VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There’s absolutely nothing to hate about the Audi A3 TDI. For just over $30,000, one can get a premium badge, excellent German build quality and dynamics, a small-yet-roomy package, nice features, and a whopping 42 highway miles per gallon. Where are the drawbacks?

Well, 140 horsepower is an incredibly low number for something this high upmarket, and while the muscle flex of 236 lb-ft of torque helps the A3’s on-road sensation of speed, its official 0-60 mph time of 8.9 seconds won’t exactly help lure in more sporting window shoppers, even if an S-line exterior appearance package is standard equipment.

Full Story

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
George -

Nice writeup. The TDI A3 has been selling gangbusters here in Northeast Ohio, even without quattro. I get the impression that Audi has been pleasantly surprised at the very solid reception the TDI has received, along with the updated packaging and pricing over the last year or so.

My '06 A3 has been holding up well and as I look ahead, I'm very excited to see what Audi offers in the next generation A3. Any additional word on the street for when we might expect a reveal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
far from perfect, but still a good car.

I like driving my TDI, but it is far from perfect IMHO.

Big turbo lag, so it's scary darting across traffic; no homelink for any price; if you want clock on radio, you have to push station button twice to change; too much engine noise (more firewall sound dampening please); noisy stock tires; should have the 170hp TDI to differentiate from the VW line; no one-touch sunroof; no solid shade on sunroof; bad NAV system; fewer features than many VW's at thousands less; no memory seat; no indicators for seat heaters on; auto headlights should be standard feature; auto fan speed rarely drops to low settings; overly bright yellow airbag warning; poor wheel control of radio stations (doesn't move to your next saved station); glovebox design actually holds little...

But yes, it still is the right car for me. Just saying that for almost no dollars it could be a lot better, and there is no reason that they should not surpass VW standards given the price difference.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Well, to be fair lair12, I think that's just what George was arguing in his piece: the A3 TDI is a great car, but compared to the new Mk VI Golf TDI it's a hard sell, unless design and brand are the most important issues to you.

I can't find fault with your comments, with the exception of the NAV, which is still the older RSN+E model, but far superior than that I've used in most other cars. I'm very interested to see what the next generation A3 brings us since this current generation has been around for going on 6 years.

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be clear, the story was written by one of our contributing editors Stu Fowle.

Still, the A3 was an interesting strategic move for Audi. In order to keep pricing and simiplicity in line to make the model doable they did go without some things but that helped streamline the car in order to drop it here at all. Same goes for the engine as it's the same spec as the US Volkswagens in order to not have to go through all of the cost hoops associated with a new engine for this market. Plus, going to the higher hp version would have necessitated quattro by Audi's measure and that adds both cost and weight and also hurts efficiency.

That said, I've heard that the Audi has an extra balancing shaft and is likely less harsh as a result as compared to the Volkswagens.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
lair12, do you experience the lag when you suddenly lift off the brake and then stomp the accelerator? It's not turbo lag, it's the DSG clutches not engaging and it's just how it feels. Hesitate a split second before pressing on the accelerator may help. Very common complaint. Personally, I've never noticed it. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/8p/2010-2011-audi-a3-TDI-checklist.htm Here's a buying guide on my site with more info and commmon problems, it's just TDI.
That said, I've heard that the Audi has an extra balancing shaft and is likely less harsh as a result as compared to the Volkswagens.
It does not. It uses the exact same engine as the 2009 jetta. For some reason, they changed the VW tdi engines but not the A3 tdi engine for 2010. They did change the balance shaft module and oil pump on all 2010 - that's probably what they meant. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...cjaa-cbea-engine-audi-a3-golf-jetta-tdi-2880/ Here are the long details on my Audi a3 TDI forum, just TDI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, my problem is not with a "stomp" at all, but just with a need for consistent acceleration when I start to put my foot down on the accelerator. I've never had a diesel or dsg before, but I am very hesitant to rush into a traffic opening.

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lair12, do you experience the lag when you suddenly lift off the brake and then stomp the accelerator? It's not turbo lag, it's the DSG clutches not engaging and it's just how it feels. Hesitate a split second before pressing on the accelerator may help. Very common complaint. Personally, I've never noticed it. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/8p/2010-2011-audi-a3-TDI-checklist.htm Here's a buying guide on my site with more info and commmon problems, it's just TDI.

It does not. It uses the exact same engine as the 2009 jetta. For some reason, they changed the VW tdi engines but not the A3 tdi engine for 2010. They did change the balance shaft module and oil pump on all 2010 - that's probably what they meant. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...cjaa-cbea-engine-audi-a3-golf-jetta-tdi-2880/ Here are the long details on my Audi a3 TDI forum, just TDI.
So they added the balance shafts to the VWs for 2011? BTW the A3 also has an electric heater so heat is almost instantaneous. I'm not sure the VWs have that but maybe they've since added that too.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just got one as a loaner ... got it for the weekend at least, since my fuel pump is crapping out and the dealership is backlogged. So far I am quite impressed, I was not really expecting super performance, but I was rather disappointed with the amount of lag and random delays in throttle response. Over all, I would love to have this car as a daily. Just not the 'fun' car...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No, my problem is not with a "stomp" at all, but just with a need for consistent acceleration when I start to put my foot down on the accelerator. I've never had a diesel or dsg before, but I am very hesitant to rush into a traffic opening.
Either something is wrong with the car or something is wrong with your driving style. Many have complained of a hesitation from a stop before the clutches kick in.

So they added the balance shafts to the VWs for 2011? BTW the A3 also has an electric heater so heat is almost instantaneous. I'm not sure the VWs have that but maybe they've since added that too.
No, they all have balance shafts, 100% sure. They changed the part number but I don't know why, read the thread on my forum for the long explanation.

All TDI in NA all have electric cabin heaters. All VW TDI in Canada have engine block heaters. In the US, only the A3 has an electric block heater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
170 tdi quattro

I agree here, US needs to get some better cars here, seriously Audi, Can we get something here, no no S3, can only dream of RS3....can we at least get a decent TDI? I am ready to upgrade my A3 3.2......but with what?...i can only down size here:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.