VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here are three of my passes..I got to other 14.9's but the peeps did not gimme the printouts. I LOVE the nitto drags they are SUPER consistent, I got like 6 good passes, all almost identical. I had a blast and had a good race with a new mustang GT (he was close, got a 14.7 but he redlighted..hehe) and a civic hatch (90, with vtec dohc swap) BUT since the tires are lower overall dia. than stock I had to shift to 4th way before the 1/4 mile..

btw, I used nitto drags at 18psi. no seat and VP c12 (5gal.)

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (Anton73)

DAMN dude, a 9.6 1/8 mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was gonna say you either had boost or juice cause my boy ran a 9.7 1/8 mile with a 4000 quattro with a 5000 Turbo motor in it, with a 13 flat 1/4 and judging by the 1/8 mile time you got I knew you had something nice done to that motor. Props to you and keep tinkering, gotta show them 5.0's whats up

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (DubinBuffalo)

Thanks dude
,i was happy with the results although a 14.7 is possible if i get some more practice

but peeps here have ran much better with similar mods. I am in Puerto Rico where conditions are not that ideal although today was nice. (track prep is not that great but decent)
I have 268cams, giac chip, 3.94, conical k&n in there, no cat + tt exhaust 2.5" , I have stock suspension on, I removed the pass. seat/spare and rear backrest + used 5 gal. of c12 fuel

[Modified by Anton73, 1:26 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
12,101 Posts

man thats pretty good...it must be hella hot out there..because im runin 14.8's @ 93/94 mph with a 2.4 sixty foot....thats weird...maybe i need to get some nitto drags, sounds like you like them alot...sweeeet to here though

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (Euro Flavor)

quote:[HR][/HR]man thats pretty good...it must be hella hot out there..because im runin 14.8's @ 93/94 mph with a 2.4 sixty foot....thats weird...maybe i need to get some nitto drags, sounds like you like them alot...sweeeet to here though[HR][/HR]​
It wasnt hot, bout 80 degrees, it was at night, not too humid (66 deg. dewpoint), nice. Last time I went i got a 93.6 mph trap but had different tires that were larger in dia. and didnt need to shoft to 4th (barely passed the 1/4 at redline at 7100 rpms)
any sugestions are appreciated

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]DAMN dude, a 9.6 1/8 mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was gonna say you either had boost or juice cause my boy ran a 9.7 1/8 mile with a 4000 quattro with a 5000 Turbo motor in it, with a 13 flat 1/4 and judging by the 1/8 mile time you got I knew you had something nice done to that motor. Props to you and keep tinkering, gotta show them 5.0's whats up
[HR][/HR]​
9.7 only because it's quatro and he coulnd't come outta the hole hard. I run 8.4 1/8th miles with a 13.1 @ 104mph..
Nice time though. You should be able to get 14.7's or so with a VR6. I acctually got a 14.57 and 14.69 with a stock car.. Practice makes perfect, good job!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]DAMN dude, a 9.6 1/8 mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was gonna say you either had boost or juice cause my boy ran a 9.7 1/8 mile with a 4000 quattro with a 5000 Turbo motor in it, with a 13 flat 1/4 and judging by the 1/8 mile time you got I knew you had something nice done to that motor. Props to you and keep tinkering, gotta show them 5.0's whats up
[HR][/HR]​
Maybe you mean that your friend ran an 8.7 1/8th of a mile with a 13 flat 1/4?
I ran a 9.3 1/8th of a mile and 14.3 E.T. (on street tires, and without NOS), so I would think his 1/8th of a mile should be better!?!

Anton, great races! Maybe next time you'll kick the 'stang's butt! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BTW that seems strange that you are in 4th at the end of the 1/4 mile but your speed is only 92 miles per hour?

[Modified by VR6BOPER, 6:09 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
180 Posts

Oye anton Nice runs. where did you go Carolina or Salinas? Let me know next time so I can go run my car.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (lb706)

quote:[HR][/HR]Oye anton Nice runs. where did you go Carolina or Salinas? Let me know next time so I can go run my car.[HR][/HR]​
It was salinas. Check fiebre.com. We post there when a bunch of us are going to the track.
VR6BOPER:
I have a 3.94 final drive. I shift to 4th bout 100ft before the end of the 1/4 I believe (with the nittos, 205-45-15) I use kumhos 205-55-15 on the street and I used them last time at the track and passed in third at 7100 rpms and sometimes i had to shift to 4th right before the end of the 1/4. I got milage from 92.9 to 93.6 that day and a best of 14.98 with a 2.29 60ft. SOme people here get 95+ mph with my setup in the USA, maybe I need to check something. But here on the island I havent seen a faster GLX.

[Modified by Anton73, 11:05 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

When I run without NOS I shift to 4th at about the same point as you (100' from end of track) . It's strange, because most N/A VR6 owners say they end the 1/4 mile in third gear?
Anyway, your times are great for a Jetta which would obviously weigh more than a GTI. Have you ever wighed your car?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (VR6BOPER)

quote:[HR][/HR]When I run without NOS I shift to 4th at about the same point as you (100' from end of track) . It's strange, because most N/A VR6 owners say they end the 1/4 mile in third gear?
Anyway, your times are great for a Jetta which would obviously weigh more than a GTI. Have you ever wighed your car?[HR][/HR]​
I agree because when I ran my car, I got mph of 104.7 but that was shifting into 4th at around 96+ mph or something. I don't see why you would shift into 4th at 92 mph, you sould tach that car out in the quarter. Still a good run though.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (VR6BOPER)

he has 3.94 r&p , but i would say u should be shifting ALOT sooner , cause my friend with 3.67slc i shift it to 4th around the 1000ft mark. so 3.94 sould be a bit before that
but either way glad to see imporvemtn
Tim

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (ItsukiVR6)

I shift at about 7k rpms... (all shifts). I tried shifting to 4th sooner but got lower mph and a worse time

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (ItsukiVR6)

what other mods does he have, 14.9 with 3.94? Shouldn't that be faster, I didn't see a break down of mods.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (TheDeer)

His car wasn't sorted right, it came all on at about halfway down the track, thats why his 1/8 wasn't good compared to what the 1/4 time was. Plus, were more into autocrossing than dragging, I mean we have more experience with that then dial ins and all that stuff. Oh yea, 80 is mad warm, in Buffalo NY it gets that warm in August for like 1 day, then it snows again the next week J/K Props on the good times everyone.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (TheDeer)

quote:[HR][/HR]what other mods does he have, 14.9 with 3.94? Shouldn't that be faster, I didn't see a break down of mods.[HR][/HR]​
97 Jetta Vr6, 268 cams, GIAC chip, TT exhaust (no cat), K&N conical filter in engine bay, 3.94 final drive. (+nitto drags, no pass. seat, vp fuel)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: drag racing..take 2....timesplips posted (86 VR666)

quote:[HR][/HR]there seems to be something wrong with ur car then u should be pulling atleast low 14's easy with all that... run a diagnostic on ur car to see what pops up... cuase there really is something wrong[HR][/HR]​
what should i look for?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I've heard of stock VR6's running 14.9's. Maybe its just the weather? I've also heard you should be shifting around 6500rpm but you have 268's cams.
Anyway, I think your car can go faster.
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

You got a jetta coupe Flex? The golf turned out poop, so thank god you found something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts