VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I thought DSG was supposed to shift at 6500 no matter what, but when I get on it in D or S mode, especially from a launch, it revs up to and sometimes beyond 7500 rpm.
Any thoughts? Unitronic Stg1+ installed.

· Registered
2,167 Posts
The highest I've seen from mine in ANY mode is 6,680 RPM while datalogging. I'm a little skeptical that you saw 7,500 RPM... unless that's Unitronic's doing, which would be puzzling because a stage 1 motor has no business being at 7,500 RPM anyhow.

Modified by WetWagen at 1:18 PM 3-20-2008

· Banned
1,803 Posts
What you think the tach is doing and what the motor is actually doing are two different things.
The tach on these cars is slow, sometimes you'll see 7100-7200rpm but I promise you it doesn't shift much above 6500rpm EVER, unless its just overwhelmed with wheelspin in 1st gear.
This shifting is controlled by the mechatronics controller in the DSG, which is not reflashed by anyone. (yet)

· Registered
787 Posts
Re: (Robin @ Revo Technik)

Quote, originally posted by Robin @ Revo Technik »
The tach on these cars is slow, sometimes you'll see 7100-7200rpm but I promise you it doesn't shift much above 6500rpm EVER, unless its just overwhelmed with wheelspin in 1st gear.

thats the only time ive seen it.

· Registered
2,379 Posts
Re: (Robin @ Revo Technik)

when i first had my apr flash my car shifted like crap - then they tweaked the code like madmen and now it shifts rather well - what functions of shifting are controlled by the engine management machine vs mechatronics unit?

· Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, so not only is the speedo off, but the tach too? lol... silly VW.
But yeppers, it's mostly during wheel spin, which is while I was still in forgive and let live mode, but then on the highway the other day while in drive mode I "really" needed to move and stepped on it, next thing I saw was red.
I think that the shifting has something to do with torque load and rpm.

Cheers,
KH

· Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: (Kid Hobo)

you'll find that accurate gauges are less common than you would think. Water temp gauges with H and C, gauges that don't move much unless something is VERY wrong as to lessen the number of dumbfounded car owners who call roadside assist because their oil pressure needle moved from 12 o'clock. Most tachs, speedometers, you name it, are not only inaccurate but also very slow to update. Watch your tach at each DSG shift and compare that to what you hear the motor doing - the tach lags a little even with the quick DSG shifting. Panic stop from 45mph and your speedometer is still falling after the car is static.

Modified by WetWagen at 10:43 PM 3-20-2008

· Banned
1,803 Posts
Re: (mwwVW)

The DSG shifting is largely affected by engine load. If you modify the specified load you can change how it reacts. Until someone starts flashing the mechatronics unit you're limited on a few things.
This is unfortunate in the US spec R32, as the car is still making power in the UK-spec 6spd car up until 7200rpm. Our cars here are limited to 6500 and you lose a good bit of power up top.
I assure you, however... our code shifts like buttah http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.