to some more pics and some other cars:
http://www.geocities.com/64duece/55idea.html
the pics of the chevy 2 are under the label "brent's 64", as he's the neew owner. the procharged 355 build was the early days of the car when it more a street/strip car. i have a bunch more, but i wont clutter this thread with a bunch of pics of one car.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Re: (1badimport)

Quote, originally posted by 1badimport »
oversteer if i can get my a$$ in gear ill be there for the next event ..on the 5th ..im running out of loot ..so it is yet to be determined when the new motor will go in the car ..i still need a converter and a new nos direct port kit..as well as some odds and ends for thje new settup but ill be running a mild tune on the old motor hopefully this week ..hoping for mid to low 9,s to start off the year with then if i have to ill lean on the current 360 and hit it with a 350 hit hopefulling getting it into the high 8,s

i hear you on the loot situation, one of the main reasons the toy truck is out the door asap for me.
i cant make it to the opener, but let me know when you head out. i'll head out there to lend a hand if needed.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #256

not a single VW on this page...i gotta fix it!

i feel better http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Family drag wagen

3.6 B6
Not exactly as hardcore as some/most of the cars here, but with nearly 300 lb/ft it does the job pretty well. . . low 14's. This family car is plenty quick enough to embarass some G35s and 330i's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Family drag wagen (need_a_VR6)

First and probably only, with fwd and a fly by wire automatic (I didn't spec the car
), it needs them (and would probably benefit from full slicks, but had problems finding an appropriate size). It lowerered the 60' from 2.4xx (trapping at +98mph) down to a consistent 2.2 (in 90*F weather).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Re: Family drag wagen (BMan1113VR)

Quote, originally posted by BMan1113VR »
First and probably only, with fwd and a fly by wire automatic (I didn't spec the car
), it needs them (and would probably benefit from full slicks, but had problems finding an appropriate size). It lowerered the 60' from 2.4xx (trapping at +98mph) down to a consistent 2.2 (in 90*F weather).

can you left foot brake that at all? i know some DBW's will let you a little bit others won't. Out Tip/1.8t will let you go about 1/4 throttle before it kicks it back to idle... i can hold about 2100 rpm's which works out to about 10psi to leave the line with
I'd think if you can hold the brake and give it a bit of gas you should see a better 60 yet. I've pulled 2.2 60's on street tires in ours. And its just a stock 1.8sneeze...

241 - 260 of 811 Posts