VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided that I need to get the DSR 256 cams and the GIAC chip that goes with it. Is the added HP & Torque really worth the cost of the cams and install? Should I get the regrinds? or the billets? Has anybody had any negative experiences with them?

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: DSR 256's - are they really worth it? (Kent Johnson)

I think all DSR 256's are regrinds.
They have a relative high performance to price ratio because
they show proven hp and torque gains, are cheaper than Schrick 268's and
run on the stock valve springs so the install is relative easy and/or cheap.
The 268's make more power up top but require new springs and that's
a major PIA.
ian

·
Registered
545 Posts
Re: DSR 256's - are they really worth it? (jettafanatic)

I believe that you can either get regrinds billets. I think that the regrinds are ok and they would be alot less cash... thats the good news. Mine should be here this next week and then I can tell you about the performance of them. I am also planning to do my own install.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts

yes the cams are most definitely worth the job at hand. powr increase from 2000-7000. go to http://www.dynospotracing.com and see before and after of the cams. the car is mine that's used and it had intake, exhaust, V11 chip before and then only cams were installed. same chip was used in that pull. it's under MKIII DSR upgrade. check it out.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Re: DSR 256's - are they really worth it? (GTIVR6RACER4EVER)

quote:[HR][/HR] Is the added HP & Torque really worth the cost of the cams and install? Should I get the regrinds? or the billets? Has anybody had any negative experiences with them?[HR][/HR]​
regrinds were worth the money and effort of doing the mod myself. it is the most worthy mod imo for the vrs.
negative experience? none, maybe lifters a little noisier in morning startups??
or maybe going over 120 mph habitually on highway.
you already have good cai/exhaust. you will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
195 Posts

How much horse power do the 268 cams give a vr6???

I have a neuspeed chip, I was thinking of getting my stock cams regrinded into 268's. Would that work?? Has anyone ever did that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Re: DSR 256's - are they really worth it? (O_loung1)

quote:[HR][/HR]
or maybe going over 120 mph habitually on highway. [HR][/HR]​
I have 268's and I love them not too sure about the 256's

[Modified by N.E.R.D., 8:14 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Re: DSR 256's - are they really worth it? (djthreat619)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was thinking of getting my stock cams regrinded into 268's. Would that work?? Has anyone ever did that.[HR][/HR]​
I don't believe that will work, b/c the lift on the 268 cams is much higher (by comparison) than the stock cams or even the 256 cams. And it would probably cost you more to have it done than it would cost to just buya set of Cat cams. Then you'll have the added expense of new valve springs and the labor associated with their installation.
quote:[HR][/HR]Should I get the regrinds? or the billets? Has anybody had any negative experiences with them?[HR][/HR]​
Whatever you feel comfortable with. I've got over 30k miles on my regrinds with absolutely no problems and no CEL's
And IMO, the cams and chip are the best engine mod I've ever done, especially for the money.
quote:[HR][/HR]or maybe going over 120 mph habitually on highway[HR][/HR]​
It gets there very easily, with plenty of pull left
Not that I would do that on a public road

[Modified by vr6Cop, 12:22 PM 4-8-2002]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.