VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of these hood insulation pads and the site says they have a self-adhesive backing. Every other hood pad I have installed on other cars I have used 3M Super Adhesive. Anything less than the 3M adhesive and the pads would fall off soon after installation. Has anyone had first-hand experience with these pads? Was the self-adhesive alone enough or should I consider using an additional adhesive like the 3M?

New pads will go a long way at cleaning up an otherwise clean engine compartment. I like the "pebble" pattern more so than some other pads that are just smooth.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Grille Hood Light Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello mate.

The self adhesive backing is very good, never had any complaints/ come backs. As long as the bonnet is clean of old adhesive and fully degreased it won’t come off. Take care when the backing is off as it is very sticky, the pads are also stretchy without the backing do ensure you don’t stretch/ pull them when attaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
Look into some 3m adhesive promoter. Mercedes SLR had problems with their door seals not staying on. One of the work procedures was to put some of this on the surface. It works but you only get one chance for the application of the adhesive. It will not pull off the surface without some damage to the foam.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used 3M on a hood pad install on one of my Mercedes and you are right, you get one chance and it is stuck.

I have found that of all the methods talked about on forums to remove residual pad material and glue the best and easiest by far is one of these eraser wheels designed for removing things like decals and pinstripes.

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Auto part Bicycle part

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
Oh yeah, that works great. It's like a huge eraser. I could have used one of those on my homework when I was a kid. So many mistakes back then.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have used 3M on a hood pad install on one of my Mercedes and you are right, you get one chance and it is stuck.
Most likely stuck forever. I have used the 3M trim adhesive for a number of repairs to sagging trim and hood blankets. The spray was too much mess to deal with for me, but the brush-on type has been holding inch thick mylar faced foam under my cars hood for over 15 years, without issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have given some thought about what to do with the stickers. It looks like the original foam didn't cover them, but not sure I like that look.

My thoughts are, can these stickers be had new or reproductions? If so, I was thinking of maybe ordering a couple sets to see how different options go. I doubt just the stickiness of the sticker would last long staying attached to the foam. Alternatively, I was thinking of laminating them and then using some 3M adhesive to attach them to the pad. Another idea would be to use the hook half of Velcro if that would grip the pad. Of course, they could be eliminated altogether.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Cannot remember exactly where but someone does produce repro stickers. Saw somewhere on a FB group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may have better luck trying to remove the original decals with a heat gun and razor blade than finding replacement ones.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I may have better luck trying to remove the original decals with a heat gun and razor blade than finding replacement ones.
Hood lining from Dreadnought / Joost are great products, The set on my cabrio ( with the self adhesive backing ) are now at about year 6 with no issues, they stand up to the Aussie heat fine so far ( 45 Deg Celcius in the summer months )

As for the hood decals and any other decals for your Scirocco you require ping Darko and email. I had him do me a set of VIN decals for my LHD car a few years ago and also purchased several complete decal sets. If your particular decal is not on the web site you just need send him a good JPG image of the particular decal you have and he will replicate it.

There are some images on my "All the way from america" vortex post...

OEM - Car stickers

Good luck (y)

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I have given some thought about what to do with the stickers. It looks like the original foam didn't cover them, but not sure I like that look.

My thoughts are, can these stickers be had new or reproductions? If so, I was thinking of maybe ordering a couple sets to see how different options go. I doubt just the stickiness of the sticker would last long staying attached to the foam. Alternatively, I was thinking of laminating them and then using some 3M adhesive to attach them to the pad. Another idea would be to use the hook half of Velcro if that would grip the pad. Of course, they could be eliminated altogether.
I'm the original owner of mine and the foam is cut just like on yours. (On second glance, mine is cut straight across.)

I'd like to get some stickers in case the hood gets painted or I swap a 16V into a Scirocco or MK1. There are VW part numbers on the stickers so they can be looked up online.

The vacuum and EPA stickers are a requirement on emissions-controlled vehicles. Some places might fail the car if they were missing or in the wrong place. The testing station wouldn't have the factory settings as displayed on the stickers if they were missing. Mine has CA emissions according to the sticker.

My EPA sticker is perforated like a price tag that rips apart if you remove it. I think that's so you can't transfer it to another vehicle.

My '77 Ford has its EPA sticker on the left valve cover. It's handy for checking timing and idle specifications. I think it even has the spark plug part numbers.

I wanted cruise control, so the dealer installed an aftermarket kit using a Golf II stalk. The bracket for the cruise control accelerator cable cut the foam and put a dent in the hood. The foam on the right got greasy from the alternator belt. I ripped out the crap about 20 years ago and replaced the stalk with a correct MK1 stalk. They didn't do shirt for dealer prep so it still has Cosmoline from the factory. I have tried different substances but couldn't get it off. I hesitated to use really strong solvents lest I strip the paint. I don't think they are in business anymore, but I digress...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts