VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Interested in lowering my suspension about 2". I currently ride on 20s (275/45) - still a bit to much open space btw/the tires and the finder-wells. Not gonna increase the wheel size - and dont want to sacrifice any more of the comfortable than I already have.
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
51,447 Posts
Re: Drop her down 2-notches (KPSII)

If you have lowered the car 2" and you still think it is too high, then you really need this:

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: Drop her down 2-notches (spockcat)

Spockcat's right (IMHO). I never understood the desire to negate the offroad abilities of the Touareg. Then again, I live on a dirt road in the woods, and now I drive a GTI, so WTFDIK?

·
Registered
550 Posts

KPSII,
If you have the steel spring suspension, you can install sport springs to achieve the desired height. H&R offers the largest drop but the firmest ride. Eibach offers a set as well that are not quite as low, but not as stiff. You can buy the springs online from several places. I purchased mine from tirerack.com and had them installed locally. Springs were $227 and installation was about $300.
Here is my summary with the H&R's.
Total drop is Front 2.75", Rear 2.625".

Front Before: 35 1/4"
Front After: 32 1/2"
Rear Before: 36 1/8"
Rear After: 33 1/2"
The ride is firmed up nicely without being overly harsh. I was curious how far these springs would lower the car, as they are advertised at only a 1.1"-1.2" drop, but I pleased to see they sit even lower.
Before and after pictures.
http://homepage.mac.com/jeffwh....html

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Drop her down 2-notches (themacnut)

Quote, originally posted by themacnut »
KPSII,
If you have the steel spring suspension, you can install sport springs to achieve the desired height. H&R offers the largest drop but the firmest ride. Eibach offers a set as well that are not quite as low, but not as stiff. You can buy the springs online from several places. I purchased mine from tirerack.com and had them installed locally. Springs were $227 and installation was about $300.
Here is my summary with the H&R's.
Total drop is Front 2.75", Rear 2.625".

Front Before: 35 1/4"
Front After: 32 1/2"
Rear Before: 36 1/8"
Rear After: 33 1/2"
The ride is firmed up nicely without being overly harsh. I was curious how far these springs would lower the car, as they are advertised at only a 1.1"-1.2" drop, but I pleased to see they sit even lower.
Before and after pictures.
http://homepage.mac.com/jeffwh....html

Hey
I do have the steel springs. The breakdown is greatly appreciated, and the pics were icing on the cake. I'm thinking the Eibachs will address my ride concerns - just need to do a little more homework.
Major thanks for info.

Modified by KPSII at 8:42 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
6,968 Posts

Quote, originally posted by KPSII »
I'm thinking the Eibachs will address my ride concerns - just need to do a little more homework.

Here is another option for you...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2463694
Bilstein setup, expensive and only made in Germany but TM Tuning can get it for ya. Cheers!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Drop her down 2-notches (Shaka)

Quote, originally posted by Shaka »

Here is another option for you...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2463694

Just peep'd your link - lost me on the CON'S note: May be a bit too firm for many comfort-riding SUV owners
Thanks thought.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts

Quote, originally posted by KPSII »
Just peep'd your link - lost me on the CON'S note: May be a bit too firm for many comfort-riding SUV owners -- Thanks thought.

Ha! I've found that MOST of the people on HERE (Vortex, ClubTreg, etc) buy their Touareg and are willing to accept a bit more harsh ride. Frankly many of us came from GTIs and the likes so its ok. And many go off-road so thats fine. However, we are the minority. Like it or not, most Touareg buyers want a comfortable ride, not a harsh one. To them the T-reg is really a luxo-vehicle.
Long story short ... people have said the Eibach setup is a bit harsher than stock, and I've found the suspension layout I have is also more firm. To me its fine, but its less forgiving than stock. KEep that in mind ... try to drive a setup on someone else's car before you do it yourself... but for what you want the Eibach kit might be best fit, best priced...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.