VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I drove my first RS3 this weekend, and I'm no stranger to VAG products. I've had a mk5 & 7 GTI, as well as a 2016 S3. The RS3 was great....love the sound the motor makes, but I noticed a strange lag I've not experienced in other VAG turbo products.

I can't recall if it did this in both comfort and dynamic mode, but certainly in comfort mode, getting into the throttle the car took a good 2 seconds for the ECU to figure out how much throttle to give me, or for the transmission to respond to either drop a gear.

I've never experienced this before with any DSG product ....is this normal behavior?

My description may be vague of the issue, but the feeling I had was that the car was intentionally holding back on corresponding power based on having to think about it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Howdy all,

I drove my first RS3 this weekend, and I'm no stranger to VAG products. I've had a mk5 & 7 GTI, as well as a 2016 S3. The RS3 was great....love the sound the motor makes, but I noticed a strange lag I've not experienced in other VAG turbo products.

I can't recall if it did this in both comfort and dynamic mode, but certainly in comfort mode, getting into the throttle the car took a good 2 seconds for the ECU to figure out how much throttle to give me, or for the transmission to respond to either drop a gear.

I've never experienced this before with any DSG product ....is this normal behavior?

My description may be vague of the issue, but the feeling I had was that the car was intentionally holding back on corresponding power based on having to think about it.
Only commenting in relation to the DSG part, when I don't have my mk7 gti in sport mode the throttle response seems laggy and the turbo lag is real. When I have the DSG in S, my throttle response is super quick and the turbo almost has no lag. Maybe it is placebo, but my suggestion would be maybe drive it again and confirm you're in S or Dynamic Mode? You mentioned you had a gti 7 before so maybe you can relate to my comments. Hope this helps. I only has 2 DSGs before and my mk6 GLI felt the same difference from S and not S mode

·
Registered
473 Posts
My MK7R was pretty laggy and I've heard from people that have owned both the RS3 is worse. I've never driven an RS3 personally.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies....I'll drive it again for sure. I've seen some reviews which explain the regular S3 feels like it has more initial response to part throttle (I used to have a 2016 S3, and I'd agree with this). Might be the way the throttle is mapped for emissions.

My Mk7 GTI was a stick...so it felt quite different :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts