VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I will be starting a new project this fall. I was trying to decide what vw motor i could swap and bla bla bla than i came across the sceneit built and a light came on. I can put any 4 cylinder i want in a mk1 rabbit. So in the spirit of good mindful discussion, i propose this. Of you had to choose the best 4 cylinder, in the guidelines, what would it be?

Guidelines:
Under 1k $ used
All motor no force induction
Cost to tune
reliability

Thanks for playing :popcorn:

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
Chevy ecotec. The 2.2 is non VVT, so it's pretty simple, mechanically. All aluminum block, so it's light too. 150hp, and the manual gearbox is cable-shifted with a hydraulic clutch. They were in about a trillion cars from the early 2000s up, and can be purchased cheap. My wife has an 04 Cavalier 2.2 manual, and it's pretty damn fun to drive. It's got a great torque curve for a light car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 2.2 definitely has some great potential, I've done some research on this power plant and the only negative is the timing chain, but the motor is readily available!

Ps the intake is on the right side of the engine imo

·
Registered
461 Posts
If I had to build another mk1/mk2 in my life I would build a 2.0 20v NA. Excepts for the cams, all other parts are cheap and easily found. My friend had one dynoed at 200 Whp... probably that a street setup would be arround 165ish whp.... low torque but high rev. that's perfect for a light chassis... running a 2002+ aeg wideband injection, tuning is easy for those who can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
2.0 20v is an interesting idea, and the h inly has to be on the motor, if your handy with a welder just about anything could go in a mk1 rabbit however, i did recently research some b20 info, ceazy numbers like 245 na at 8k rpm

Ps anyone have a link to a thread or a member for the 2.0 20v build all my search came up with is questions and lost dreams

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah you can't beat Honda for naturally aspirated 4 cylinders, a vast choice of parts which are typically cheap, lots of support, cheap to make fast, a tuned H22 in a mk1 would be naughty. Or a hybrid B, the possibilities are endless.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i decided to stay vw i more than likely would just swap a vr6 with itb's. I really am just looking for a fun and different project, i do love the 5 cylinder but the cost is just too high.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
If i decided to stay vw i more than likely would just swap a vr6 with itb's. I really am just looking for a fun and different project, i do love the 5 cylinder but the cost is just too high.
Itb's on a vr6 would need stand alone ect. There's a mk2 that has it. If your looking to spend under 1k on a swap you should really ask yourself what you plan to do with the car? Anything you can think of has prob been done. I've seen vr5, twin 16v twin vr6, nls' 2.5 rabbit, k & h series motors, windstar v8... Drakes caddy pickup has a tritan v8... To even 2.7tt motor and the r8 rabbit... Nashty rabbit is another good one. Wanna get crazy? Drop an early cummins 12v in it! Boils down to how skilled are you? How much money are you willing to spend? And what exactly are you planing to do with the car? You can have an 8v that came stock in the car and build a show stopper or you can drop about 3k on a sti or 2jz and build something completely redic. Boils down to time, money, and skillset imo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very true, im pretty handy and looking to expand said set, over s few weeks of looking over hundreds of awesome builds I've been thinking alot about an autocross car and, and i understand it will be more than 1k. Im really drawn to simple motors, na single cam or something with big displacement. With a car as light as the rabbit you don't need big power just a good power to weight ratio.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.