VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 mercury cougar 8 cyl 4.6 L Engine. my girlfriends' mom's car... how much horsepower is this car? i looked it up on line but i cant find the engine specs for it. i found the 6cyl.. and that says it has 145hp... the v8 hauled, nice low grumble. wish i could drop that v8 in my Jetta.. hehehe...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (CanuckPal)

merc's horsepower ratings seem low for thier engines, dont they? even the 6cyl with only 145? VW's 6cyl has 174....

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,773 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (turborave)

Yeah, the 3.8-liter V6 (which was in the Cougar, Thunderbird, Taurus, Windstar, and Sable) was rated at 140/145 hp (depends on year) but it has a LOT of torque...215 lb-ft. My dad has a '94 3.8 Taurus, and despite the fact that it has no more horsepower than a 3.0 Taurus, it is a LOT faster.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (turborave)

The Cat is 205HP, 265TQ. It uses the SOHC motor, the first evolution of the now 260HP Mustang GT motor. I drove my friends 95 Cougar for a while and around town, under light throttle it feels a lot like my 300HP Mark VIII. Drop the hammer and you will notice a big difference. The Cat will make a nice leap out of the gate then seem to lose steam while the Mark will continue to accelerate and chirp the 245s on the 1-2 shift (an absolutely delightful feeling at 50mph in a 4000lb automatic-equipped car).
All in all, it's a decent car for the money but you can get much more of everything by going with the Lincoln.
You may be right about the head gaskets, my friend had his 94 3.8L T-Bird in the shop last year for a head gasket problem.
Kale

[Modified by djKale, 8:05 AM 12-4-2001]

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]4.6 DOHC 32-valve...pretty much the same engine as the Mustang Cobra. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
nice, can I fit one in my hatch? make my golf rear-engined?

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm sure it's possible. Would make a good weekend project.
[HR][/HR]​
you're right--I'll let you know how it turns out. i'll do the swap in my apartment complex parking lot with my hammer, drill, screwdrivers and socket set.

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Don't forget to have a case of beer at your side too.
[HR][/HR]​
hehe, of course. and since my front door and bay window open onto the parking lot, I cna watch football while working.

·
Registered
19,799 Posts

Watch this space for an upcoming random post from DavidV about Holdens and Australian Ford Falcons.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (Double-V)

I have a mag that has a twin VR6 Jetta. As they say in Britian, one under the bonnet, and one in the boot. No poop. It was in a magazine called Max Power a few years ago. Has anyone else seen this thing? I'll try to dig up the mag.
Kale

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (djKale)

yes, the 3.8 had many many problems! Main reason why I would not have bought a normal Taurus... aka. "SLO" Super Low Output. The cougar/t-bird with the 4.6 is a pretty quick car for it's size and auto trans. I have always liked the Turbo and Super Coupes just because they're unique, and can be had with a manual trans.
- Brian

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (Double-V)

Well I'll just say that if anyone wants a Thunderbird/Cougar//Mark VIII, then go for it and go do some mods if you like. The whole idea here is to explore the unearthed potential of a car, then do it

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,773 Posts
Re: drove a Mercury Cougar V8 this weekend... (89TaurusSHO)

quote:[HR][/HR]yes, the 3.8 had many many problems! Main reason why I would not have bought a normal Taurus.[HR][/HR]​
Actually that engine is pretty much bulletproof as long as you had the head gasket recall done. The transmission, on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.