VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is todays news about my car and DSG
First of all my car (R32DSG) is totally built and is leaving the factory next monday. It will be delivered in 15 days. This time it is for sure, VW confirmed it today.
And it seems that the DSG gear box had some rattling problems, don't know annything more about this issue.
Anyway my car is on it's way finnaly after this long wait.
Will keep you informed ASAP

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Re: DSG news (Swiss kenny)

Quote, originally posted by Swiss kenny »
First of all my car (R32DSG) is totally built and is leaving the factory next monday. It will be delivered in 15 days. This time it is for sure, VW confirmed it today.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Congrats http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
175 Posts

BTW, here's a review of the Audi TT3.2 (with DSG transmission) from a UK owner, taken from Audiworld.com:

3.2 Review
I heard the car coming and instantly started grinning. The 3.2 sounds great. One of the first things I did was to have a look where this delightful noise is coming from. (sad?) The exhaust seems to only have the adjusting flap in one pipe (unless the other's hidden) but either way it's enough to do the job and make it sing quite sweetly. There's a nice sporty rasp to go along with it.
The 3.2 V6 engine has loads of torque across a very flat power band. To be honest it wouldn't matter if the power band was tiny as the DSG would simply drop it to another gear at the right time and away you'd go. The DSG is definately the highlight of the package IMHO. The 3.2 sounds great and picks up well but it's the DSG that wins the medals.
So what does the DSG do?
Well there's three modes : Manual, Drive and Sport.
Manual Mode:
Push the gear shift to the right and it turns it into a sequential gear box. If you select a gear using either the paddles or the sequential shift then it will hold that gear and won't override you. A real manual. Of course it protects the car from idiot driving i.e. it won't let the car get bogged down and will upshift if you're trying to over rev it.
The paddles are quicker to change gear than the gear shift but I guess that's simply because the movement is less. Either way the gear change is incredibly fast. Someone on the forum once asked why the speed of change is so important. Well by Audi getting it own to 0.02 seconds it is so smooth and means that changing up round bends etc has not impact on the cars stability.
Drive Mode:
This is the normal mode for round town, motorways, etc. It reads your mind via some sort of extra sensory perception!! If you drive it hard, it will rev all the way to the red. If you're gentle it will change up earlier. If you try and catch it out e.g. floor it, brake hard and floor it again it sorts it's self out with out any problems. The gear change is so quick it's ready before you are! Even if it did get it wrong, which it didn't, the quick change means it could keep changing it's mind and you probably wouldn't notice. It doesn't though. It simply gets it right.
Sport Mode:
I expected that this would allow you to rev the engine higher but it doesn't. This is actually a good thing as it means in the other modes you still always have all the power.
What the sport mode does is it keeps it in the right gear at the right time. i.e. it's always at optimum point in the power band so that it is instantly ready to respond without having to kick down. e.g. If you are driving along at a steady speed, lets say 60, then most autos woud asumme you are cruising and would change up to reduce engine noise, etc. This is what Drive mode does. However in Sport mode it will stay in the gear that ensures it's ready to fly should you stick the boot in.
Basically Sport mode keeps it ready all the time. I don't think i'd use Sport mode every day as Drive seemed better to me round town. For a "hoon" or track day then Sport is the cookie!
Imagine belting along towards a complex left-right-left on a track (or instead a roundabout on a dual carriageway!!). You steam up to it and slam on the brakes. At any point including during the brakign zone, the gearbox is in the correct gear so that you can instantly power on without it having to kick down.
It achieves this by blipping the throttle on down shifts(too cool!) and drops into the next gear down. if you keep slowing, it will keep blipping and dropping. It is fabulous and removes my concerns about taking the fun out of the car.
If you are driving normally (whatever that means), then Drive is the one. If you're pushing on down A & B roads then go for Sport. I am totally impressed with the way the computer calculates what it should do in both modes.
I really don't think the paddles will get much use (particularly the change up one) as the gearbox's brain is that good that whatever you're thinking, it will already have done it for you. Both Sport and Drive can be over-ridden simply by changing gear manually if you actually ever felt the need to.
Of course during this quick play, it was hard to analyse whether the weight induces extra understeer. It certainly didn't feel like it. I didn't acutally notice the increased weight of the car. It seems the balance really works.
I found the ride is a little softer than the Gmbh "lowered" suspension that comes on the 1.8T's. I'm used to my Koni's and H&R's and it is certainly more forgiving. I didn't notice much body roll or bonnet diving going on but we weren't on a race track and hence the liimitations weren't tested.
The car sits higher than the "lowered" suspension but I think it's still a little lower than the pre 2002 suspension.
The cabin doesn't suffer any boominess which I guess is down to the clever exhaust. You can hear the tune being played from the rear but with the windows up, it's never too in your face. I am used to my Milltek exhaust but there is only so much you can do with a 4 cyclinder engine. The V6 sound is so much more satisfying.
Apart from the paddles and different gear shift, I didn't notice and other internal differences. On the outside, the body kit is more understated than I had been expecting. The rear valance and the spoiler don't jump out at you in a look at me manner and the front definately looks more hungry but it's all done within the Audi subtle design approach. You would know if it there was a 1.8T or 3.2 in your rear view mirror but many non-TT enthusiasts probably wouldn't notice that much difference.
With regards to performance I don't think there's much in it. It's hard to compare from the seat of the pants approach as the 1.8T and the 3.2 V6 deliver power in very different ways. I think that it is slightly quicker but the main difference is that the power is always ready to be used which I think results in a faster A-to-B car. Proving ground stats might disprove this but that's how it felt to me.
There is one thing that I am sure of. This is going to be a very successful car for Audi.

This is one of the many positive reviews i've read on the DSG transmission.
See what you lucky guys have to look forward to?!

· Registered
1,381 Posts

You're killing me!

Jamie just mentioned that the US R32 initially won't be getting the DSG as an option - later on seems to still be up in the air.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif I hope they wake up and realize the stupid mistake they're making.

Enjoy yours! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.