VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ,

So the time has come for me to purchase a new car , and while I wont get into the specifics my wife is wanting me to get a dsg car so she can drive. I know , I know learn to drive a manual right ?? Well not happening. I'm still stuck on getting a 6 speed and ultimately it's my choice . I plan on test driving both cars before I buy ofcourse.

I'm turning for some more expert help , I'm wondering what are the capabilities of the dsg , how does it react to tuning . I've seen tons of guys stage 2+ the apr kit with nothing but just simple clutch issues in the manual so that's not an issue to me . My plan is to buy a new car and tune and mod down the road . What is the DSG capable of handling in stock form power wise ? Is my main concern, I dont hate automatics and I know the DSG is faster stock .

Thanks !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
DSG is no substitute for a manual, if your dead set on a stick, buy the stick. I owned a 08 R32 and loved the car and the DSG was ok, but after 8 years I wanted a manual again so sold it and the daily and bought a WRX with a stick for the dad racer. No VW since i’m 6’5 with long legs and with the new interiors I don’t fit, stupid super wide center consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I'd personally get a manual while they're still being offered, but I guess when it comes down to it you've gotta be prepared to live with whatever marital disharmony it's going to cause.

Also, if you're getting a new R, remember with the 2019 model they switched to the 7-speed DSG and there's not a lot of tuner info out quite yet on the newer gearbox. Like mentioned above, DSG is a very good automatic but it's still no substitute for a manual gearbox. You also need to be honest with yourself about your needs - marital harmony, how often you drive it, how often you encounter heavy traffic, what you generally use the car for, etc.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can’t help you with what the DSG can handle, but I did have a manual mkV GLI that my wife couldn’t drive. The DSG is so good, I regretted not going the other way. It would have been MUCH more practical. As always, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The cable setup on the mk7 is underwhelming in terms of feel. I added bushings and a metal bracket to tighten up the feel, and it's much better. Obviously it is not S2000 levels of feel, but it is great with the right changes. With that said, you really cannot add power to these cars. The clutch will have to be changed almost immediately.

I don't have any experience with the DSG, but everyone else raves about it, so...everyone can't be wrong, right?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a manual GLI, which shares the transmission and engine with the GTI. The manual is a really nice gearbox. The performance between the two is similar, but it looks like in 0-60, the DSG is slightly quicker, according to Car and Driver. But it looks like the manual, for whatever reason, holds more Gs in corners. It also traps at a higher speed in the quarter. But again very slightly. Basically, performance is similar for both all around. If you plan on tuning, the manual will need an upgraded clutch eventually. But the DSG will need a DSG tune, though. Pluses and minuses for both. It's up to choice, but I'd choose manual every time. Both transmissions are excellent, but in my opinion, if you're comfortable driving a manual, get the manual. It is so much fun to rev match and take around the corners. Also, the clutch is soft enough to not be fatiguing, even in heavy traffic. I've had no regrets buying the good ole' fashioned stick shift.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
If a manual is an option, it will always get my vote, especially in a car geared for fun. You can teach your wife if she wants to drive it; it really isn't hard to learn. You just have to want to learn.

The DSG gearbox is a phenomenal one; I had one in a mk5 GTI when it was still in its first iterations and it was still impressive, but you'll be longing for a manual almost as quick as the shifts.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
Drive both if you can and see what you like. In the end that and your situation is all that matters. I don't think my wife has driven my car in 2 years but I'd still get the auto. I have a motorcycle she can't ride.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'll be the contrarian voice:

I've had both on the MK7 platform, and I prefer the DSG. My GTI is a daily driver that the wife drives as well, and I miss driving a manual MAYBE a couple times a year. The manual on this platform is fine, but the DSG is the better performing box of the two, and it's much more tuneable than the manual cars. 6M + any tune = it's a matter of when, not if, you upgrade the clutch.

One of the other DSG perks isn't just the quicker shifts, but the fact that it doesn't drop boost in between shifts. It just bangs off shifts so fast that it makes the car feel like much more vehicle than it is.

The manual isn't bad, though; I just don't regret skipping it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'll be the contrarian voice:

I've had both on the MK7 platform, and I prefer the DSG. My GTI is a daily driver that the wife drives as well, and I miss driving a manual MAYBE a couple times a year. The manual on this platform is fine, but the DSG is the better performing box of the two, and it's much more tuneable than the manual cars. 6M + any tune = it's a matter of when, not if, you upgrade the clutch.

One of the other DSG perks isn't just the quicker shifts, but the fact that it doesn't drop boost in between shifts. It just bangs off shifts so fast that it makes the car feel like much more vehicle than it is.

The manual isn't bad, though; I just don't regret skipping it.
It's true you'll eventually need to upgrade the clutch (10,000 tuned stage 1+ miles on mine so far with no slip, but I'm ready). However, consider that the DSG is $800 more, and the DSG tune is $500. Altogether, that's about what you'll spend upgrading the clutch, more or less. So that's a wash in my opinion. I'm sure I'm different because my wife drives manual too, on a Jeep compass of all vehicles, but as long as the manual is available, I'd go for it 10 times out of 10.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
no manual, no care.

here are some jars with formaldehyde for your wife to keep your manhood in:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
DSG is honestly a lot of fun, especially the 7sp. If you plan on tuning and getting a manual, plan on upgrading the clutch immediately.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Drove the MK7 6MT for almost 2 years (Stage 1):
- If you want to tune it, it will need an aftermarket clutch at some point. There's no trying to avoid it
- DSG does not need any aftermarket upgrades to handle the extra power, only a DSG tune.
- 6MT with 0 modifications is "ok" at best. It needs harder bushings, removing a clutch delay valve, and possibly the return spring on the clutch to really get a good feel out of it.

