VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1988 Scirocco with a 1.8 16V engine.
Lately the car developed and intermitent "sputtering" problem. This morning on my way to work it got worst. When starting from a dead stop the car would start jerking back and forth like a wild horse the revs will bounce from 1,000 to 2,000 and the car will barely have any power. If I press the clutch an rev the engine without any load it will rev normally, the jerking only appears when the engine is under load. This jerking will stay throught all gears, the car will run, but alway jerking and underpowered. Then, suddenly, the car will start running like nothing was wrong with plenty of power. A few minutes later the sputtering will come back. What could be causing this?
The car is mostly stock with the exception of a TT header and cat and a set of Autotech street cams. T-Belt was recently done as well as spark plugs, cap, rotor.
TIA

· Registered
7,961 Posts
Re: Driveability problem, need help!!!!!!!! (Rabbitgti1984)

Check all your HT leads, and try swapping the coil, sometines when that breaks down it can work intermittantly until it finally dies and leaves you stranded. Certainly sounds ignition based.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Re: Driveability problem, need help!!!!!!!! (Rabbitgti1984)

I had a problem just like that. I replaced the coil first and it got better but did not fix the problem. With mine I found the ground that goes from the intake mani to the firewall had broken. Once I replaced the ground wire my car ran better than it ever had. I hope this works for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.