VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I can get some feedback in regards to drop-in filters for the 1.8T motor.
I'd kinda like to keep the stock airbox instead of going CAI. Any drawbacks to a straight drop-in? Any better brands? Performance gains or better sound? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tossed a K&N in mine, didn't notice anything really.
oh, but this last tank of gas I got >31mpg instead of the usual 30, so maybe the clean K&N is working better than the dirty OEM.
I have K&N filters in my truck, my 5.0, had one in my 2.5RS, grand cherokee, impreza L...
To be honest I never really noticed any real gains, but we're talking about an air filter here, good for what, 1hp?

As a side note I also noticed the other night that I can now hear the diverter valve when the radio is off and the windows are up, whereas I didn't notice it before.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: (silversnow)

Nope no gains what so ever. Maybe that 1-2 horsepower if anything but you have to be really twisted if you can notice a 1-2 hp gain. Only benefit of K&N is that you'll never have to buy another filter.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Re: Drop-in Filters... 1.8T motor? (BigTymer2k3)

Yeah, I've had a k&n panel and cone on my 1.8t and didn't notice too much except for a little more noise. It only occured to me, after driving around for 1/2 a year with the stock box/filter in, that I didn't seem to be getting the fuel economy that I used to get. It may or may not be because of the filter but I still think its worth getting a decent one. This time around I am trying an ITG... ordered it today.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: Drop-in Filters... 1.8T motor? (BigTymer2k3)

yeah the intake thing is really questionable. companies will say you have to be moving, but i put a cold air and a drop in on the same car. i noticed a louder car with the cold air intake but no real gains just a really loud sound of air rushing . then the drop in , no hydrolock issues and a little more sound. but i don't think you get alot of power from our cars. vws are suppose to have alot of research into getting cold air into our cars well with the stock plumbiing. i think hondaas say they get alot of power just like a kid said to me that he had a air intake and exhaust kit worth 40hp. i just rolled my eyes and said thats cool you gonna get it????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts