VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to drive my car up to the mountains to go skiing. I have heard that this can be really hard on the paint of the car, especially in Washington becaue they use lots of sand and gravel on the road. Would a bra be any help, but i have also heard these cause more damage. any advice is greatly appreciated.
matt

[Modified by snowman75, 6:17 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (snowman75)

If you don't want to damage your car, don't drive it in the snow. That's as simple as it gets. A bra won't save your skirts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (snowman75)

quote:[HR][/HR]I want to be able to drive my car up to the mountains to go skiing. I have heard that this can be really hard on the paint of the car, especially in Washington becaue they use lots of sand and gravel on the road. [HR][/HR]​
I quit my job up @ the Summit due to exactly that reason! I could not bare to have my car trashed just for a free seasons pass!
What I do need is a cheap ass dub that can get me places my GLi can't! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (dubwerkz)

just stay home and sleep during the winter. that way you'll KNOW nothing will happen to the dub http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (MyBlackGti)

rocks would be the biggest worry, jsut wash it after to get rid of the salt.
and make sure u have good tires, or your screwed.

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (The_Hamster)

We don't use salt here, but gravel is a biggie. I've lost more than 1 windshield to it. I also have 2 broken headlights thanks to it.
If you have to: get that 3M plastic stuff and put it on your headlights, the leading edge of your hood and fenders. People that used to own my car skiied a lot--it shows.

And like Hamster says--if you're gonna do any amount of snow driving, get some 13" or 14" steelies and throw on some decent snow/ice tires.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (SeattleGLI)

buy a beater and put 13-14 inch stealies... winter tires are not absolutely necessary as long as you have a decent set of all season tires.. i'd do a 250mi drive half of it in a snowstorm, all of it with 0 asphalt under my wheels at decent speeds... a2s were made for it

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Re: driving in the snow (FiReSTaRT)

if your worried about chipping your paint, dont drive it! if your worried about salt, just wash it after!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts