VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driving down from New Jersey or New York - Late Wednesday departure? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering it is 12-13 hrs to Fontana, I am planning on leaving between 12 and 2 am - driving 95 south - to drive through Baltimore and Washington well before rush hour on the DC beltway. I've taken 81 south in the past and the VASP intercepted several cruising cars with expen$ive results. I want to arrive in time to get a few refresher Dragon runs on Thursday.

:beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leaving from NJ about 5am. Last year we went in a cruise of about 12 cars. It was good, but we all broke up into groups of 3-4 after a while. Keep your walkie talkies on channel 3 sub channel 2. This way, if you see another R you can ping them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's looking like 5am on Thursday is a 2 to 1 favorite so far. This departure time could turn into an interesting cruise depending on the planned route! :D
How many other VWs from Metro NJ/NY are going south to drive the Dragon?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaving from NJ about 5am. Last year we went in a cruise of about 12 cars. It was good, but we all broke up into groups of 3-4 after a while. Keep your walkie talkies on channel 3 sub channel 2. This way, if you see another R you can ping them.
Considering your Thursday 5 am start, which route are you planning on taking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention, i am leaving Wednesday. I always go a day early. Being a 12 hour ride, i like to,get a few days in at the dragon.

Route wise, i didn't think about it yet.

:)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention, i am leaving Wednesday. I always go a day early. Being a 12 hour ride, i like to,get a few days in at the dragon.

Route wise, i didn't think about it yet.

:)
Business forces Thursday departure for me, and I appreciate the importance of weekday Dragon slaying. I considered the 95S cruise route which takes a mid-night departure to be past the Baltimore/Wash DC commuter traffic and arrives at Fontana early Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'll be going south from Rhode Island,Not sure if im leaving Wednesday night or Thursday am.Last year I left R.I. about 4pm and made it to Knoxville for sunrise,which made it easier to get to Fontana with daylight after the long drive.
Walkie talkie on board CW MKV

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be going south from Rhode Island,Not sure if im leaving Wednesday night or Thursday am.Last year I left R.I. about 4pm and made it to Knoxville for sunrise,which made it easier to get to Fontana with daylight after the long drive.
Walkie talkie on board CW MKV
Wednesday night, Thursday am - that's close to my game plan time wise, what route are you considering? The Wookies use channel 3 sub 2.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wednesday night, Thursday am - that's close to my game plan time wise, what route are you considering? The Wookies use channel 3 sub 2.
Last year I had it all planed out but once it got dark I just go where the voice in my phone takes me :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last year I had it all planed out but once it got dark I just go where the voice in my phone takes me :D
:laugh: That sounds familiar, I use my GPS and a highway route sheet on the visor clip.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A room just opened up at Fontana and I reserved one, it has 2 queen beds and will be only using one. Open to share to anyone who wants to use the other bed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm driving from CT on Wednesday. Seems like i81 is the best route to take. Would be great to meet up with a bunch of you.
The Baltimore - Washington DC commuter traffic will ruin your cruise...... 81 is the best route. Be Safe see you there :beer:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Avoid DC area as much as possible. It's bumper-to-bumper even on Sundays!

I'll be leaving a bit earlier that I thought so hope to see some of you on I-81!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm driving from CT on Wednesday. Seems like i81 is the best route to take. Would be great to meet up with a bunch of you.

What time are yo leaving on Wednesday?I'll probably head out after 3pm give or take if anyone wants to meet up.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CAPTAIN'S LOG 4182016

Update: Departed Wednesday @ 11:30 pm arrived Thursday @ 12:30 pm - managed to run 80% with a R32 driven by 3 Maniacs from Maine who took turns blasting through the night at 85+/- MPH. The drive down was a complete blast, thanks to a brilliant lead by the Maniacs, I hope their WITW was equally great, thanks guys.

This years WITW Organizers did an excellent job coordinating and hosting the event and a big thanks to Volkswagen for an excellent BBQ :beer:

My daily Dragon drives alternated with blasts on the Cherohala Skyway and ran the Skyway with a Wild Wookie Quartet of 2 R32s, a TTRS, and a 911 and managed to keep up as the tailgunner on the blast back to Robbinsville. Thanks for letting a Red Gti "tag along" it was great fun. I even managed a Sunday AM Dragon run on the way home, at 6:30 am when traffic is notably light on the Dragon. Flying low and solo, I was home by 6:30 p.m = don't ask, fortunately only one Sheriff pacing me at 65 mph and almost no traffic made the drive home almost as exciting as Wednesday night.

All in all, a simply fantastic adrenalin pumping time running with a great crew of dedicated Wookies. Now I have to wait for WITW 17 which won't be easy; but, if you are reading this you know exactly what I am talking about. :wave:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anyone in the area going for the Fall Run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts