VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
5,040 Posts
I'm not sure how the factory handled grounding of the body, but this isn't a proper way to do it. As an old electrician I was always taught to remove the fastener as a grounding pathway. Putting metal to metal should be where electricity is conducted. You would be able to use a plastic fastener and you'd still have a good ground.

If you used the valve cover bolt made of an insulator no current from anything in the car body would flow back to the body as the valve cover is insulated from the flock by the gasket and there's a piece of rubber under the steel bolt washer. yes, you'd have continuity through the threads of the bolt, but it's not supposed to be that way.
Right or wrong, grounding the firewall to the valve cover is rather common on older cars. I try to augment that by adding more grounds to any car I work on that is grounded that way. My thought is having too much grounding isn't a thing, but having too little definitely is.

·
Registered
18,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I did rear brakes on my rabbit truck recently. Took a picture before greasing up the spindle and putting the drum on. Seems relevant to this thread.
No primary and secondary shoe? I’ve always wondered why the smaller “Primary” shoe faced rearward. Can someone explain that with more knowledge than I have?

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
5,040 Posts
No primary and secondary shoe? I’ve always wondered why the smaller “Primary” shoe faced rearward. Can someone explain that with more knowledge than I have?
That wouldn't be me. I'm the idiot that put it together and took it back apart twice because it was obvious that I did something wrong, but couldn't figure out what. Finally realized I had the lower spring in the wrong holes. I'm probably more solidly in the "parts changer" category than somebody that actually knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
trying to remember when I did mine if my brake shoes were of a different size. even on my old mercedes I think they were the same.

does the location make any difference? I read online briefly and everyone has reasons for it going both ways. 😁

161 - 166 of 166 Posts