VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my extreme ignorance with this, but I've never owned a VW before. I've been doing my research on the CC and reading your threads and trying to absord as much info as possible.
I'm not very familiar with the DSG transmission and hear that it's going to be available in the 2010 models. I've also read some threads were owners rave about it.
Is this transmission worth waiting for? I watched a couple of videos on DSG transmission, but not having ever driven one, Im not sure what Im missing and if it's a big loss should I get a good deal on an '09.......I do plan on chipping the car.

Modified by juggs44 at 3:33 PM 5-31-2009

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: DSG worth waiting for? (juggs44)

It's hard to describe the advantages of a DSG over a traditional auto in words. I'd recommend going down to your local VW dealership and test drive a car equipped with one and get a feel for yourself.
I'd sum it up in one sentence though: if you're the kind of person who would spend money on chipping your car, you're probably going to be happier with a DSG.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

Quote, originally posted by juggs44 »
Please excuse my extreme ignorance with this, but I've never owned a VW before. I've been doing my research on the CC and reading your threads and trying to absord as much info as possible.
I'm not very familiar with the DSG transmission and hear that it's going to be available in the 2010 models. I've also read some threads were owners rave about it.
Is this transmission worth waiting for? I watched a couple of videos on DSG transmission, but not having ever driven one, Im not sure what Im missing and if it's a big loss should I get a good deal on an '09.......I do plan on chipping the car.

Absolutely. The DSG transmission uses two clutches for seamless shifts. I've been in my friend's car with DSG, and the shifts are so quick you never feel the car shifting! If you are going to go the auto route, DSG is FOR SURE worth the wait.
Like others have said, go to your local vw dealer and test drive a GTI or GLI or Wolfsburg with DSG and decide for yourself.

·
Banned
8,271 Posts
The DSG essentially makes the car more "alive." the normal Tiptronic kind of prolongs the shifts and even in manual, it isn't fast, but with the DSG, flick the paddle, and it shifts instantly. I think it's smoother then the slushbox

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (AutoUnion32)

Okay I guess I'll sit on my hands and keep myself from jumping into an 09 then.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote, originally posted by juggs44 »
There is no question that DSG is probably the most sought after transmission on the market today! I used to own an 06' GLI w/DSG and that thing screamed through the gears! My current Passat is a dog compared to the GTI/GLI. You will find yourself driving in manual mode more often than not!
Do yourself a favor, and test drive a new GLI (probably the closest thing to a Passat CC) w/DSG. I would wait!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just add my $.02 I drove a 09' GTI the other day to get a feel for the DSG since I am making the same decision myself (wait for 2010). Blew my mind hole, also the GTI is an awesome car to drive. 2010 Mocha Latte here I come baby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts