VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few cars (g3) with the driving light grille setup, and on ebay they sell well....and I was at the races a bit ago and saw a FUGLY golf with a ghetto setup....totally homemade....made me wanna puke....even say something to him, but he was big....so i thought i'd poll....please give an opinion on why you do or do not like the grille (and what type you're referring to as i've seen a couple)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (98vwgti)

I don't care what people say, but I actually kinda like the Votex grille with the driving lights. I think MKIV's and the Votex grille would be a rare and cool looking combo, although I'm more partial to my badgeless.
Here's Steve P's car a couple years ago..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (K-Fresh)

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think they look terrible. these aren't rally cars, so you don't need an extra set of lights. they just make it look stupid.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (K-Fresh)

quote:[HR][/HR]...... I think MKIV's and the Votex grille would be a rare and cool looking combo, although I'm more partial to my badgeless.
[HR][/HR]​
OK, now I will be the first to agree that not everyone likes the look...but, if you live in a rural area and use your brights a lot, the extra light ROCKS! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Yeah, it makes the front end look busy. But at least it's practical....

BTW, I had a Votex grill but the lamps broke in less than 6 months with the rocks they put on the roads here. This setup is just the stock grill with Hella FF's cut into it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (Jason_Jetta_2.0)

Though the grill is cool, it is def not my taste.
But I can def see a point in them. Deer are a bad thing at night, and the better the light output you have the less a chance you are going to nail one.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to extra lights...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (JPawn1)

I am def. a fan of the euro grille setup on a2s ... but i am a 'low pro' 'less is better' type fan....thats why i like badgeless etc....but now...if i was going to get one of these I stress the IF....i would buy a decent one...not make one.....if anyone has pics of HOMEMADE ones....could ya post em?? id like to see if theres any variations, or just some NASTY ghetto setups
thanks

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (JPawn1)

quote:[HR][/HR] I know our cars aren't rally cars but I like rally cars.[HR][/HR]​
Why can't we make them look like Rally cars? I think its a cool look. NOt with all the stickers and sh** but the rugged look is cool

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (98vwgti)

quote:[HR][/HR]....if anyone has pics of HOMEMADE ones....could ya post em?? [HR][/HR]​
Well, mine posted above IS homemade.
And as far as the look...well, I like the badgeless, clean look and all myself BUT I do a lot of driving on twisty dirt roads and canyons at night and the extra light output is worth it. Besides, when I'm driving, I can't see what the grill looks like anyways
And, yes, I do like rally cars so maybe I AM a rally-wannabe weenie.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (KeithVH)

Ya know what ya could do? Take the center badge off and just mount a 3rd light there. Itd look like 1948 Tucker. And then you could have it turn with the steering wheel. Probably be fugly, but itd be original.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (Guvs97JettaGT)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ya know what ya could do? Take the center badge off and just mount a 3rd light there. Itd look like 1948 Tucker. And then you could have it turn with the steering wheel. Probably be fugly, but itd be original.[HR][/HR]​
Hahaha!
Anyways, I think the grill and lights look alright. It gives your car a split personality look. I think it's also somewhat unique.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (Guvs97JettaGT)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ya know what ya could do? Take the center badge off and just mount a 3rd light there. Itd look like 1948 Tucker. And then you could have it turn with the steering wheel. Probably be fugly, but itd be original.[HR][/HR]​
LOL! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BIG Aircraft landing light...oh baby!

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Keith, here's some food for thought. Get a badgeless grill and do that same thing you did with your stock grill.[HR][/HR]​
Yep. I'd love to do it with that "GIV look" grill.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / NEY (98vr6de)

extra lights are always a plus when on winding back roads that are over populated with deer and other creatures that tend to roam the roads at night. I dislike it when they jump down off of a side hill right in front of you....lights aren't going to help too much in that case, just have to rely on your reflexes, lowered suspension, and slotted rotors.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA /

I added the grille because at the time (late 1997/early 1998), there were no cars in NA with that grille and (as always) I wanted to be a little different. The only car that I had ever seen that grille on was the JR Motorsport Mk3 5-door VR6 Zender demo car. It was featured in their ads in the 1996 issues of "The Golf" magazine. The only shop in the US that even knew what I was talking about was VW Sport, but they couldn't source the grille either. I searched high and low for 18 months before eventually locating one. It was only on the car for a short time and I never got around to wiring the fogs up (that's how short it was on the car). I think the only way to pull this grille off is to use the Votex double round headlights with it. They use the same cibie lights that the grille does and it looks more uniform.

[Modified by VAG Parts Bin, 9:09 PM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / (VAG Parts Bin)

quote:[HR][/HR]...... I think the only way to pull this grille off is to use the Votex double round headlights with it. They use the same cibie lights that the grille does and it looks more uniform.[HR][/HR]​

I've got another better "artsy" shot at home I'll try to dig up.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Re: DRIVING LIGHT GRILLE SETUP YEA / (KeithVH)

quote:[HR][/HR]...... I think the only way to pull this grille off is to use the Votex double round headlights with it. They use the same cibie lights that the grille does and it looks more uniform.

I've got another better "artsy" shot at home I'll try to dig up.[HR][/HR]​
i like the way the votex duals + lighted grills look.. yeah it may be a little busy but its cool cause it looks like a freight train at night

jeff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.