VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all aware that these occurrences started a few years ago. But I wasn’t aware how rampant it was until I installed a Ring. The local neighborhood reports pour in overnight. Some are clearly the same group of people and vehicle. For instance we have a light colored newer CR-V that is a well known repeat offender. But now I’m seeing some rather rare/expensive cars doing this. You’d think these brave and idiotic would be thieves would use something more generic than a SQ5 or A7. And now they are backing right into driveways, the balls. Probably because what charges would stick if caught? Criminal trespass? Slap on the hand. I’d love to rig a nice 12V system to the door handles for a quick jolt.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
This happened to me and I lost all of my golf clubs, golf shoes, freaking everything - I was going to play the next day. After reviewing my footage, I screwed up the door didn't lock, but they took EVERYTHING out of my trunk. And while it was worth over the $900 limit for a felony here in CA, nothing happened. Police just encouraged the HOA to get better cameras and lock our doors. I posted a video of the guy and then I got hit with "you're a racist" "that's a woman, not a man" blah blah blah. :laugh:

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
Door checking? Like they back in, try all the car doors to see if they are open and steal stuff if they are?

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
We've had a few incidents in our neighborhood last year, right as Summer vacation started. The neighbors also had Ring footage and it's clear that the perpetrators were bored HS kids looking for a quick haul. What was most surprising was how many neighbors keep their cars that are parked outside unlocked.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This happened to me and I lost all of my golf clubs, golf shoes, freaking everything - I was going to play the next day. After reviewing my footage, I screwed up the door didn't lock, but they took EVERYTHING out of my trunk. And while it was worth over the $900 limit for a felony here in CA, nothing happened. Police just encouraged the HOA to get better cameras and lock our doors. I posted a video of the guy and then I got hit with "you're a racist" "that's a woman, not a man" blah blah blah. :laugh:
That's horrible, not to mention the feeling of violation. I need to invent a door handle surprise for these scumbags.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Door checking? Like they back in, try all the car doors to see if they are open and steal stuff if they are?
Yep. Or they just slowly crawl down the street checking driveway to driveway. There are at least 3-4 shared Ring neighbor posts every night here of this (think of the much larger scale of this). Even with flood lights that automatically come on, etc. they just don't care. Like this:

·
Registered
39,713 Posts
We had a rash of these in the townhouse section of our neighborhood a year and a half ago. It probably still happens, just not being reported.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I love living in the woods.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,314 Posts
I should get my s**t together and install the cameras I have.

If it happens enough, there's gotta be a way to rig something that lets them know "we" know. Like an airhorn under the seat. Wire an alarm to go off when the door is open or handle is lifted. Motion-detected garage door opener.

Unfortunately, "coyote-getter" type of passive deterrents are illegal.

I would say that the use of nicer vehicles, like the SQ5, are either stolen or used to blend into the neighborhood. Because #stereotypes.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,035 Posts
Our neighborhood has some people walk through doing this at least two or three times a month. We park in the garage for several reasons, but this certainly being one of them. These people need to meet the business end of a baseball bat.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Our neighborhood has some people walk through doing this at least two or three times a month. We park in the garage for several reasons, but this certainly being one of them. These people need to meet the business end of a baseball bat.
Same here. My camera gets them about twice a month on foot around 2-4am. One person on each side of the street. Neighbour across from me has been hit twice. Neighbor next to me has been hit once. Nothing valuable was in either car so they just made a mess of the contents in the globe box and trunk

The typical grid layout of every neighborhood in my city makes it that much easier for them.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Not so fast..

bears being bears videos
hmm... I love living in the woods AND parking in a garage :laugh:

Also, that neighborhood picture makes my hair stand on end.. I can't imagine living in a house so close to another house. The lack of privacy and anxiety I would have from it... more power to you urban/sub-urban dwellers!

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
I wonder if anyone's Tesla has gotten a better look at the people via Sentry mode.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Not aware of any of this happening in my area as of recently. I have indoor parking so definitely not worried.

Bunch of idiots should sit on a nine iron and vomit grip for a month.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,035 Posts
I wonder if anyone's Tesla has gotten a better look at the people via Sentry mode.
Doesn't matter. Cops don't care because even if they can identify who it is they will just be back on the street in a few hours anyway. Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

1 - 20 of 198 Posts