VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw one of the saddest things happen on my way to work. A 1.8T GTI broadsided by a wrx that ran a red light. The driver of the GTI was alright, and amazingly so was his car . The wrx on the other hand, dont look to hot. If i had a camera i would have taken pictures. Man, seeing that wrx adds another reason why i wouldnt buy one, the whole front end crumbled. Sad for both tho

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: Driving Horror (turbo_nine)

Reminds me of the day I was slowing down for a light and noticed this Accord full of women (all looking around like they were searching for a store near the intersection).
The lack of braking told me, "uh, oh.." Sure enough, she drives into 3 lanes of traffic. Fortunately for her the light had just turned green for that lane and few of the drivers were at any real speed. BUT, there was a lane open and a lucky Pontiac got through and to his displeasure... there was a profile view of 4 shocked women in his way. SCREEEEEECH!! BAAAAAAAAM!!! SCREEECH!!
Had the light been greener longer, she would've have surely been nailed by another car. They were all lucky. Only the clueless driver seemed slightly battered. The hit by the air bag probably didn't feel to good either.
I felt bad that I didn't honk or something, but it was one of those things that happened so fast and I was in total shock as to how oblivious to the red light they were... you could tell that NONE of them noticed the light until they were a milisecond from impact.

[Modified by uncleho, 12:39 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Re: Driving Horror (hinshu)

That WRX would probably be totaled by the insurance company. The GTI would run up a repair bill to around 10k, or more. It could be totalled by the insurance company, too, if the unibody was bent.
BTW, I was almost broadsided by a Toyota Tocama 2 days ago in Jersey City. Stupid guy didn't see the redlight. Lucky I was making a left turn. If I were going straight, I'd be shopping for a new car now.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Driving Horror (roblu)

Well when i mean the body crumbled i mean it looked like it ran into a brickwall at 50mph and the brick wall won.. when all actuallity it was probably going no more than 20mph. The GTI didnt look to have that bad of damage.. the air bags didnt come out on either side so i guess thats a plus. but still if you were to look at the wrx you wouldnt be able to tell what it was..
a impact at 20mph or less shouldnt have resulted in the amount of damage caused to the car unless it is poorly made

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Driving Horror (A2JettaDriver)

quote:[HR][/HR] The driver of the GTI was alright, and amazingly so was his car
The car's alright? What do you mean by alright? Driveable? Tiny dent? Salvageable?[HR][/HR]​
Yes driveable, because after the impact he backed up and almost hit me and turned around and pulled into a parking lot. The air bags didnt even deploy. The Driverside door and rear quarter panel were smashed in... not that bad, but they would still have to be replaced

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]BTW, I was almost broadsided by a Toyota Tocama 2 days ago in Jersey City. Stupid guy didn't see the redlight. Lucky I was making a left turn. If I were going straight, I'd be shopping for a new car now.[HR][/HR]​
Or in the hospital. I cannot STAND people who run redlights. Who do they think they are? You have no precedence over anyone else when it comes to sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts

Man... I wasn't there, but it seems hard to believe that the Golf didn't sustain major damage to the body... damage beyond repair. It is good that the Subie crumpled bad. That impact energy sounds like it got absorbed mainly by the Subie.
I've been in an accident at 20-25mph vs. a, ahem, a wall when I was young. That made for some interesting damage.
As for the lack of airbag deployment... I'd be scared about that not going off. You'd think at ~20mph, you'd want your money's worth!

·
Registered
13,194 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]a impact at 20mph or less shouldnt have resulted in the amount of damage caused to the car unless it is poorly made[HR][/HR]​
You just wish you had one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.