·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dynoing today I have the following DTC:
16486 MAF Sensor (G70):
Signal too low
45-00 --

This is with a Viper CAI. Do you think my MAF is failing? Perhaps it was marginal and the additional flow of the viper is killing it? I will check the p/n to see if it's listed as one of the "good" ones tommorrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: DTC: 16486 MAF Sensor (Bug_Power)

I noticed that is the only one code thrown, but the traction control light is also on as if I disabled it and the car doesn't pull like normal. I thought it might have been an electrical issue such as a fuse but I swapped fuse 29 and didnt help. Do you think with the traction control light on this is normal for a bad MAF?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: DTC: 16486 MAF Sensor (El Romano Loco)

I just installed the stock airbox. I left the pipercross tubing in there as it's too much of a pain to remove. It shouldnt really matter anyway because the MAF is obviously defective and would have failed eventually regardless of whether the viper was in there or not.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Re: DTC: 16486 MAF Sensor (Wolk's Wagon)

quote:[HR][/HR]Viper dynos seem to go hand in hand with blown MAF's, coincidence? hmm I don't think so.[HR][/HR]​
How do you come up with this? Some of the VR6 guys were getting lean codes, we have updated the file to eliminate that. I sent the first AWD Viper update out today, and we will have the AWW file for syntholic tomorrow. THe Viper does not blow MAFs, if they are defective, (which VW MAFs are
), the increased airflow of the Viper will take it out sooner. I ran 4000 miles to Utah and back and did not destroy my MAF with a Viper, I have 6000 miles on the car with the Viper installed now. VW has a TSB out to replace defective MAF connectors, they are not makeing suffecient contact, I know of more people that have lost MAFs with stock OEM airboxes and Paper filters than any other situation. Some went through 3 or 4 MAFs before having the new connector put on.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: DTC: 16486 MAF Sensor (Valois)

I have seen 2 dynos with the Viper, both ended with blown MAF's, that is "how I came up with that?" maybe you are right about the pre exsisting condition.
New connectors, tell us more, part #'s & pricing? sounds cheaper than MAF.

[Modified by Wolk's Wagon, 8:51 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Banned
13,061 Posts
Re: DTC: 16486 MAF Sensor (syntholik)

Take the MAF out of the car and inspect it. If you discover any dirt or oil film, try cleaning it with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol...it'll be cheaper than a new one if you're successful.
Re: What Rene said about problems with reliability of electrical connectors-> VW/Audi have a history of on & off problems with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.