VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if anybody could tell me if this might be normal or a faulty mechatronics unit.

2008 volkswagen jetta wolfsburg edition with 91000 miles

So my car sat all night and it was below freezing outside. I parked the car on an incline, when i started it i let warm up for about 30 seconds. Put it into drive, eased off the brake and when i did it lurched forward then back a couple of times before i pushed down the brake. Felt like my car was popping the clutch then pushing it back really quick a couple of times. When i released the brake again, i hit the gas and it took off fine. I recently had a dealer change my DSG fluid/filter and i don't think they recalibrated it, could it be just that or a faulty mechatronics unit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't know how normal that is for your car or exactly what "lurch" means to you, but I'd expect it to misbehave trying to go uphill with no throttle and even more so when it's cold. I probably wouldn't worry about that unless something else is wrong.

If you've been making a habit of using the clutch to hold your car on hills you're going to want to stop that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. What i meant by lurch was it essentially felt like someone popping the clutch of a manual, but pushing it back in before it stalled. I hope it was just because it was cold and maybe the DSG was confused or something. I'm going to buy a vagcom and recalibrate it here soon so hopefully that makes a difference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What you describe in your second post is normal. Erick295 is sending you in a good direction. I doubt that any adjusting in Vagcom will change anything. I can walk you through how to avoid the lurches, but it is not a simple fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve11b, could you please tell me how you avoid it? I have read to take your foot off the brake and let it creep forward before hitting the gas. Recently bought the car with 89500 miles, hoping it will be relatively problem free . I love it so far though!
Thanks again

·
Registered
174 Posts
take your foot off the brake and let it creep forward before hitting the gas
Thanks again
I call this the default start. I prefer to avoid the default and to do something different. Put the car in D, wait a couple of seconds and give the throttle a pulse of about 200 rpms. You need to be quick about it or the default will overtake your actions. So, as fast as you can release the brake and hit the gas. This allows the clutch to slip more than the default. If you get a jerk you are probably not quick enough. Wearing winter boots will slow you down, while pivoting on your heel (aligned with the gas) will speed things up.

The DSG does not know what it needs to overcome. You, the driver, need to adjust your driving to overcome any additional loads. You already know that hills and cold are loads that need to be overcome. Turning the wheels to full lock, filling the car with passengers, and my favourite - the wheels frozen to the ground are some of the things you may encounter. I believe that slipping the clutch allows the car to pull away more smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.