VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the cabby was dropped off to get a nice paint job... all bumpers, clipper kit to be removed, body work to be done, PPG paint, base coat/clear coat, and everything will be aligned and put back on.
what I need to know is:
should I keep the side moulding (the black one right below door handle)... if i remove it there will be a groove where the moulding sits, and it may look awkward... i don't wanna shave it/ fill it, since its too much work and my body guy dislikes using bondo, but I have the option of having him fill the clip holes and leave the moulding off
should I keep or shave the front orange and rear red side markers?
also.. should I keep the current quad headlight setup or go with a dual 7" crystal cross-hairs?
I like to shave the antennae hole as well.. but I like the radio as well... so where will I put the antennae since I cant exactly put one on the roof

please advise
Thanks

Modified by rabbitation at 6:00 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Re: dropped off the cabrio to be painted, need your opinions on body mods (rabbitation)

Geezus how many cabbies do you go thru?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'd shave the side markers (front and rear). Leave the black trim if you can't fill the recess left if you remove it. I prefer the look of the dual 7" cross hairs to the quad rounds too. Just do whatever suits your tastes though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Re: dropped off the cabrio to be painted, need your opinions on body mods (rabbitation)

I sent u a email of a friends car it will give u an diffrent look to ur car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif they are zender skirts and grill.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: dropped off the cabrio to be painted, need your opinions on body mods (ric302)

speedr: until i find the one that feels right.. this one may be it

dubboy: thanks for your input, i am leaning toward shaving the lights too, i will call my body guy and tell him to do so.
ric: got the pic, thanks, but wow, thats a lotta work, body work, full skirt, etc.. mine is just a simple make over to bring it back to stock, but the zenders do look nice

·
Registered
642 Posts
is the groove on both sides of the moulding (top and bottom) or just on the bottom (like it is on a2 golfs)?
If its the latter, shave it
if its the former, leave it and possibly paint it the same colour as the body

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: (chris_94jetta)

keep the clipper kit
lose the side moulding and fill the clip holes... smooth out the swage line because there might be little circular spot weld impressions on the rear quarter panels
single round chrystals
lose the side markers
get an antenna that stays inside the car... mount in the windshield or wherever you want
nice car, like the colour http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (itchyG60)

preppy: that style doesnt do it for me... i kinda like the antennae hidden somewhere (in the rain tray maybe)
Chris: there is just one groove and inside there are little holes where the clip attaches to the body and then the moulding attaches to the clips
itchy:
i am keeping the clipper of course,.. reason i said its coming off is to do the body work properly, paint under the clipper kit, then use all new fastereners, clips to mount it back on since i noticed some of the fender flares are loose a bit.
single rounds are on order from QMR, i was quoted 10 days (w/ a badgless grill and kemei upper grill spoiler)
side markers will be shaved, already told my body guy
some of the A1 forum guys suggested relocating the antennae to the rain tray area... gonna look and explore that possibility later this afternoon.
cant wait until its all done.

still deciding on suspension...i drive like a granny, don't take corners hard, and the engine will not be modified, don't wanna be a low rider and get harrassed by cops, and i want it to be super comfortable, lexus-like,... any suggestions? (keyword: has to be very comfortable)

Modified by rabbitation at 7:45 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well.. a small drop is ok i guess... no more than an inch would give it a nice stance .. as long as it doesnt geopardize ride comfort... any recommendations?

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: (rabbitation)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitation »
well.. a small drop is ok i guess... no more than an inch would give it a nice stance .. as long as it doesnt geopardize ride comfort... any recommendations?

i'd use a GTI suspension with the sway bars if you don't already have them. will stiffen up the cabby's body twist in the corners a little with the sway bars, the GTI springs drop the car about an inch, are cost effective, and the ride is okay.
sorry not up on the best suspension for comfort for these cars... i just want some bilsteins and 120km/h onramps

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

where would I get new GTi suspension? Frisco doesnt have it and dealer prices are always over-inflated.. and by GTi I am assuming you are referring to the A1 chasis GTi right...not A2.. or are you referring to A2 GTi shocks and springs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts