VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, and argued before, etc. etc. but I am really looking for ppl in my position for some honest answers.
I have been driving a clutch since my '98 Altima.
I am getting married soon and the new wifie does not, nor has enough interest to learn a MT.
We have agreed that my next car (for June '06) can be a clutch, however after that, with kids coming, etc both cars will need to be accessable.
...as I'm sure anyone in a similar position can appreciate while it is no problem if I buy a MT now, a automatic would make her happy.
So here I am, looking at the DSG. I love my stick, and it will be a sad day to give it up.
How is it, in the real world with the same ppl in my position, any regrets, has your left foot gotten all fat and lazy, please let me know
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
387 Posts
Re: DSG from a 5MT convert maybe (lcohen999)

I am in the same position as you, with the concerns of starting a family, like the future wife can't drive stick, easy access for baby seat, having enough room for all the family junk. Planning ahead, I decided on switching my 20AE GTI for the A3 with DSG soon. All my previous cars was manual.
Yeah you will miss the MT tranny, but no more tired left foot while in traffic jams. You get the same fun changing gears with the DSG, plus the option of putting it in auto when you want to rest. DSG is faster than manual.
My suggestion is that you should really go take a test drive. I went last Saturday and I was hooked. DSG is just too fun to drive. After your test drive, you should only have 1 answer, which is to get the DSG.
Big http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for DSG!!!

· Registered
3,212 Posts

I was in a very similar postion, and have been one of the most vocal proponents of DSG. Honestly, I have not one regret, DSG has been the perfect compromise, infact its far more than a compromise I feel it really is a superior transmition to both. Im not trying to start another debate, but you will truely have the best of both worlds. I can promise DSG will never get boring, and you will love it, and your wife will be able to drive it (which would probably be the biggest negative)
. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PS: My left foot has not gotten lazy as I still drive my 5MT WRX (although very rarely), but it has stopped cramping as it would on my bumper to bumper comute home.

· Registered
38 Posts
If you need to share a car with someone who wants/needs an auto tranny, then it's a no-brainer, the DSG beats any other auto-shift manual tranny I've driven, including the 360 F1 gearbox.
As far as left foot atrophy goes, I doubt Michael Schumacher has gotten fat or lazy.
PS: If you don't know who that is, don't kid yourself, just get a Buick.

· Registered
3,212 Posts
Re: (AirKuhl)

Quote, originally posted by AirKuhl »
As far as left foot atrophy goes, I doubt Michael Schumacher has gotten fat or lazy.
PS: If you don't know who that is, don't kid yourself, just get a Buick.

Hes the greatest jockey ever.
jking

Modified by judgegavel at 6:09 PM 9/14/2005

· Registered
80 Posts

Quote, originally posted by lcohen999 »

...as I'm sure anyone in a similar position can appreciate while it is no problem if I buy a MT now, a automatic would make her happy.
So here I am, looking at the DSG. I love my stick, and it will be a sad day to give it up.
How is it, in the real world with the same ppl in my position, any regrets, has your left foot gotten all fat and lazy, please let me know
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

lcohen999: I'm very much in the same boat. I haven't yet gotten my A3, so I can't comment on true day to day experiences. I view the A3 as a great car for all the reasons you mentioned. With DSG, it is an engineering marvel compared to other "auto-sticks" and is a blast to drive, like a MT. And at the same time it meets the wife criteria: room for stuff (i.e. future baby seats), 4-doors. In fact, of all the cars I was considering, the A3 was the first and only one that she had an "Oh, Wow!" reaction too. She tunes out when I go on about transmissions, suspensions, etc. But she really likes what she's seen of the A3.
In short, you love to drive it, and she's happy too, without any real compromises on your part. Not too many cars can fit that bill for the price!

· Registered
5,092 Posts
Same boat too. Except I don't have kids, and won't for ad least until my next, next car (4 years). As you say, if it was up to me I would get a manual A3 and put that money towards the Nav+. But since my wife does'"nt drive stick and I would really like for her to drive me around sometimes...automatic here I come.
DSG is the absolute only automatic car I would ever even consider. Test drive it. If you are like me, you will like it, but try not to test drive the 6-speed A3....its just so damm sweet.
Same here to about my wife liking the A3....she NEVER likes the cars I like..BMW 330, M3, GTI, R32....never. But for some reason she really likes the A3.

· Registered
14,994 Posts
Wow...lots of us in the same boat. I just watched my 20th AE GTI drive down the road with its new owner and am picking up my silver A3 DSG tomorrow.
My wife and I (plus 2 kids and a dog) own an Odyssey but I was tired of driving the GTI into the garage on Friday afternoon and not driving it again until Monday AM. Plus my wife, after 13 yr of trying...just cannot get the hang of a manual. Putting kids seat into the back of a 2-dr got old too.
So...onwards and upwards with a 5-dr DSG Audi. My 20th had 20K miles after 28 months...my A3 will have more...lots more!

BTW - it was sad to watch my mint jazz blue 20th go down the road so tonight...

Here's to you #1586...

Modified by tbvvw at 4:40 PM 9-16-2005

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Re: (lcohen999)

Quote, originally posted by lcohen999 »
...as an add on to this, how is the drive in Automatic non sport mode.
Does it feel like a regular auto, or does the dual clutch make a difference?
Thanks again!

Under normal driving it simply shifts faster and without that pause between shifts. In just my test drives I noticed a huge (for me anyway) difference in the shifting during more aggressive driving. Even in "D" mode. Unlike an old style transmission
where you stomp on the gas and the engine lags, then power to the wheels drops out completely while it shifts gears, and finally that ancient torque converter kicks in and off you go. With the DSG it's different. Simply put, there's no "fiddling" around, just results. It just puts you in the right gear faster than you can say "never follow", and off you go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.