VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I haven’t done anything to it yet. I took it to a vw dealer and they did a scan and said it’s the whole transmission. Didn’t do anything else just scan and came back with the entire gear box needs replaced 7,000$ fix. I find it hard to believe it’s the whole thing. Well what I mean by rebuild is take tranny out of car, take apart and replace what part or parts are worn or bad. Big job I know but there is plenty of information out there to guide me. I definitely don’t want to do this, only last resort. I too agree it doesn’t sound mechanical because there isn’t any other issue, noise or smell. Drives perfect other than this single problem. I’m just not sure where to begin. I have new fluid, filter and gaskets and a new transaxle speed sensor which is housed beside the mechatronics unit. My plan was to take out mechatronics unit to retrieve numbers and replace speed sensor. Then re assemble and fill with new fluid and filter. Anybody have any suggestions or another first step for me. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Do you have a list of codes/diagnostics from the dealer you can post?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I figured it out. I just happen to be prepping my garage for the oil and filter change. I drove the car up to the garage and recognized a sound my car was making I saw in somebody’s video on YouTube. Put my car on jacks so I could replicate the video and the sounds matched. Same sound same area, also the sound will disappear when my car is in a gear. Which indicates to me that it’s 100% my clutch. Anybody agree based on my post?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I know that I need a new duel mass flywheel but what I’m unsure of is do I also need to replace the clutch? My car is an automatic so I’m not sure if it needs replaced or is the DMF also the clutch? Anything else I need to replace while I have the gearbox off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I know that I need a new duel mass flywheel but what I’m unsure of is do I also need to replace the clutch? My car is an automatic so I’m not sure if it needs replaced or is the DMF also the clutch? Anything else I need to replace while I have the gearbox off?
Honestly it sounds more like the mechatronics might be messed up from thise codes. If your gonna replace clutch and dmf might as well do mechatronics unit too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes I agree. I went ahead and bought the mechatronics unit as well. I had to buy a vcds from cascade German website. Never used anything like this before. Advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
120,000, as far as I know there weren’t any service on tranny. I read entire manual when I bought it with 80,000 and there isn’t anything in it about servicing an automatic transmission. Does mention to service if it’s a manual.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts