VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice how many dumb accessories are out there... and how many people buy them?
My favorites:
1) I don't know who makes them or what they're called: those bra-wrap contraptions that collapse (or rollup) into that massive mechanical thing hanging out in front of the car. I guess they're the next step above a regular bra - you pull it out and wrap the front when you need it and cram it back into the cantelevered container when you don't. I assume people buy them to keep their car clen and handsome. But then you have this hideous monstrosity cantelevered out in front of your car like some padded battering ram. Totally negating the orignal purpose.

2) Door edge protectors. Some are rather sedate, but others are big, chromed, or huge plastic extrusions that stick out like a sore thumb! I saw some a a new Porsche the other day... why?
3) Remember the C4 Vettes? Remember how most of the convertibles had the luggage rack/semi-wing thing/skid rails on the trunk? Whyyyyy??? It looked like such an anacronism on a totally modern car!
There's worse, but I just had to vent about these.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,554 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (uncleho)

There's an old lady who drives around in my home town with a new Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe, with a vinyl padded roof. Yech!
Here at school, there is a fourth gen Prelude with a Wings West body kit. If that wasn't bad enough, it has chrome fender trim. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,224 Posts

Padded roofs and anything "neon." http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (Sporin)

My grandfather is still convinced that people used to complement him on his maroon Continental (the previous generation) with its maroon clothtop...thank goodness he's moved on to a sedate Sable....
Then again, he's also convinced that front-wheel-drive handles better than rear-wheel-drive....
Tom

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Dumb, car accessories (Sporin)

Maybe I'm too young, but do those padded roofs mean to conjur up anything in particular with the driver?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

A long long time ago... I used to see this ghetto'd truck driving around all the time. It had a cab that was padded vinyl and cut out of it and see through with plex glass it said "Poison." Was he a Poison fan or a Bel Biv Devoe Fan?
I was ALWAYS confused by it.
The other thing was there was a crew of guys who worked at the local pep boys and they all had older Celicas and Corollas, which is cool, but they all had put on those padded cloth crap. It looked so lame imo.. One of them had a minivan with a big "Racing" sticker plastered sideways across it (yes, it just said Racing, nothing else) and something like "MaDzZ PeUrTo RiCo StYlEZzZ" across the back...
Oh well... you can pretty much blame Pep Boys and Auto Palace for stocking a lot of the lame crap you can see...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

fuzzy dash covers.
and fake antennas.
(I never realised they were fake before.. I just thought the r1cers really had a thing for cell reception.. until I went to chinatown one day and went into a store that sold them.. )
and big low profile weird shaped jars of colourful airfreshening liquid on the dash

[Modified by lyledriver, 10:47 AM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts

I am a big fan of the neon windshiled washer squirters... I see them on everything now a days.. that is so stupid.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts

How could you forget fuzzy and leopard-skin steering wheel covers? And the fake wood ones too. Two words: ta key

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (KonigGTI)

There used to be this nasty rice-ride at my friend's apartment complex last year. I assume the person moved away. Anyway it was a 1995 or 1996 base model Mazda 626. Champagne colored, with a brown cloth top (EWWWW!), gold door edge trim and fender trim, a supra spoiler, coffee can exhaust, and like 10% tinted windows. It was an automatic too. Absoutely hideous.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (lyledriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]fuzzy dash covers.[HR][/HR]​
Those actually have a purpose on a car that is raced, it keeps glare off the windshield. Obin has one in his Porsche.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (Crazyquik)

Remember the trend to use flourescent colored windshield wipers? I think most of them came in either flourescent pink or blue. They were hideous, and that caught on like crazy! They were just cheap, tacky, and ugly!! I think some people even went further and got the same treatment on their antennae's, door trim, etc.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Dumb, car accessories (pdoel)

Maybe I'm fortunate - living in Michigan - we don't get to many imports, which seem to attract tackiness more.
Oh, yeah!!! It might just be an asian thang, but my family use to always buy those carpet samples and place them OVER TOP of the factory carpet mats that came with the car. Hmmmmmm? After 10 years, the car was looking pretty rough, but DAMN... those factory mats are daaaaaandy clean!

·
Registered
8,907 Posts

Hmmmm...curb feelers....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (VWhombre)

How about those add on vent thingys that attach to the wiper arms? Remember those? haha! And the double wipers? haha!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts

"Padded Roof?" Are you guys talking about factory vinyl tops, or is there an aftermarket roof padding of some kind? Or do you mean those newer tops with the chrome trim and snaps that are there for no apparent reason?
I am dumb.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (CorradoYEAH!)

Padded roofs, vinyl roofs, and my favorite...Landau roofs. So classy.
quote:[HR][/HR]AUTOSTYLE is the Gulf Coast's leader in custom vinyl and fabric roof options for today's luxury automobiles. We offer Carriage Roofs (simulated convertible tops) in Stafast fabric or sport vinyl, built by the best manufacturers in the industry and installed by Autostyle's staff of trained technicians. We also offer Landau roof options in fabric or vinyl, in an assortment of styles. [HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (Brad Jar)

Cool then. Thanks.
I've never really had a problem with those. I have one on my old thunderbird; it's standard vinyl, and it's just a little bit darker than the paint. I always thought they looked okay.
Some of the newer ones though....SPEW! I've actually seen a burgundy acura integra with a tan vinyl top....you know, some of those roofs really do suck, come to think about it.

·
Registered
627 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
1) I don't know who makes them or what they're called: those bra-wrap contraptions that collapse (or rollup) into that massive mechanical thing hanging out in front of the car. I guess they're the next step above a regular bra - you pull it out and wrap the front when you need it and cram it back into the cantelevered container when you don't. I assume people buy them to keep their car clen and handsome. But then you have this hideous monstrosity cantelevered out in front of your car like some padded battering ram. Totally negating the orignal purpose.
[HR][/HR]​
That's a tow bar, not a front end mask (bra).
Crappy picture:

[Modified by seattlelab, 2:11 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Dumb, car accessories (seattlelab)

I gotta go with the curb feelers. But how about the chrome fender trim? Thats pretty nasty on some cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts