1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and
... wishes to help!
VW's DSG/Mechatronics Unit

I spoke at length with VWoA and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) representatives.

VWoA claims they will NOT voluntarily issue a Safety Recall on the DSG/Mechatronics Unit even with the recent surge in DSG failures. "There's no reason for it", they said. Nor would they comment on the actual number of DSG failures they have on record or if anyone has reported a serious incident like many here on VWvortex.

They did admit to a parts shortage for the components needed to build replacement Mechatronic Units back in Germany. But their official excuse for the long delay is that replacement Mechatronic Units are made custom VIN specific. That may be, but some believe this firmware flash could be reloaded into the Mech.U. here in the USA. VWoA said the current lead time is approx. 4-8 weeks to deliver replacement Mech.U.'s to each service center. Whatever the truth is, it's causing a severe repair backlog at dealerships and long hardship delays for owners. It's going to hit critical mass, especially now since Mech.U. that were recently replaced are beginning to fail again. Repeated failures are being reported country wide. Some owners have even reported 2 or 3 Mech.U. before a whole new tranny does the trick! But even then, some new DSG replacement transmissions are reported failing soon after they are installed. (Does anyone else hear taps being played off in the distance?)
VWoA said they will continue to repair faulty DSG's or Mechatronic units under warranty but only "as they fail". For those out of warranty, they will need to pay for the rather steep repair out of pocket. ($3 to $4,000.00) (But what about the safety factor for those either in or out of warranty?) VWoA would not admit that these documented DSG failures point to a possible reliability issue, or at least to an inherent design flaw that may reduce the DSG's overall lifespan or produce repeated component failures. (Most defect-free DSG's are lasting between 50 and 100,000 miles before some type of failure occurs. As brilliant as this design may be, it's clear that this transmission may not have been ready for prime-time, especially when measured against today's longevity standards.)
It was no surprise that VWoA would not acknowledge that this defect could pose a safety risk to the owners and occupants of their cars as well as to other motorists. This type of PR suicide is what every business should fear most but VWoA is not budging. One would think that parent VW-AG would take this ticking time bomb a little more seriously before it hits the media with blood on their hands! (Remember what happened to Ford and their flipping Explorer?... or to Firestone and their crummy tread-less tires?) It's only a matter of time. They're obligated by the terms of their warranty to repair defective cars, but we're talking about preventing serious injury and loss of life here.*
The NHTSA appears to be VERY interested in our DSG cars. They said that we should each file a Safety/Defect Complaint with them On-Line ASAP... that these reports SEND UP MORE RED FLAGS FASTER than a written petition... that we should tell them EVERYTHING we have experienced along with our fears if this defect is allowed to go unchecked. They were clearly eager to hear our stories.
Therefore, my thanks to all those who have voted thus far... but PLEASE file your complaint directly with the agency... & please pass the word to other Vortex members or to other Forum Sites. We should stand together on this. It appears to be worldwide.
Here is the LINK to the NHTSA form. If you are one of the many with DSG issues, please take the time and fill one out. It should take no more than 10 min. tops:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
It's completely confidential too.
Thanks!

*In recent press reports, VWAG has expressed their desire to surpass Toyota sales in the USA. They're currently #1 worldwide but not in the USA. (Yes it's a fact according to the WSJ, VW is #1!) This means they must increase their market share by 300% here in the States... another words they must sell more than 3x the amount of cars they're currently selling in the USA to surpass Toyota in sales. This was their Big chance... everything was falling into place for them until now. One would think they would have jumped all over this DSG thing before it destroyed this once in a lifetime opportunity. Shame on you VW...

I would also like to encourage you to contact Consumers Union... (Publisher of Consumer Reports) and C.A.S., the Center for Auto Safety in Washington DC.
Please write them an "Alert Message" about VW's blundered approach to our faulty DSG transmissions. Include:
A) The symptoms
B) The risks and dangers VW is imposing on their customers
C) The lack of replacement parts
D) The shear number of faulted cars reported worldwide
E) The unusually long repair times
F) Repeated repairs and repeated replacements of Mech.U.'s and DSG trans.
G) etc.
Here's the link to Consumer Reports: http://custhelp.consumerreport..._3=26
Please Note: In the (Choose Product or Service) box, scroll down to the bottom and choose (Non Consumer Reports Products or Services) Then continue with your report.
Here's the link to C.A.S.:
http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint
Thanks...

Modified by VWRedux at 1:28 PM 8-9-2009

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (ViRtUaLheretic)

Wow, if you go to the NHTSA complaint page and then hit "Search Complaints" and then select the year and model VW, Audi with DSG and read each complainant's summary... (like some guy's DSG went into "N" while crusin at 65 and he had no power to his front tires as an 18 wheeler was plowing down on him... holy sh..
And that was over 8 months ago!
What the heck is taking NHTSA so long to get on the case? Where was VW duty to their customers? Why is VW in such denial? What are they thinking over in Wolfsburg as they fight with Porsche for control?.. That this was simply going to fade away on its own? What a bunch of jerks!

Modified by VWRedux at 1:48 PM 8-9-2009

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (Rockin3.2)

Hey Rockin, Nice job http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ... but how did you do that... post your full complaint? Just a simple cut and paste?

Modified by VWRedux at 1:53 PM 8-9-2009

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (VWRedux)

Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »
Wow, if you go to the NHTSA complaint page and then hit "Search Complaints" and then select the year and model VW, Audi with DSG and read each complainant's summary... (like some guy's DSG went into "N" while crusin at 65 (ya right... that's the speed he told the Feds) and he had no power to his rear tires as an 18 wheeler was plowing down on him... holy sh..
And that was over 8 months ago!

No power to the rear wheels on a DSG-equipped car?
I don't know what I'd do if that happened.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (woofsburger)

Quote, originally posted by woofsburger »

No power to the rear wheels on a DSG-equipped car?
I don't know what I'd do if that happened.

Oh crap... my bad! Front tires...

Modified by VWRedux at 11:47 PM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (woofsburger)

How come I see no Audi DSG's in this forum?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

How come I see no Audi DSG's in this forum?

Yo.
So far the DSG in my 2007 A3 2.0T is holding up fine.
Currently at 40xxx miles
APR Stage 2 (Test pipe file) since 17xxx
DSG fluid changed at 20k and again at 40k

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (JaxACR)

Quote, originally posted by JaxACR »

Yo.
So far the DSG in my 2007 A3 2.0T is holding up fine.
Currently at 40xxx miles
APR Stage 2 (Test pipe file) since 17xxx
DSG fluid changed at 20k and again at 40k

Very Interesting.... smooth up-shifting from a dead stop under normal acceleration?... smooth downshifts in D when approaching a light?... no hesitation at all between up-shifts?... no surging in reverse?..... no dropping into N while on the freeway?...mmmmm.... that's great but you only have 40,000 miles... ???
(Hope you have an extended warranty?) Know any other Audi owners with DSG? Are they having the same success? There are numerous Audi failures listed on the NHTSA's website.
By comparison, my GTI stick had over 210,000 on the same clutch without any sign of slippage before I sold it... now that's reliable! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good luck and thanks for filling me in.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (LWNY)

Quote, originally posted by LWNY »
DSG issue doesn't seem to be a topic in the A3 forums. Maybe the place of manufacturing/assembly has something to do with it?

Yea.. I agree! Very strange!
I found the same here on Vortex, but if you punch in "DSG Problems Audi" in a Google search, there is much out there. Even the NHTSA's website lists many Audi DSG failures on their website.
I believe all DSG's are made at the same plant in Germany. So what gives?

Modified by VWRedux at 10:33 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
345 Posts

Hey Rockin, Nice job http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ... but how the hell did you do that... post your full complaint? Just a simple cut and paste?

Modified by VWRedux at 4:53 PM 7-7-2009

I just took a screen shot of the final submission page and posted the image up.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Pretty interesting and scary. Sounds like they were on a highway. I can't even imagine being on the highway I drive to work, in the left lane and all the sudden the only component I have that delivers power from my engine to my wheels decides to fold up shop.
What will it take for VW? Injuries? Deaths? Many deaths?
"Blood priority."
The amount of blood spilled before change is affected.
btw, NHTSA complaint sent.

Modified by csc129 at 9:03 AM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
708 Posts

Check out this DSG failure caught on Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTkBqgnd6A

That video was a bit of a let down. All it showed was the blinking PRNDS.
I was kind of hoping for some incriminating evidence of the DSG popping into neutral as the car was being driven. Or any of the other described symptoms under operation.
Does anybody have that video? Anyone?

Modified by Slickvic at 10:15 AM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: DSG/Mechatronic Failure Update (Slickvic)

I agree slick.... but you could hear the cars driving by at high speed... I must also agree that when you're driving on the road and this sh..t just happens out of nowhere, you may not have the best camera crew waiting around in your back seat to capture the whole incident on IMAX/Dolby 7.1.
But you make a fair request.... my new car has none of the severe symptoms (yet), (ie flashing dash) but someone out there must. So I'll second the request.... if anyone has a better chance of getting us some footage please do.

Modified by VWRedux at 12:07 PM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

Very Interesting.... smooth up-shifting from a dead stop under normal acceleration?... smooth downshifts in D when approaching a light?... no hesitation at all between up-shifts?... no surging in reverse?..... no dropping into N while on the freeway?...mmmmm.... that's great but you only have 40,000 miles... ???
(Hope you have an extended warranty?) Know any other Audi owners with DSG? Are they having the same success? There are numerous Audi failures listed on the NHTSA's website.

My car has none of the problems you mentioned. I have seen some people on the Fourtitude A3 forum complaining that their cars have some of the more minor issues (rough downshifts, hesitation, etc.) but I haven't seen any posts there about the flashing PRNDS of death.
I really doubt that it has anything to do with it being an Audi, I think it has more to do with the fact that there are likely a lot more GTIs on the road, and the GTI owner demographic is more likely to frequent internet forums (where we read about these issues.) Not to mention that I think GTI owners are also more likely to modify their cars, which may have some effect on the failure rate of the DSG.

1 - 20 of 339 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.