VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey have my paid off Jetta 3 out of warrenty. Was thinking about dropping a W8 engine from the new passat 2002. I think it would go 12.3 sec.
The dimentions of the new V8 is (L/W/H = 420/710/683 mm)
What ya guys think. Could the jetta 3 take the W8 engine. What would happen to the transmition. Could the suspention take the stress. How about my automatic tans?
Then also to change the exaust into a dual.
Where would I get the engine. How would i find one at a scrap yard.
Thanks nick
Remember the pary aint over till 6 oclock!
and my man got the hook up at the marriot!

·
Registered
23,128 Posts
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (nick2)

im almost positive your tranny will not bolt up to the w8. But if you can wedge that beast under your hood... mad props! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (Gaki)

Yea but whats the size of the engine bay becase suposidly the dimmetion of the VR6 to the W8 is only 60 mm more! With this engine the car would become a BEAST!
Nick

·
Registered
23,128 Posts

yes it is very nice

·
Registered
23,128 Posts

but youre going to pay big $$$ for it

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

nickoli... sorry to break it to you friend ... its not happening ...and if it does happen its not happening anyyyyytime soon
1.8t,5cyl,maybe even a 2.7t but not a w8 hahahhahahahaa just looking at the theory in hand... you would have to dismember your firewall and push your dash back a couple of feet hahahaha .... for w8 you would need to convert the whole car into a w8 basically ... if this was an mk4 ...i could see it happening because there was a w8 bora project test vehicle...but not in a mk3(jetta3 gls) ... hahahaha
nick its ok man we can all dream.... if i had my choice i would dump the 4.2 40 valve twin turbo euro spec s8 engine in my mk3 jetta....
but its not happening ....ever

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (STEALTHDEMONDUB)

what is the dimention of the engine bay? Just have to ask !!!! The manuel is usless!
Nick

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

i dont even need to look or even know the dimensions... i just know it doesnt fit ... but im sure you could do a search and find the dimensions of both the engines and engine bays pretty easily

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks Stealth but a man can pray "Similarly, under the hood there seems to be more room than is necessary. Certainly, the engine bay must be large enough to accommodate the 2.8-liter V-6 that goes into the Jetta GLX, but the inline four under the hood of the GLS barely takes up half the volume"

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

putt on the brakes at 55MPH with a W8...

hehe sorry its bad, i have no time, gotta finish project...
but seriously, putting in a W8 is pointless...A VR is already heavy enough up front for our lil understeering bugs...talk about a W8!!!!

[Modified by gti303, 1:25 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (gti303)

Thats what the sand bags in the trunk are for!
He he
Nick

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

have you looked at a vr6 enginebay in the mk3's?? ... nick there is just enough space for a snail (turbo) to hide right next to the firewall.. the intake manifold is a MM shy of hitting the top fan support connected to the rad support... even if you did take out all of the resivours..and. you took out the battery...if you moved everything and anything ...and had space... you still couldnt fit the w8 engine not even including the tranny lol im just thinking realistic.... the craziest engine in an mk3 i would think possible would be a 2.7 bi turbo 30 valve s4 engine ... and that would take ALOT ALOT AND ALOT of work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Tell me more about the S4 swap. Cound a S3 work. any manuel to automaic transmition issues?
Thanks NIck

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

s3???? s3 engine is 1.8t ... man i think you are a bit confused hahaha
we are talking about the 2.7 bi turbo that comes in the s4 all road and s6

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

HOW MUCH MONEY DO U HAVE?
If the answer is alot then buy another car. If the answer is "alot and I'm crazy" then goto momentum and give them 20k I'm sure they can fit whatever you want into your dub. minus a w8

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (Goobery69)

...no such thing as a W8 V8...

a W8 has three banks of cylinders, where a V8 has two.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Dropping a W8 V8 into a Jetta 3 GLS (digit21)

Friend of mine did the figuring a while ago, can't remember the figures so don't quote me on them, but its something like, to fit the W8 into the car, the front end would have to be extended a few inches, for the engine to fit, then you have to make room for the radiator (AACK!) Would not fit. Neither would the huge BiTurbo motors... Best to stick with VR6 or 1.8t
-- Whol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts