VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys and gals!

Long time user/lurker here. I've been looking for another fun car after I sold My 2001 S8. I loved it, but with all the weak points, not to mention the fact that an uninsured teenager ran a four-way stop and totaled it, I was forced to move on.

Fast forward a month ago, this little guy came up on my radar. A 2004 Cubantie Silver Mercedes E55 AMG. Two owner and very well maintained. Mostly stock except for lowering links, a larger heat exchanger, 180mm pulley, and a mild tune.

The maintenance records on it are extensive. All within the past two years or 10,000 miles:

Brakes/rotors front and rear
Tires
Oil Change/Cabin filter
Transmission filter/fluid/conductor plate
Air intake sensor
S/C pulley/bearing, belt tensioner & pully, idler pulley & bearing
Front and rear suspension/air compressor with new lines
Alternator
trunk motor
D/S seat switch
S/C oil
...and some other regular wear and tear items.

I picked it up the other day, and I must say...I'm impressed! It has very solid sensibilities during normal driving, but when you give it some throttle, you better hold the hell on! It really puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel and start it up. Every time you punch it, you can tell the traction control is doing everything it can to keep up.

I am very happy with this purchase, and I suspect, barring any uninsured motorists out there, it will last much longer than the S8!

Anyway, enough talk, here are some pictures:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Personal luxury car

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some interior Pictures:

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle

49,141 miles!
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Gauge

Yes, the cup holder still works!
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Car

Speedometer Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument Gas

...and some extra parts:

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Sleeve Hood Bumper Grey Automotive exterior

There are a few minor things I need to fix. The carpet in all the map pockets are coming unglued. The steering wheel shows signs of wear, a few nicks and scrapes here and there, and the front parking sensors seem to go off randomly. Other than those minor issues. It seems to be a well sorted car, and at only 49,XXX miles, it's a good find. I'm looking forward to many road trips up and down the Gulf Coast with this guy!

·
Registered
Mk6 GLI & W201
3,632 Posts
Congratulations. I absolutely love these cars, one of my friends has a gorgeous white E55.

Sent from the Dimsdale Dimmadome via Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimsdale Dimmadome

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,256 Posts
Looks lovely! I remember those breaking brains when they came out due to how fast they were. I drove my Uncle's not too long ago, and they still boogey.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Mercedes has extended the warranty for the SBC braking system indefinitely btw so keep that in mind if you have any issues. They are fantastic cars! Congrats!

Reactions: costaccm

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Beautiful car, and as the nascar folk say, it's all ate up with motor.

Keep us posted on the ownership experience! Kinda ominous that it goes out of it's way to tell you that currently there are no malfunctions. A more positive way of saying that would be 'health check complete' or, in absence of negatives, not saying anything at all. 🤪

·
Registered
180 Posts
congrats on the new purchase op, how much did that thing cost you? there's this youtuber who owns a couple of amg and this channel is got me into looking at this months ago lol I think the name of the channel is street car legit or something like that.

·
Registered
85,870 Posts
Wow, that's really nice!
But what the heck is "Cubantie"?
Made up word to make color seem super special?

·
Registered
85,870 Posts
Letters are transposed. Cubanite is the color name
Oh, ok. That makes more sense.
I thought zee Germans had stolen an old GM play of making up Italian sounding names.
Allanté!
Trofeo!
Lol.
On topic.
Those headlights were always an interesting design, but they look horrible when they haze yellow.
The OP's look almost new.
Some type of clear protectant on them?

• Haha
Reactions: iamnotemo

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
622 Posts
Looks like its in excellent condition. Congratulations! I've always wanted an E55. Clean W210s are starting to climb up and I would imagine the W211s will follow (if they haven't already - haven't checked) considering the performance increase with the supercharged engine compared to the NA W210.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts