VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,607 Posts
Our Local PD tried that kind of thing with us, except it was almost an entire block of cars someone had taken a huge flatheaded screwdriver or something to and ripped locks ( like the circular mid 90's door locks ) off trying to break in, and smashing windows if they saw anything and couldn't pry their way in. After the 4th or 5th call someone responded and actually dusted for fingerprints and they caught him since he had at least a zillion priors....

All we got was an "I'm sorry" letter from pretrial diversion BS. Dude had pages of priors and they let him go writing letters to get away with it.
Once again, that is breaking and entering into locked vehicles. They will respond to that.

They won't respond to "I uh, left my car unlocked last night and someone stole all the sh*t out of it".

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I have to park on the street, so I resigned myself long ago to the fact that my door handles will get yanked every once and a while. I keep everything locked 24/7 and there is nothing of value in the car. I'm working on getting my GF to be better at it...not necessarily at home, but when we're out and about, sometimes she'll want to leave her purse in the car if she doesn't have a need for it wherever we've gone, but she never bothers to conceal it and I have to remind her to put it in the trunk so it's out of sight.

There was a rash of incidents in my neighborhood a while back. There's an auto auction that adjoins the area; I suspect that people would go to the auction at night, hoping to steal a car off the lot, not realizing they have night security guards. So they get scared away by that and jump over to my neighborhood looking for something else to swipe.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
My wife on the other hand leave shopping bags, etc. The hatch of her SUV looks like a target. Tell her all the time.
Ugh mine too. "Honey what are all the bags in your car?" "Oh well the Marshalls bag is returns, the Target bag is returns, the Hannafords bag is empty grocery bags for recycling, the WalMart bag has donations in it", and so on and so on and so on.... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Every time I clean the inside I take all of her bags out and leave them on the garage floor. She doesn't like that.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
What else you got?

:laugh:
Looking at the damage, it looks like an insider bear. The door seems to be busted from the inside out.

Plot twist: Bear is in the picture.

When I lived in an apartment complex this happened a lot. My neighbor came out one day to his door slightly ajar and stuff has been gone through. We also had occasional glass breaks and I’ve found discarded empty wallets and phone cases on morning dog walks after the night of break ins.

Who leaves phones and wallets in the car anyway? Thieves aren’t likely to break your windows unless they see something valuable. That’s why I never have anything visible aside from a phone charger.
This reminded me, I had a phone stolen from my unlocked car back in 1994. Back then phones were mostly used in emergency situations, provided you only had 20 free minutes a month and $1+tx afterword. Additionally, those phones had memory for 10 numbers only.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
From last night, we’ve moved onto snatching front plates. My guess is to use to start the door checking activities.

Having your plates stolen or cloned is a major annoyance. My plates were cloned and they are being used in another province, the driver is racking up toll fines and the authorities seem to be incapable of doing anything about it!

Usually we're great with keeping our cars as empty as possible and keeping things well out of sight but one of the only times I forgot to lock my car of course someone got in and took a pair of sunglasses. Not a big loss apart from sentimental value I suppose. I think it's the idea that's disturbing, that as soon as you turn your back there are people waiting to snatch things from you. I guess it's symbolic of our failing systems and the growing desperation of so many people.

Never mind door checking, windscreen wiper theft is very annoying and leaving your car unlocked means your car's battery can be easily stolen if there's nothing else to steal

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yeah, our local police blotter used to be have a smattering of "unlocked car in the driveway petty theft" every week. I think like others have posted, the police have almost stopped responding

These days the blotter is filled with what seems to be unending cases of unemployment fraud....:(

·
Registered
38,409 Posts
Love how this only happens in blue states/cities LOL.

Not to sound like billy badass but a lot of you say this happens like clockwork 2-3x/mo. That's the point where I'd be sitting in the dark with a rifle waiting to scare the ever living **** out of someone.
You aren't serious, right?

Hmf. Guess the same logic can be applied in a lot of ways. You shouldn't have entered my home, now you don't have a face left. Sounds like a you problem!
Alright, we get it Shoot them all. You'd shoot them all. We get it.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
From last night, we’ve moved onto snatching front plates. My guess is to use to start the door checking activities.
Another reason to get rid of front plates in this state. CT actually did do that back in the day, but I guess they weren't putting enough crims to work in the license plate factories so they started mandating the 2nd plate when they updated the design in the late 80s/early 90s

·
Registered
CarTruck
10,541 Posts
Alright, we get it Shoot them all. You'd shoot them all. We get it.
eh, what is a little civil litigation over wrongful death.

After we sold our last home, the new owners apparently left keys in both of their cars + unlocked and lost their vehicles. They even tried to sending us a letter stating we didn't disclose the neighborhood. :laugh: idiots.

Personally, I've had one car stolen (and on the news with a chase, i got it back 3 days later and it never ran right again, gmc jimmy slt), the thieves were kind of enough to leave another stolen vehicle in our yard. Think for 5 years, I left the hardtop off the TJ everyday in Cali, only thing was stolen was the wheel lock socket out of the center console. I'd say, the only car which I had broken into many many times was my old Corrado when I was a teenager, i'd get cased where I lived and I probably had 5 quarter windows broken, new dash as they rip the glovebox apart, etc. Someone even tried stealing it and pushing it out to the driveway and gave up. I never had anything in it besides some sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We had a theft ring that had a reach of around 4 counties doing this $hit. Got my neighbors old iphone he used for music and they got a laptop from someone in the neighborhood too. They pried my fuel door open once, filed a police report for it.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,321 Posts
eh, what is a little civil litigation over wrongful death.

After we sold our last home, the new owners apparently left keys in both of their cars + unlocked and lost their vehicles. They even tried to sending us a letter stating we didn't disclose the neighborhood. :laugh: idiots.

Personally, I've had one car stolen (and on the news with a chase, i got it back 3 days later and it never ran right again, gmc jimmy slt), the thieves were kind of enough to leave another stolen vehicle in our yard. Think for 5 years, I left the hardtop off the TJ everyday in Cali, only thing was stolen was the wheel lock socket out of the center console. I'd say, the only car which I had broken into many many times was my old Corrado when I was a teenager, i'd get cased where I lived and I probably had 5 quarter windows broken, new dash as they rip the glovebox apart, etc. Someone even tried stealing it and pushing it out to the driveway and gave up. I never had anything in it besides some sunglasses.
I'd start hanging out at Jeep functions/boards and listening to stories, waiting for that one guy to say, "One time I had a flat, but I lost the wheel lock, so I started to walk home. Suddenly - a Jeep with it's top off! So I rummaged around in this guy's Jeep and found one! It was awesome. I always meant to buy a replacement for him, but I forgot where he lived."

:laugh:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Once again, that is breaking and entering into locked vehicles. They will respond to that.

They won't respond to "I uh, left my car unlocked last night and someone stole all the sh*t out of it".
I'm more following the decent of the US police into lazy power tripping bastards. There is not protect and serve, no investigating of most property crimes, even if it's a slam dunk. Many PDs wont even respond to an accident anymore or do a police report for property crimes and theft.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I was listing to the local radio station (NJ101.5) on the way home, and they were talking about people who leave their cars/homes unlocked and "car door checking". Either things are suddenly getting bad everywhere, or more people just finding out about their car doors are being checked, since almost every house has a camera system now.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Not suddenly. Being hearing about increasing catalytic converter thefts for months now. Poor people are hurting in 2020.

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
Not suddenly. Being hearing about increasing catalytic converter thefts for months now. Poor people are hurting in 2020.
Adding to this, people in the suburbs who were always doing fine are joining Nextdoor and buying Ring cameras.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Adding to this, people in the suburbs who were always doing fine are joining Nextdoor and buying Ring cameras.
Suburban folks spying and crying is how I describe that trend.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,321 Posts
I was listing to the local radio station (NJ101.5) on the way home, and they were talking about people who leave their cars/homes unlocked and "car door checking". Either things are suddenly getting bad everywhere, or more people just finding out about their car doors are being checked, since almost every house has a camera system now.
It's a combinations of multiple things.

1. Economic uncertainty makes people desperate
2. Rising number of drug users
3. Technology has made things cheaper

I think it's more #3 than anything else. Now anyone that has an Internet connection can easily get a home security camera system. Don't need to call ADT or Brinks or anyone else. Spend $500 and get an out-of-the-box solution.

My buddy has an old iPhone setup as a camera that looks over his garage. He has footage of prowlers. And there are 4-5 LEO who live in his neighborhood, including one Sheriff that lives maybe 8 houses down.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts