VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my drivers side power window went out and would not roll all the way up. At first, I thought it was the window that broke.. But it was fine. When i try and roll the window up, it rolls down, when I try and roll it down , it rolls partially up..
Any Ideas what is going on?
It is on a 97 glx.
George

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: Drivers power window went out? (GeoGlxn)

Welcome to the wonderful world of power window regulators. It's a bout a $180 part from the dealer. it is only 5 bolts holding the whole assembly in but it can be a PITA to get at.
If this is your first, expect 3 more.

G

·
Re: Drivers power window went out? (Spd33)

find it in the classifieds for like $100. go in the door panel with no fear and fix it yourself in 45 minutes.. and a few scraped knuckles.
it's not fun, but it feels good when it's done.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Drivers power window went out? (GeoGlxn)

Imagine that! Good ole window regulators! It is worth it to fix it yourself. Not too bad. And majik is right, it feels good when you get it done.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: Drivers power window went out? (superC86)

That's why I keep duct tape and clear plastic sheet in my trunk. After reading this forum, I don't trust my power windows any more!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Drivers power window went out? (Mark1)

:-D
I think Impex has them for fairly inexpensive, they are usually around $160 from the dealer, unless you get a dealer that is willing/able to get you the hookup (I've bought two rear regulators from the dealer for $60 each)
-- Whol

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Drivers power window went out? (Wholsea)

Thanks for all the help guys... I heard about the *notorious* power window regulator.. But *thought* it would never happen to me.
I have 105k on the clock.. and this is the first sign of any electrical problems.
There is a dealer around the corner from where I work.. We deliver to them.. so hopefully they will gemme a hook up!
George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts