VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Re: Drive Axels (Beowulf-X)

Oregon Drive Axle Supply in Tigard.
503-639-9476 ask for J.R.,
should only be him answering the phone anyway.
i think for a rebuilt unit
it'll run 49.99 or 59.99 with exchange.
he'll ship UPS to eugene no prob
but you pay.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Dunno if im willing to pay shipping not saving much extra.
I can get one in town for $60 but if autozone has them for 59.99 with a lifetime warenty, I might give them a call and check that out tomorrow. Axel is just making horride sounds. nice loud "wob wob wob wob wob" sounds. Im pretty sure its the CV joint towords the wheel. And my friend is pretty damn sure the noise its making isn't the wheel bearing. says it sounds more like a bearing is dead in the axel, or missing. or fell out.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Be careful. A faulty CV joint sounds kinda like a ratchet when you are turning sharply in one direction.
A faulty wheel bearing can have a high pitch whine as-well-as/or a rotating grinding noise that dissapears while turning in one direction and gets louder turning the other direction.
I just had my wheel bearing changed i had the noise you mentioned above and it dissapeared after it was changed.
Does it get louder at highway speeds? If so i would look at the wheel bearing before you go buying a new drive axel.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
At Auto zone, they may tell you 69 or even 79, but TELL THEM you want it for 59 like I did. They are SUPPOSED to sell it for 59.99. Outer CV joints can make the noise you described but usually make a click clack click clack noise, Inner joint can make noise going in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: (mattressmac)

actually auto zone has different prices in different areas.
they can't match prices on special order parts either, so what the computer says is what you pay if it has to be ordered.
at my store (east texas) i have to order it and it is 79.99, so i'm gonna go to oreilley's and get it for 59.99.
mines been making noise for a while, sounds like a clicking noise if you turn sharp, until i get a chance to change it i just baby it around corners, in parking lots and pretty much all around

jeff

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Is the boot on that axle bad? If not I'd definately lean more towards wheel bearing failure. "wob wob wob wob" sounds just like what I heard when my wheel bearings went. The good news for you is it happened to cost me $60 to replace them
- $20 per bearing, and $10 for each bearing to be pressed out and the new one in. A fair amount of labor involved in taking the wheel bearing housing/steering knuckle out, but not too bad.
-Rob

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Re: (jeff piwonka)

Quote, originally posted by jeff piwonka »
actually auto zone has different prices in different areas.
they can't match prices on special order parts either, so what the computer says is what you pay if it has to be ordered.
at my store (east texas) i have to order it and it is 79.99, so i'm gonna go to oreilley's and get it for 59.99.
mines been making noise for a while, sounds like a clicking noise if you turn sharp, until i get a chance to change it i just baby it around corners, in parking lots and pretty much all around

jeff

That's what I'm saying. It was special order for me, also.
They told me 79.99. I said "a bit high", they said "hold on I'll see what I can do", I said "how about 59.99? cuz that's what it is down the street (at O'reilly's)", they said "okay, that's our lowest price on axle assemblies anyway" Then he punched sopmething into the computer, and it was done. I like O'reilly's better, anyway, but O'reilly's couldn't get the axle the same day, so I went to Autozone.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I don't know if its the wheel bearing or the axel, Im really not sure. Its coming from around the wheel. And it does go away slightly when turning to the right. (passenger side is whats having the problem.) It makes a loud sound, it dosn't just humm or sound like its grinding, at low speeds its more like "wob..wob..wob..wob" at high speeds it goes "wobwobwobwobwobwob" But in the way it reacts with steering makes it seem like the axel, when I accelerate it pulls to the driver side, when I slow down, it pulls to the passenger side. Its not the allignment either. But if anybody can help out with some info on what wheel bearings do, or what axels do when going bad, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My wife’s car did the same thing when her cv joint went under warranty, it wasn't worn, it had a broken ball bearing and it made almost the same noise and it also affected the steering. To be sure you should remove the axle, remove your brake pads and spin your hub by hand. If the bearing is gone you will definitely hear it.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I'm 50/50 on the bearing/axle diagnosis. Might as well replace both. A bad bearing can produce a humming noise that varies with speed, and comes and goes with steering.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Beowulf-X »
Its coming from around the wheel. And it does go away slightly when turning to the right. (passenger side is whats having the problem.) It makes a loud sound, it dosn't just humm or sound like its grinding, at low speeds its more like "wob..wob..wob..wob" at high speeds it goes "wobwobwobwobwobwob" But in the way it reacts with steering makes it seem like the axel, when I accelerate it pulls to the driver side, when I slow down, it pulls to the passenger side.

Beowulf, I would *definitely* replace the pass side wheel bearing and probably the hub too. Resistance is what's causing the pull. If the hub is shot - and it can be, BTDT - it could cause the brake disk to be wobbling with the wheel. The hubs can fail on the OD where pressed into the bearings, if the bearing is wiped out bad enough.
One word of caution - the hub carrier can be damaged too, and it won't be evident when you look at it (the ID where the bearings are pressed will be damaged). You'll just be replacing bearings every few months.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Re: Drive Axels (Ron P)

aren't the hubs kinda expensive to replace? I'm thinking that my pass. side axel is done too...starting to make odd noises.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: Drive Axels (DarthStitch)

The hubs themselves are $20, about the same as the bearings. The hub *carrier* could get expensive new, but there are tons of good used ones out there.
Ron

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Okay, hub $26, axle $60, bearing $26. about $110 when you're done with it. you're also gonna need to take it to a place where they can press bearings, unless you have a special tool to do this, and you might as well, as it should cost at least 15 and a wheel alignment will cost you about 50. Unless you take your 110 dollars worth of parts and pay a mechanic an hour and a half (100), so you spend around $200 to get this done, and you won't have to worry about the passenger side falling off when you're driving. YOU COULD, just replace the axle yourself, and see if you've fixed the problem-- and if not, immediately do the other work (or have it done, you'll save some money in hourly pay with the axle already done)

Modified by mattressmac at 1:51 PM 2-15-2004

1 - 20 of 26 Posts