Bottom line, if you need the manual: get it. But know the limitations and pitfalls
On the other side, you won't go wrong with the DSG.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I was leasing a 2018 Golf R 6 speed. I no longer have the car because the clutch started slipping at 11,900 miles (no mods at all, gently driven) and VW wasn't going to do anything about it.

The Mk7s are wonderful cars, but there's a clear problem with manual transmissions having under-spec'd clutches in them. If that's not something you want to deal with, I would go DSG all day every day. By the way, this goes for modded AND NOT MODDED cars. My car was not modded and the clutch was slipping.

Also, replacing the clutch on a nearly new car is NOT cheap. Plan on about $3,000 or more to fix Volkswagen's f*** up.

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
My heart says manual but it certainly sounds like the DSG is excellent.

This might not be super helpful but it's more info (Canadian so trims and such will differ)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Also, replacing the clutch on a nearly new car is NOT cheap. Plan on about $3,000 or more to fix Volkswagen's f*** up.
Is that cost mostly labor? Most stage 1 and 2 clutch kits (complete with flywheel) are in the $700-$1000 range. Of course, you could spend way more, but I've just been looking at ECS. I've been figuring another $700 or so for labor, based on experience in my 2017 STI. Is VW labor that much more involved?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
For a VW/Audi product I would take DSG over manual every time. I do love a good manual gearbox, but from the Audi/VW I have owned.. the gearboxes are absolute trash. Really gummy and rubbery gear shift. As for the clutch pedal feel... also so light and over assisted.. it really does not seem like driving a manual transmission at all. I'm not sure why this lot continues to bang the drum for such substandard manuals on a VW golf. Maybe the MK7 is on a different planet than the MK6 GTI I owned..

I wouldn't miss the craptastic manual on a VW/Audi (I had manual TTRS and MK6 GTI) for a second

The two BMW I have owned had great gearboxes. Not as good as either of the NB Miata I've had, but still great to drive.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My GTI is a DSG and I have historically been a diehard manueler, this is my first automatic/DSG car. There are times when I miss driving a manual and my next car will likely be a manual (maybe even an MK7, I'm loving the newer GTIs as an all-around car). I honestly just wanted to see what it's like to own a car with flappy paddles and no complaints so far. I have it in "manual mode" all the time no matter what kind of drive I'm on to still feel that sense of controlling the car and the DSG 'burps' when you shift add a little theater too. I'm on stage 1 with no DSG tune, 100% stock otherwise and it's been great. I haven't felt the need to upgrade further than that- it's plenty of power for the streets and to put a smile on your face. And I've owned an M3, a 400hp STi, etc. Maybe I'm getting old and sensible :laugh:.

I love the DSG in a GTI but I wouldn't consider getting a 911/Cayman/Boxster with a PDK, if that makes any sense...

I will also say that if I had to daily drive a car in a city like NYC, LA, etc I would get a DSG without question and be very happy with that. If I were in the countryside with nice backroads I would probably be teaching the wife how to drive a stick :D but the DSG is fun there too. Where do you live?

·
Registered
992 Posts
For a VW/Audi product I would take DSG over manual every time. I do love a good manual gearbox, but from the Audi/VW I have owned.. the gearboxes are absolute trash. Really gummy and rubbery gear shift. As for the clutch pedal feel... also so light and over assisted.. it really does not seem like driving a manual transmission at all. I'm not sure why this lot continues to bang the drum for such substandard manuals on a VW golf. Maybe the MK7 is on a different planet than the MK6 GTI I owned..

I wouldn't miss the craptastic manual on a VW/Audi (I had manual TTRS and MK6 GTI) for a second

The two BMW I have owned had great gearboxes. Not as good as either of the NB Miata I've had, but still great to drive.
The mk7 with manual transmission is honestly pleasant to drive. I had an mk5, but didn't have an mk6. I've had my fair share of manuals, as I've never owned an automatic. I've changed two things on the mk7: first I removed the clutch delay valve, and secondly, I've adjusted the pedal stop position. It has a nice positive shift feel, without being fatiguing in traffic. Before making the changes, shifting fast was kind of a pain, and engagement was vague. The car wanted you to relax. But normal driving was still good. Overall, now I feel the pedal feel is excellent, the engagement is smooth, and the throw is perfect. I have no plans for a short throw. Just a clutch when the time comes. I think the fact that both sides have their fans, and that vw is continuing to offer a manual on the upcoming MKVIII, means that the manual will be around at least a few more years. Honestly, the DSG is just an automated manual anyway (not a true automatic), so it's not like it doesn't still "feel" like a stick. But I must have 3 pedals, and I'll continue to do so until I'm forced into an ID3 GTI or Tesla or something.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts