VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a 95 m3 with a Conforti chip and airbox, and to be honest, it was not very impressive.
I thought that once I got back in my jetta it would feel like a turd, but it didn't at all. The bimmer is definitely a nice ride, and the black headliner rules, but it just didn't feel that fast. Anyone with a chipped 1.8t ever race one???? After driving the M, I tried to go test drive a mini cooper type s, but they were closed for the night. I can't help it, but I just keep coming back to the 1.8t gti as a replacement for the jetta!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Drove my first m3 today...not much faster than a dub! (jettajim25)

That motor pulls like a damn freight train. It has a torque curve that's as flat as a table and is geared PERFECTLY. Get on the highway around 55-60 and stomp on it. It'll change your religon. That car just goes like stink...not to mention is has one of the most well balanced suspensions you'll find on any car, anywhere. It was once voted best handling car under 40k and then best handling car period, beating out some serious exotics.
BTW-A chipped 1.8t will get eaten alive by an M3. Start talking about a bigger turbo and such it's a different story, if the 1.8t can get traction. That body/motor M3 is as close to a perfect car as I ever want to drive.

[Modified by Black_MkIV, 11:46 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: Drove my first m3 today...not much faster than a dub! (terribleone)

What is the power output in a 1995 M3? I am sure the 2002 M3 would be quite impressive when you stomp on the gas pedal!!!
-bender

[Modified by bender73, 4:41 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Drove my first m3 today...not much faster than a dub! (bender73)

they have killer mid-torque! those things pull all the way up the damn scale like a rocket...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Re: Drove my first m3 today...not much faster than a dub! (bender73)

the 95 had 240hp/240ft-lbs but were widely reported to be underrated from the factory. the 2002 is actually a departure for a BMW I6 since it develops almost all it's new found hp WAY up in the tach for a BMW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts