VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm at school at UW Madison at the moment but my 84 Jetta is back home in Ohio. When I went home over spring break the car wouldn't start, after jumping it, it would start then I'd drive around for a while and it would start fine the next day. This is a new battery, (got it on winter break after Autozone said the old one was bad) and I replaced the cable from the starter to the alternator over winter break because it was bare in a few spots.
So this sounds like there's some sort of draw on the battery, right? how exactly does one check for where it's coming from? I swapped in a 1.8L in place of the 1.7 last summer and one thing I didn't do was reconnect the cold start valve (lazy, I have the connector around there somewhere) is it possible that this is causing the drain? I also have some speakers powered by a small amp in the back, but it hasn't been working (maybe because of my poor wiring job in connecting the wires). Basically I hate electrical stuff and any help I could get in narrowing the problem down would be helpful before I go home next month. Oh one other thing, my radiator fan hasn't worked for a pretty long time either and it works on direct power and I did get a new switch, though it could be bad. Sorry about the length Thanks.

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: Draw on battery? (vwjim)

First you have to verify that the battery is good, even though it's new, and that the alternator is good.
If that checks, then you can look for power drains. The best way I've found is to get an ammeter and pull the fuses one at a time, put the ammeter leads where the fuse was, and check how much power is being drawn.
Thomas

· Registered
9,777 Posts
Re: Draw on battery? (Thomas_covenant)

For the rad fan hook it up directly to the battery (a good battery), you can throw a fuse inline if you want. If it works then check your wiring, if not get a new one.
Also verify that where the wires are conencted to the fan that they are still making contact.
If you want a more elaborate explaination of Thomas' post, read the FAQ. But do what he said about pulling fuses and using the ammeter there, it's easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.