VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Wow thanks everyone for all the responses

Anyways ended up getting a left over 19

the misses won't to happy , but she seemingly gotten over it already lol .

So yes manual was the choice . [

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Excellent decision! Congratulations on the new ride.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm not sure the labor rates in your area, but $650 is pretty cheap. Around here it would be more like $1000 at an independent. Then add in all the peripherals like shop supplies, new subframe bolts, etc etc.

Reusing the flywheel is a risky measure at best. You cannot properly resurface a dual mass flywheel, some people try to scuff them up with a pad on a grinder, but this is backyard type stuff and could mean you're taking it all apart again in a few months.

As I said, there are cheaper ways to do it if you don't mind some NVH. If you want a factory type repair with more holding power, it's not a cheap proposition. This is not a dig at 6 speeds (I owned one for almost eight years), it just is what it is.
I was expecting around $1k in labor, but at $650, I was pleasantly surprised, and couldn't turn it down. But I don't think $1000 is awful either, I just would have waited longer or shopped around. I personally decided to go with the lightweight single mass flywheel. I had a lightweight flywheel in my last car, and loved the way it revved and shifted. I decided to deal with the added nvh, rather than take a risk on the old flwheel or buy a new DMF. I really liked the way the lightweight flywheel felt and performed in my STI, so I'll hopefully like it just as much in the GLI. While the car is in the shop, I'll get to drive my '73 bug for a few days. Talk about NVH...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Wow thanks everyone for all the responses

Anyways ended up getting a left over 19

the misses won't to happy , but she seemingly gotten over it already lol .

So yes manual was the choice .
Congrats on the purchase, and i think you did the right thing by going with manual.
Now i will let you on a little secret i wish i knew two weeks ago... Southband has a drop in clutch disk that should comfortably hold stage 2 power, and works with stock SMFW and pressure plate. its less than $400. Unfortunately i did not know this, and spend twice as much on SMFW stage two kit (and i hate it, its too noisy). You should be able to have someone put in the clutch disk for you for 400-600 dollars.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
We get it- you're butt hurt. Enough already.
Spend $40,000 on a new car and get shafted on a MAJOR repair 13 months into ownership, and you'd be upset too.

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
So could a casual driver just buy a manual GTI and enjoy it? Because I don't think having to do 3 or 4 things (even free things) to a car to get it to drive "right" straight from the showroom floor is a win in any way. (removing springs and valves and such)

·
Registered
819 Posts
So could a casual driver just buy a manual GTI and enjoy it? Because I don't think having to do 3 or 4 things (even free things) to a car to get it to drive "right" straight from the showroom floor is a win in any way. (removing springs and valves and such)
I'm perfectly happy with how my stock 6MT Golf R drives. Sure it has a video game feeling compared to an unfiltered car, but it's still fun to drive. I may do the clutch mods one day, but more as a hobby kind of thing rather than because I don't enjoy the car as it is.

I've never owned an S2000 or a NB Miata so I've never lived with one of the legendary manual gear boxes, in a way I consider this a blessing. I can drive cars who's gear shifters are merely good without pulling everything apart to replace linkages, bushings, delay valves, springs, etc.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not sure what the tune did to the DSG - i can't say it felt very different, but oh well. The weak manual clutch (my 2013 GTI slipped the day i went stage 2) coupled with the not-very-good VW manual and clutch feel meant I was ready to move past a manual in this vehicle, and save the manual for a future toy (thinking a NC3 Miata or a post 17' BRZ)
In all seriousness...email APR and your tuner and make sure you actually have the DSG tune. I have seen a handful of people on the boards with the same sentiment, and there was a gap in communication that resulted in buying the tune but not getting it flashed properly :laugh:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Absolutely. Then there is no issue with holding stock power - you could even do APR's low-torque tune to spice it up. At least back in the day, the S3 shifter was a easy upgrade to improve overall feel. The dealbreaker for me was the weak clutches if you go stage 2+ on top of it being slower, with less gears.

Stock the car is very pleasant - both the GTI and GLI.

I liked the manual in the GLI i test drove before buying my car - much nicer than the manual in my 2018 WRX and better than i remember the manual being in my old 2013 GTI. I was just ready for the multiple advantages of a DSG in a big family sized car.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In all seriousness...email APR and your tuner and make sure you actually have the DSG tune. I have seen a handful of people on the boards with the same sentiment, and there was a gap in communication that resulted in buying the tune but not getting it flashed properly :laugh:
What a scary thought. The OEM DSG tune would not show gears in sport mode, but the tuned one does - which i like - i thought if i see S1-S7 then that would mean the DSG tune is there? I will reach out to them, thanks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What a scary thought. The OEM DSG tune would not show gears in sport mode, but the tuned one does - which i like - i thought if i see S1-S7 then that would mean the DSG tune is there? I will reach out to them, thanks.
Hmmm...you're definitely right there. The most obvious difference you can look for otherwise should be the way it holds gears in Sport mode compared to stock.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,398 Posts
Absolutely. My manual GTI was an awesome car in every way.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,687 Posts
Not just a casual driver, I think even discerning ones can be fine with it if they can keep an open mind. It's just a little different from other clutch pedals, it still works fine. I guess the CDV may stop you from doing a clutch kick drift, but it's a FWD commuter and not a spool'd S14 after all. :laugh:

I did play around with mods on my Mk7 because I like to tinker, but I intentionally left the clutch alone for a good six months as an experiment and I was totally fine with it. There was ~1-2 weeks of 'huh this doesn't seem right' adjustment process--mostly related to the CDV--but once you get used to it, IME it's fine and you don't even think about it.

edit: Oh, and on the topic of bad clutches, I always love to compare to farm trucks from the 90s and prior. Overly heavy, ridiculously long travel, vague action, catchy...all in one pedal! I loved the new Suzuki Jimny I rented a few months back, but it too was like that. The Mk7 being a little awkward aint got nothin' on those vehicles. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Absolutely. Then there is no issue with holding stock power - you could even do APR's low-torque tune to spice it up. At least back in the day, the S3 shifter was a easy upgrade to improve overall feel. The dealbreaker for me was the weak clutches if you go stage 2+ on top of it being slower, with less gears.

Stock the car is very pleasant - both the GTI and GLI.

I liked the manual in the GLI i test drove before buying my car - much nicer than the manual in my 2018 WRX and better than i remember the manual being in my old 2013 GTI. I was just ready for the multiple advantages of a DSG in a big family sized car.

agree that the stock manual feel in the WRX is crap, but a few mods can make it so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,241 Posts
the gear can be displayed with long coding in VCDS, so if you're not the original owner and see that, it doesn't necessarily mean it's been flashed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
FWIW, I test drove both manual and DSG versions before buying my 2017 Sport. While i didn't dislike the DSG entirely when i drove a manual afterwards it was apparent manual was the right one for me. I have 44,000 on my car with various amounts of mods thoughout the time but no full tune. Had a neuspeed power module for about 30k, and recently switched to jb4 about 10k ago. Haven't had any clutch slip with my car despite driving it pretty hard and even tracking it. I haven't tuned my car for fear of clutch issues but its also something that may be due to driver habits. Best car i've ever bought, with zero major issues aside from an occasional belt squeak that appears very infrequently.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts