VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing my 2018 GSW 1.8 with a DSG making a funky noise on deceleration. It sounds like one of those rachet spiny toys on a stick you use as a noise maker. I tried reproducing the noise in neutral, while accelerating, while stopped, no luck. Only happens on deceleration.

DSG was last serviced by the VW dealer 2-3000km ago. No hard driving, no hard accel, etc.

suggestions? It’s under warranty so I will be calling the dealer on Monday, but would like to know if I will hurt anything if I drive the car until then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well that doesn't sound good. It could be your dual mass flywheel (DMF) going bad in the early stages. I had an 06 Jetta 2.0T with that same issue - only during deceleration. Mine sounded like it was coming from under the center console. Unfortunately, I traded it before it got worse so I never had it confirmed/fixed. I had about 88k on it when the problem began. To replace the DMF, the transmission needs to be removed. So it would be a great warranty claim if confirmed.

When you take it to the dealer, have someone ride with you and let them hear what you hear. That way they can't deny it or say that they couldn't hear anything.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts