VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:
For those of you with cam experience -- assuming I get a proper installation, should I expect factory reliability out of DSR 256 cams? Will having them installed make anything on my motor wear out faster? How do I best go about hiding the fact that they are installed? Is there anything good to add while the mech is in there (relatively new motor)?
Question 2: I don't have a 'performance exhaust' installed yet. It seems like a more expensive mod per horsepower gained than cam install. Any comments a to why one would want to install an exhaust before doing cams?
Question 3: Mk4 owners with DSRs, please post your comments about performance gains.
Thanks very much.
Dan

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (djsilvera)

Pulled mine after 30,000 miles to put them in a new engine. Both the cams and lifters were great. Couldn't see or measure any wear with dial or vernier calipers.
Do the cams then the exhuast, you'll find gains with these cams even with the stock exhausts of GTI's & Corrados (maybe Jettas but have;t seen it on a dyno yet)
The gains are great for those of us using our cars as daily drivers. For the track go woth 268s and keep it in the red. Another good daily driver cams is the Kent 264s.
Ed-92SLC

[Modified by Ed Casey, 10:27 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (Ed Casey)

it's easy to hide them. they're VW cams, just re-shaped. they have the VW logo and everything.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts

thier regrinds so the dealer cant tell..i have had them for 15,000 miles and not a problem soo far.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (corpsedub)

corpsedub,
how's the performance? How much did folks charge you for install (or did you do it yourself)? Are you able to compare cams+chip with just chip?
Dan

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

The install takes 4-6 hours to do. Most shops charge between $50-$65 an hour.
Go for it. I certainly like mine! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,023 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]corpsedub,
how's the performance? How much did folks charge you for install (or did you do it yourself)? Are you able to compare cams+chip with just chip?
Dan[HR][/HR]​
I had DSR do the install since there located around me. The car pulls stronger everywhere..there is no more fade after 5500RPM. the motor pulls strongly to redline. i had the chip and cams put in the same day so i cannot compare the difference.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (corpsedub)

Why not go full replacements? As i heard the 256s are about $450. U can get new cams from TT @ $500!
I rather go full replacement but if your worried about the dealer finding them, i guess the DSRs are alright.

whats web address for them?-

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (1BadAzzVR6)

http://www.dynospotracing.com
They have a dyno showing about a 25hp gain when these are coupled with the garrett chip.
425 (cams, $625 minus $200 core refund)
300 (chip)
350 (install?)
=1075 for 25ish hp with factory reliability. TT cams might be great, but I dont see any dynos proving it. I also don't see garrett making a chip for them.
whereas tt stainless exhaust:
450 (exhaust)
50 (tips)
90 (install)
= 600ish for about 8-10 hp if I'm lucky. I've only seen one dyno of the TT exhaust install (before and after) on a VR6. It was max rebo's.
EDIT: can anyone show me a before/after VR6 dyno for a T304 exhaust that actually makes good power for how much it costs?
-Dan

[Modified by djsilvera, 6:58 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
807 Posts

Yes,... with chips and cams the tt exhaust made 5-7hp difference on my Corrado. This was after the 256 cam install. I'll be at the dyno this Saturday and try to reprint the graph of pre & post exhaust. Plus the sound alone is worth the extra $$.
Ed-92SLC

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (Ed Casey)

ive read a little about DSR .. they sound like a good deal @ $425.
It makes sense what they are talking about the indexing. its not easy by any means .. and thats what you really pay for with custom made instead of regrinds.
i guess i never realized it that way .. hmm

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (climbingcue)

whats the best duration without triggering the cel?
id really hate to bring my car to the stealership .. too much hassle.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (1BadAzzVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]whats the best duration without triggering the cel?[HR][/HR]​
I've had mine for about 20k miles now, and I've not had any CE lights. Save the cash and do the cams yourself. I wrote an article earlier this year. You can see it HERE. The cams are nice and have great curves when coupled with the 256 GIAC chip. I have a stock exhaust and pull 166.1HP and 165.2ft-lbs at the wheel. You can see the graph HERE.
I am very happy with the DSR cams and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: DSR 256s: factory reliability + other questions (vr6Cop)

Hi adrian,
Yeah I hear ya about the cash. I really wanna get into my engine work, but damn I don't wanna screw anything up in there. All I've been able to do so far has been the cool flo and short shifter -- so I'm not exactly a mechanic...and it'll be a big jump to take the head off.
The best price I found on the install was $350 plus intake manifold and valve cover gaskets. I don't remember seeing gaskets in your directions though....
Dan

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

u dont need to take off the head to do cams and HD springs.
That $350 sounds well worth it for me .. im no mechanic, i can do some work on my own, but things that like that need a tight tolerence i dont even wanna deal with. what if my cam gearing is off, there goes the valves. @ least when someone i pay breaks something they will pay for it .. but if i do, i be one pissed mutha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts