VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing this. From a start, when I release the brake pedal and step on the gas, there's a delay in the engagement which leads to a harsh start. Once moving, it shifts smothly. Gets much worse when driving hard (autox).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (AndyAtUMD)

Anyone else. This morning it was working perfectly again. Could it be it needs a better tranyy fluid. Also, I was holding the foot brake to launch (bTW, it has no benefit!). Could that be screwing it up (maybe the tranny is learning something bad that it forgets after normal driving conditions)?

·
Registered
192 Posts
it has been posted in vw tsb that the hard engagement is normal due to the fact thatnthe trans has 2 gear preloaded in "D" 1st and 2nd in "R" reverse and 1st. the trans actually starts in second even tho it says first on the mfd. and it switches to first shortly after. there is actually documents to explain this on alldata's tsb section.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
i was kind of worried about the same issue, but now i am using the manual mode on take off instead of drive and shift into second gear manually and then select D, it is fine. One other thing i noticed when you let the car run for a little before taking off, it does not make that little problem, interesting, does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Re: (GFSGTI)

Finally! Someone is reporting the same problem I'm having! I took it to my VW dealership, they took it out a few times and couldn't find anything. The problem is, this doesn't happen all the time, I usually notice it after 30-45 minutes of driving. I think I will try manually shifting the next time it happens to see if that changes anything. It would be great if I could see this TSB too!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: (tharsis)

Its the way you come off the brake and hit the gas. Its the hidden launch control
This does not happen in D, only in M and S. If you want a smoother start in M or S, take your foot off the brake, let the clutch engage, car will start rolling a little bit, then hit the gas.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Re: (Frankie92481)

For me it does happen in D. I don't often use M or S. If I try to let it idle up to moving speed it just bucks really bad... Like I'm flooring it and then slamming on the brakes over and over really fast. It makes me wonder how long the transmission is going to last. I think I know what you are talking about with the S mode, how it kind of revs up before the clutch engages, but this is totally different... I will sit at a light, from a dead stop take my foot off the brake, slowly give it gas and it goes BAM and jerks forward then its like the clutch disengages and if I'm not going fast enough by this point (10 mph ish) it will do the whole BAM then jerk forward really quick again. Its to the point of almost rearending the car in front of me at a light if I'm not careful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: (scuderiavw)

Quote, originally posted by scuderiavw »
i was kind of worried about the same issue, but now i am using the manual mode on take off instead of drive and shift into second gear manually and then select D, it is fine. One other thing i noticed when you let the car run for a little before taking off, it does not make that little problem, interesting, does not make sense to me.

the clutches are wet clutches until the fluid is hot and flowing its going to be a more harsh engagement. think of it as rubbing you hands together they get hot and you cant rub them easily, now add soap, easier with less friction. get it?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (two.fast)

It happens in D, S, and M. It is worse the longer you drive, and when driven hard, it is ridiculously jerky when stopping and starting. The car will come to a stop and an instant later you can feel it disengage. I had my tech friend drive it yesterday. He believes that it is not disengaging/engaging the gear at the right time. It's in the shop now, I'll let you know.

Modified by GFSGTI at 7:05 PM 6-19-2006

·
Registered
710 Posts
Happens to me when the car has been sitting for a few hours. At first I thought the Fast was hiding in the footwell yanking the gas pedal down... or I was just under gassing a powerful engine.
It smooths out after a few minutes of driving.
If you think it's bad... go test drive a 2.0T Passat. It's like you're puddering along in a grampa car for a few seconds and then you break the warp barrier.

Modified by phazed at 5:03 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem. In addition to everything GFSGTI and tharsis have described, mine punches really hard from 2nd to 1st gear on a slow stop.
It's in the shop right now (at FJ - I'm in Chicago too), and they can't get the problem to show up on their damn diagnostic machine.
GF - let me know what happened at the shop and I'll take it to that one if they're at least familiar with the problem.
I got confirmation from the service guy (who owns this exact car) that it's NOT supposed to act like this - I drove it for 30 minutes before I went just to prove that it's a probem.

Modified by joel.c at 3:00 PM 6-20-2006

Modified by joel.c at 3:05 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: (joel.c)

the other point to make is that anyone that thinks this isn't a problem probably isn't experiencing it. i know this car isn't designed to be smooth, but this is no fun little punch - it's really violent, almost like the transmission is going to come bursting out of the hood.
before i showed the service guy the problem, i described it and he was like 'oh yeah, that's just the dsg' but after i showed him he confirmed that it was definitely a problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Driftin GTI)

Conrad:
What was the diagnosis on Sara's car? (she said it was software--can you elaborate)? Is it the inadequate adaptation described in the bulletin? I'm gonna autox it this weekend to see if the fix worked!!

Modified by GFSGTI at 5:51 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Re: (GFSGTI)

I test drove one that was puttering from 2500 rpm to 2900 rpm in first second and third gear. It felt like the tires were slipping on gravel but it did the same thing on pavement. It seem to have gone away once the car was warmed up.
Anyone encounter this?
BTW the car had 12km when i test drove it.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: DSG: problem with hard engagement from stops (GFSGTI)

This happens in my car too, but only if I don't come to a complete stop. You can hear and feel 1st gear being selected. Don't get back on the gas until it's selected and you won't have the jerky start. If you don't quite come to a stop the transmission will remain with 2nd gear selected and when you put your foot back on the gas the transmission does a quick switch to 1st gear which gives a sudden start.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.