VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might be interested in this information.
VW surprised many people in the industry by introducing their version of a parallel shift gearbox very early in the development cycle. Yes, VW/Audi have raced with this technology, but so have other manufacturers and racing is different than prduction.
Anyway, I digress. VW and BorgWarner have chosen the 'wet' type/launch clutch as their choice for the launch control device. The other choices are a dry clutch (in development with other manufacturers), and a hybrid torque converter/clutch assembly. This is production on Mercedes-Benz cars and is rather expensive.
There are positives and negatives to all three choices.
One of the big negatives with a 'wet' type launch clutch is clutch 'chatter'. This is a major problem with the clutch used in the VW/Audi/BorgWarner 'box.
VW is having reliability and drivibility issues with their clutches.
This goes a long way to explain the production delays for the DSG R32 and the 3.2 TT.
How do I know this, let's just say I have to know what everyone in the business is doing and when they are doing it.
VW has gone out on a limb, a major gamble, with the quick introduction of their version. It is going to be fun to watch all this pan out.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: DSG production problems (dcxmann)

Actually that's pretty typical for VW and brand new clever technology. The early W12 engines in the old A8 had crank journal problems, the early S4s had manifold cracking problems, and the first 30V V6 engines had timing belt issues.
The industry grapevine tends to make these things sound more ominous than they really are. All three of the above examples were completely solved and the components have a good track record. I expect the DSG to be the same way. I doubt it will become a big fiasco.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts