VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a preventative maintainance suggestion ...
all m.y. 2000 & 2001 & early 2002 (1st qtr) 1.8T engines are very likely to have the early dual temp sensor (located in rad hose/manifold at #4 cyl end of cylinder head) ... early sensor is Black (simply remove electrical connector to determine colour) ... several functions - important function is "idle mixture enrichment" ...
the revised "Green" sensor P.N. 059 919 501A will correct excessive idle enrichment & high idle rpm (cold start) ... O-Ring seal is P.N. N 903 168 02 ... Resin Retaining Clip is P.N. 032 121 142 ...
total cost outside n.a. is approx $35 usd - remember this sender (sensor) is used on all 1.8T engines (think audi/vw/seat) ... in usa dealers are offering at discounted price to car owners ...
this info has been posted by others over past 4 months ... it is useful to remind again ... "Green" sensor will solve some of your problems ...
on some engines, resin manifold will also have aircon temp sensor - this is "Gray" colour - you are interested in "Black" or "Green" sensors ...
remove air box cover (& air filter) for easy access to end of cylinder head - sensor is at lower edge of head casting in resin manifold ...

Modified by kwokTTQ at 3:17 AM 5-25-2003

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (kwokTTQ)

Yup probably the most common repair at the dealer after MAFs and window regs, do at least one a day usually. I think the sensor itself is about 6.50 here in the US right now depending on the time of day. It has screwed up the tuning on ALOT of cars for several tuners.
When changing it wait for the car to cool off totaly and keep the coolant cap on. this keeps a vacum in the system and about a tablespoon of coolant wil come out if you do it quick enough. Just pop out the clip, get the new oring on the sensor and in reach. Pull out the old sensor with one hand and jam your thumb in the hole (quiet) check and see if the oring is stuck to the old sensor. If it isn't when you pull your thumb out just pull the old oring with it, if it is on it just quickly put the sensor in while you pull your thumb out. Alot of times even if you dont' do it quickly still no coolant comes out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (little p)

thanks! now how about someone post a few pics of the wrong sensor, and the right sensor, as well as the location..

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (nerdhotrod)

yeah saw it today when IW as getting someone a quote it was like 4.54 for the sensor and under a buck for each the o-ring and clip

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (JettaRide)

Quote, originally posted by JettaRide »
So can this sensor be the cause of "dipping" idle?

Well, I just replaced mine along with a set of new plugs and the cold start idle problem I have been having is completely gone...at least for the first try. I will post start up conditions tomorrow morning...
This thing is a 'must have'... and now that the info is on the vortex, Nationwide backorder here we come!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (little p)

I changed mine the other day. Not because I knew of this thread but because it was bad. I still have cold start problems and dipping idle. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Thanks for the info though.
-Sam

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (kwokTTQ)

Quote, originally posted by kwokTTQ »
you may want to check your maf ...

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif just unplugged mine today to discover a whole bunch of power that had been robbed by that bloody thing!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok so I gets this green temp sender...my plug on my original sender is different...is there an adapter harness or something I'm missing???
TIA,
Marcus

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Re: Dual Temp Sender (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »
Yup probably the most common repair at the dealer after MAFs and window regs, do at least one a day usually. I think the sensor itself is about 6.50 here in the US right now depending on the time of day. It has screwed up the tuning on ALOT of cars for several tuners.
When changing it wait for the car to cool off totaly and keep the coolant cap on. this keeps a vacum in the system and about a tablespoon of coolant wil come out if you do it quick enough. Just pop out the clip, get the new oring on the sensor and in reach. Pull out the old sensor with one hand and jam your thumb in the hole (quiet) check and see if the oring is stuck to the old sensor. If it isn't when you pull your thumb out just pull the old oring with it, if it is on it just quickly put the sensor in while you pull your thumb out. Alot of times even if you dont' do it quickly still no coolant comes out.

Awesome tip. THANK YOU!! For anyone else keep your thumb right on top of it. I was amazed out how easy it popped out. I lost probly half a cup or so since I had no idea that for once a part would come right out
. Would have lost much more without your sage advice tho http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: (Qycksilva)

Quote, originally posted by Qycksilva »
Ok so I gets this green temp sender...my plug on my original sender is different...is there an adapter harness or something I'm missing???
TIA,
Marcus

Was your orginal sensor blue, if not you are looking at the wrong thing, possibly a white one. There is a blue dual temp which goes bad also, which is just replaced with anotehr blue one. But any TT as far as I know should have a black one replaced with a green one same plug, so I bet yoru looknig at the wrong thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts