VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '75 2.0 liter bus with fuel injection which is causing me considerable stress. I'm seriously considering converting to dual Webers. Does anyone have experience or an opinion on this? What are the advantages / disadvantages? What size carburetor should i go to? I was thinking 44mm IDF Weber. Any help in this matter would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: Dual Carbs VS. Fuel Injection (loser)

It's weird though. I have a carbed 73 squareback (factory, Eurospec) and I would have traded for a FI system anyday. The engine is smoother and more driveable than with carbs. Cold starts are usually no problem with FI (mine always stall below freezing), and the fuel consumption is lower. How much it uses is no biggie to you US guys, your fuel is dirt cheap anyways

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

I'm gonna say stick with the fuel injection. Originally I was gonna write out a long explanation why I feel this way, but I think I'll wait for a few more replies to see where everyone stands on this issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the opinions. somehow i knew everyone here would support keeping the bus as it came from the factory. but i am surprised that i didn't get at least one advocate of the dual carbs. Unfortunately time is my enemy in this case since i am taking the bus on a road trip next week so i went ahead and bought the carbs. I will preserve the fuel injection system though. It just so happens i have another '75 bus that i am working on. Perhaps a more extensive comparison is in the works. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
867 Posts

What type of FI system is it? If it's still D-Jetronic (like type 3 & 4), I'd say scrap it and replace it with more modern FI. If it's K-Jetronic (914 switched to K-Jet in '74, I don't know about type 4 buses), keep it and learn how it works.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: Dual Carbs VS. Fuel Injection (kimosullivan)

quote:[HR][/HR] (914 switched to K-Jet in '74, I don't know about type 4 buses)[HR][/HR]​
914's switched to L-Jet (trapdoor) in 1974

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Dual Carbs VS. Fuel Injection (Kafer 53)

I went ahead with the carbs, my patience was running out. But now after spending three days on the conversion i think i should have fixed the fuel injection. Live and learn. I kept the FI and it will go back on eventually (the carbs can go on my other '75 which i intend to sell someday) In the meantime i really need to get these working. I'm set to leave for the Vancouver show on friday. I got everything in ok but not all is well yet. I just installed Dual Weber 44 IDF carbs and a Bosch 009 distributor. It idles and revs clean but dies under load (once i get it in first gear). Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts