VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several have reported a drivetrain vibration / locking that creates symptoms exactly like making a turn on dry pavement with a traditional 4x4 engaged in 4 wheel drive. The symptoms generally happen at low speeds in turns (for me, mostly left turns). There have been two posts on this subject thus far. They are:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1159195
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158886
I also have this problem and have been in contact with a few who have posted about this problem. Here is what I found out.
1. This problem is apparently occuring in more than just a few vehicles.
2. VWoA Regional Reps. have seen and felt the problem.
3. There appear to be three possible causes of this problem based on my research and input from other owners and a Service Manager in Florida. They are:
a. There is a large bolt (a.k.a. Pin) that connects the transfer case to the subframe of the vehicle. In at least one case this bolt or pin was at least one inch out of the hole. Someone reported to me today via email that they had the same problem, had the pin replaced and the problem was solved.
b. There is a motor (Stepper Motor) that controls transmission lock-up. On at least one vehicle, this motor has been replaced. Once replaced, the new part changed the problem but did not solve the problem. In one other case, the new Stepper Motor solved the problem.
c. Given that "b." didn't solve the problem, VWoA has authorized replacement of the transmission; which has yet to occur because the transmission is on order from Germany and due in the beginning of January.
d. There is a transfer case control module (electronics) that may also need to be replaced. (on mine, it solved the problem after the Stepper Motor was replaced.)
Modified by bravocharlie at 9:05 AM 12-23-2003

Modified by bravocharlie at 10:47 AM 1-17-2004

Modified by bravocharlie at 10:47 AM 1-17-2004

Modified by bravocharlie at 12:16 PM 3-4-2004

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (bravocharlie)

I had a similar drivetrain problem especially at lower speeds while making turns into a parking space. There was a definitive wheel shake and chatter from the drivetrain. Dealer looked into it and their solution was nothing wrong. Typical. I believe this has been suggested before, but it did solve my problem. I simply increased the tire pressure in small & equal increments to all 4 wheels. So far, the best balance I have found for me is 45 psi. I mentioned earlier this provides for a truck like ride in town, but great performance and descent highway ride being this is where most of my driving is. I have almost 10K miles and this is not an issue where it will be a matter of time as the dealers are wanting to believe. Hopefully this is an easy fix for your problem as well. If not, good luck with the dealers

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bravocharlie »

c. Given that "b." didn't solve the problem, VWoA has authorized replacement of the transmission; which has yet to occur because the transmission is on order from Germany and due in the beginning of January.
Modified by bravocharlie at 9:05 AM 12-23-2003

I thought the tranny was Japanese and manufactured by Aisin.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (TCinOC)

It is made in Japan by who I am not sure but still does not solve the supply chain problem that seems to be highly problematic. Port employees probably walking off with all the spare parts trying to build cars on the side.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (treg+tdi)

Quote, originally posted by treg+tdi »
It is made in Japan by who I am not sure but still does not solve the supply chain problem that seems to be highly problematic. Port employees probably walking off with all the spare parts trying to build cars on the side.

Haha..you never know. Btw, the company who manufactures the tranny is in fact Aisin. They also make parts for Lexus and Toyota. Cayennes have the same tranny, too.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Follow up.....
At the 5000 mile service, I told the dealer I didn't want the vehicle back until the drivetrain locking issue was resolved.
The dealer has ordered a Stepper Motor which should be in in 7-10 days according to VWoA. Who knows where its coming from. Anyway, the Stepper Motor is attached to the transmission or differential up front and apparently, these have been causing problems with the symptoms of mine and others on the forum.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Several have reported a drivetrain vibration / locking that creates symptoms exactly like making a turn on dry pavement with a traditional 4x4 engaged in 4 wheel drive. The symptoms generally happen at low speeds in turns (for me, mostly left turns). There have been two posts on this subject thus far. They are:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1159195
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158886
I also have this problem and have been in contact with a few who have posted about this problem. Here is what I found out.
1. This problem is apparently occuring in more than just a few vehicles.
2. VWoA Regional Reps. have seen and felt the problem.
3. There appear to be three possible causes of this problem based on my research and input from other owners and a Service Manager in Florida. They are:
a. There is a large bolt (a.k.a. Pin) that connects the transfer case to the subframe of the vehicle. In at least one case this bolt or pin was at least one inch out of the hole. Someone reported to me today via email that they had the same problem, had the pin replaced and the problem was solved.
b. There is a motor (Stepper Motor) that controls transmission lock-up. On at least one vehicle, this motor has been replaced. Once replaced, the new part changed the problem but did not solve the problem. In one other case, the new Stepper Motor solved the problem.

My binding drivetrain problem is fixed!!!
The dealer replaced my Stepper Motor today (Part #: 0AD-341-601-A) and that has solved the problem (at least thus far). I should say that my dealer originally checked the Stepper Motor and indicated everything was fine with it, but I shared with him my research on the subject; particularly my discussions with Bram who had the exact same problem and provided what ended up to be the solution. I also talked to Dave Claus, Service Manager at Gunther VW in Coconut Beach, Florida who was very helpful to someone from NH looking for some information about this problem. Dave spent at least 10 minutes with me on the phone talking about what he has seen and made some recommendations on what to check and look for. Gunther is one of the largest VWs dealerships in the U.S. so they've seen their fair share of Touaregs.
For those of you who have this problem, you may also want to check for abnormal tire wear on the inside of your front tires. I had mine rotated so I'll monitor the new tires on the front for wear to see if the problem with the Stepper Motor resulted in abnormal tire wear.
What does the Stepper Motor do? The description of the Stepper Motor can be found on Page 51 in this document: http://www.ohiovw.com/files/to...d.pdf
It is the black thing in this picture:

Modified by bravocharlie at 8:54 PM 3-9-2004

·
Registered
218 Posts

It is sad that VW service does not have a good network to identify these problems early.
It is very cool that we have this forum to network ourselves, and shape our own outcomes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (zbwmy)

Have the same problem and have had the stepper motor replaced. Not a complete fix so dealer will try another unit. Supposedly the replacement is not the updated unit it should have been. I will give my dealer the bolt suggestion as well and see where that goes. And yes, it is sad the VW doesn't do a better job in tracking their cars and the problems they develop.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (vanlarry)

Can you shed any light about the "updated" Stepper Motor. Was there an issue with the original Stepper Motor design that has been updated?
Also, have you had any abnormal tire wear in the front?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Had to do with serial numbers. Below a certain number there is apparently a known problem. I went to the dealer today to take a test drive with the tech. He then looked for fault codes and made a note off all serial numbers related to the tranny. After doing so he mentioned to me that it looked like the stepper motor was not "above" the problem range. I hope he made a note to self to verify this kind of thing before replacing parts. Next step is get in touch with VWoA service desk and get their advise. I'll keep this tread posted on anything new developments.

Modified by vanlarry at 3:08 AM 1-23-2004

Modified by vanlarry at 3:35 AM 1-23-2004

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

After a full day of driving, the problem seems to be solved. However, on a few occasions, I get some very "quiet" binding at the left rear in a left turn. However, most of the time it is fine. I am wondering if this is how it is designed or as the service manager at Gunther described one of the fixes "it changed the problem, but did not resolve the problem".

·
Registered
5 Posts

I got my stepper motor replaced as well. Similarly, it seems to be 99.9% fixed, but in sharp/slow left turns I feel a verrrrry minor binding. Maybe I'm being hypersensitive--I don't think I'll complain unless it becomes more noticeable or someone is certain that it isn't normal. Perhaps the vibration is due to the damged front tires, which are yet to be replaced (they are on order at the dealer, they are replacing them for free). Again, it is quite minor and rarely occurs, so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (Badransom28)

Do others (with or without the problem) notice a slight grabbing or binding noise in left turns as described by Badransom28? It would be very helpful to know if more of you hear or feel this "quiet" grabbing/binding so those of us with the problem can determine whether or not we still have a problem or if this is just a normal characteristic of the Touareg.
The way to check this is to drive forward, come to a stop, turn the wheel to the left, make a 90 degree turn, in a constant acceleration (slowly) and listen for the drivetrain noise.

Modified by bravocharlie at 10:55 AM 1-25-2004

·
Registered
5 Posts

Bravocharlie...
You should ask your dealer to give you new front tires. I requested them and VW granted the request. Even if your tires aren't damaged and/or are still acceptable, at least you will have the spares!
best of luck...
Kris

·
Registered
5 Posts

To be quite honest, I haven't a clue. I'm completely ignorant as far as tire wear goes. I made the request to the dealer simply because I assumed that if my tires have been used under crappy conditions, then it probably did something crappy to them. I didn't even look at the tires before I brought the car in. If you could tell me what to look for, I'll go take a peek at the car and get back to you. My girlfriend has the car at work right now, so I'll check after she gets home.
K

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Drivetrain Vibration / Locking (Badransom28)

First, make sure your fronts haven't been rotated to the back.
You should be able to feel "ridges" on the inside of the treads as you run your hand from front to back or vice versa along the inside of the tread, you will definately feel the ridges.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Do others (with or without the problem) notice a slight grabbing or binding noise in left turns as described by Badransom28? It would be very helpful to know if more of you hear or feel this "quiet" grabbing/binding so those of us with the problem can determine whether or not we still have a problem or if this is just a normal characteristic of the Touareg.
The way to check this is to drive forward, come to a stop, turn the wheel to the left, make a 90 degree turn, in a constant acceleration (slowly) and listen for the drivetrain noise.

Modified by bravocharlie at 10:55 AM 1-25-2004

Bump http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Can some of you let us know if yours does this? Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my Touareg. The rear differential feels like it's binding in low-speed turns.
I took my Touareg in for an oil change last week, and the mechanic noticed that the inside of the front wheels were worn excessively. He rotated them to the back.
I didn't have time to leave me Touareg with the dealer for what I suspected would be several days / weeks, so he didn't look at the differential yet.
I'm taking it in again this week, and will suggest that they replace the stepping motor and tires.
-Jason

1 - 20 of 75 Posts