VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my C and while I was under the front end and had the stock IC out I was looking at the available space with the stock bumper and cover in place for a FMIC. I had the idea of keeping the stock IC and adding a 2nd IC in parallel. The stock IC is pretty restrictive, but it is nicely packaged in an out of the way place that is almost useless for anything else. It also has a nice duct feeding it with air. Adding a 2nd IC in parallel will remove any restriction from the stock IC end tanks, but would still use the stock IC for what it's worth.
I was looking to add a 2nd IC on the drivers side in front of the rad because the angle of the rad allows more room on that side than the passenger side. With some trimming of the rad support cross member there is a pretty good sized area that can be freed up for an IC with lots of good air flow.
I have an oil cooler there now, but I could relocate that pretty easily to the pass side in front of the carbon canister with a duct feeding it like the IC on the driver's side.

Anybody running dual IC's or have input on this idea?

Modified by thetatau87 at 3:23 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Dual IC Ideas (thetatau87)

i imagine you would experience a delay in boost build rate compared to a single IC. there are numbers on this somewhere...
if done just right it can be a good idea.

·
Registered
960 Posts
search the archives. I have done this back in 1998. I beleive I was the first one to try it out and am still running it like that.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Re: Dual IC Ideas (thetatau87)

I thought about it while back. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw Audi or some VW prototype (pic). Anyways, sorry I couldn't give you any specific info, I guess I'll wait for you to do it first heh heh.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Dual IC Ideas (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »
i imagine you would experience a delay in boost build rate compared to a single IC. there are numbers on this somewhere...
if done just right it can be a good idea.

Boost delay is mostly related to the volume of the IC system from the charger to the TB. I shouldn't see any more delay than if I went to a single IC of the same volume as duals.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Iceman666)

I'm keeping the stock bumper cover so there isn't much room with out doing serious surgery on the bumper bar.
By keeping the stock IC and adding a 2nd one in parallel I can add a smaller FMIC that is in a good airflow area in front of the rad and still probably get the same benefit as switching to a single large FMIC and ditching the stock IC.
Why ditch the stock IC? If I keep it does some good with that space.

Modified by thetatau87 at 1:07 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (fahrvegnugen)

Quote, originally posted by fahrvegnugen »
http://eurospecsport.com/dualic.htm
I skimmed your post, so forgive me if I am out of the loop here, but here is a setup that may interest you...
HTH
David

Thanks for the suggestion, but that system is 2 IC's in series. It's a bolt in for adding a 2nd IC, but it's not great for max performance of the system. It does double the cooling area. It also doubles the restriction.
2 IC's need to be plumbed in parallel. Otherwise you get twice the restriction as a singe IC rather than 1/2 the restriction when you connect 2 in parallel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts