VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe my eyes. I just saw a guy pull-up next to me in a 540i sport and he was donning driving gloves.
I wanted to smack him.
Where was the members only jacket and Carrera sunglasses?
Anyone else buy this type of crap?

Modified by Meaney at 3:44 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
goggles > driving gloves
I have a pair of isotoners that are very nice to drive in but I only wear them in the winter, obviously.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Re: Driving gloves and other enthusiast apparel. (Meaney)

I once saw a guy driving his Miata down the highway wearing a leather aviator cap, goggles and white scarf. It was quite an amusing sight, believe me.

Modified by MEIN_VW at 3:49 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Re: Driving gloves and other enthusiast apparel. (MEIN_VW)

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »
I once saw a guy driving his Miata down the highway wearing a leather aviator cap, goggles and white scarf. It was quite an amusing sight, believe me.

Was it a red Miata? Maybe he thought he was Snoopy?

·
Premium Member
10,987 Posts

man i would pay to see something like that

·
Registered
18,581 Posts

That is awesome. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
P.S. This guy sort of looks like Ashton Kutcher..

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I have a friend that has driving shoes... he swears by them.. he says it makes his shifting that much smoother...
if i owned a roadster and the wheel and shifter had been out in the sun then I probably would wear a pair of driving gloves if i had a pair.. i might even go out and buy a pair... but in a sedan?
now.. if i were in a really expensive car i would do whatever i felt like doing - and if the car cost over 100k then the sunglasses, members only jacket, and driving gloves would all come out to play. what are people gonna say? "look at that goof ball driving that ferarri... what a fool"
why would i care! hahaha.. i'd be driving a ferarri!
i want a white dodge viper with pink racing stripes for the same reason. when someone pulls up to me at a stop light and starts laughing at me because of the pink stripes.. i would just rev it and scream "what?!?! I can't hear you!!!"

Modified by x1000rpms at 12:58 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
16,722 Posts
I wear gloves to drive in the winter when the steering wheel, shift knob etc. are still cold.
During winter autocrosses with the top down, driving gloves are basically a necessity. Mechanix gloves make *great* driving gloves.

·
Banned
9,071 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Meaney »

Anyone else buy this type of crap?

exactly what i was thinking when i read the thread title!
unless you're fully geared up & racing, it's all just a bunch of crap, IMHO.
edit:
i'll admit though, i have opted to wear leath shoes or running shoes vs my steel shanked/steel toed work shoes when driving - purely for safety reasons, as i don't find that clutching/braking in steel toed shoes is very easy to do as the soles are so stiff/thick/heavy etc.

Modified by vw_dick at 9:12 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Re: Driving gloves and other enthusiast apparel. (vw_dick)

Whenever I go out either in my Passat or the wife's CR-V, I am sure to wear a full fire suit, driving gloves, driving shoes, and of course goggles and helmet because you never know when you're going to have to throw down.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Re: Driving gloves and other enthusiast apparel. (00Psst)

I can see a scarf if its cold. gloves if you have a convertable driving shoes are just plain pimp. bit driving around in a 4 door sedan. I bet his designer picked them out because it made him look "ooo soo cute"

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
My rule is the top goes down when it's above 40 degrees F, and in that situation you really need gloves, so yes. A british cap, too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Though I'd prefer to think I look like Nigel Shiftright vs. Snoopy.

Edit for rule #1:

Modified by juice at 4:55 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Re: (juice)

The only driving equipment that I wear is some leather gloves in the winter. In the summer less is more.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Re: (Akira714)

Quote, originally posted by Akira714 »
I sometimes wear them when my hands get sweaty during spirited driving.

I'm the same way. I'm one of those sweaty palm types, and I have a great pair of thin, unlined driving gloves that I use for spirited drives and when I'm on-track. They really improve the feel of the wheel and shifter. Now, I don't wear them when I'm driving to the store or anything like that, but they're great to keep in the glove box when I need them.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am a huge fan of Piloti driving shoes. I may get a ton of crap about them from my friends but they make shifting alot easier IMO, especially in helping with heel toe. I only wear driving gloves if it is below 40 degrees out and that is so my hands don't freeze off.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: (IJM)

"You know: they say
cinnamon is wonderful for your
pores. Read that on the internet.
And that ideally you should be
wearing gloves to bed, but I find
that would interfere with my
social agenda"
-bernie mack from ocean's elven (this thread made me think of that quote)

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

Open-knuckle gloves like that are just cheesy, though, and useless, too. Yeah, your palm sweat won't get on the wheel, but your hands won't stay warm or, in the case of a fire, protected.
Did his 540i Sport have an alcantara wheel? I know the 330i ZHP has one, and those wheels require constant care if you drive bare-handed.
Some leather wheels can be sort of fragile too. Mine needs to be cleaned badly, and it has scrapes on the bottom (presumably from jeans or jacket zippers or something getting dragged across while sliding into the car).

·
Registered
44,387 Posts
Re: (juice)

Quote, originally posted by juice »
My rule is the top goes down when it's above 40 degrees F, and in that situation you really need gloves, so yes. A british cap, too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Though I'd prefer to think I look like Nigel Shiftright vs. Snoopy.

Edit for rule #1:

Gotta love Nigel! Didn't he have a couple of machine guns on that old MG??? "Egad! roll-up windows on a sports car?" tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat.

Modified by Air and water do mix at 5:48 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
44,387 Posts
Re: Driving gloves and other enthusiast apparel. (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
Open-knuckle gloves like that are just cheesy, though, and useless, too. Yeah, your palm sweat won't get on the wheel, but your hands won't stay warm or, in the case of a fire, protected.

Hmmmm, I used to drive a car with an aluminum shifter. In the winter, you'd better believe I was wearing just what you described!

Edit: the open knuckles are so that your hand will close around the wheel/shifter better. It lets the material relax.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts