VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
exactly what do spacers do and where do they attach? also does putting on spacers lower the quality of the suspension or have any negative effects at all, if they are added to an aftermarket setup of both shocks and springs?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (silverGTIbullet)

Spacers are placed between the carb and manifold to increase plenum volume and boost low-end torque.

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (je_)

That's funny what does that have to do with suspension http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif wrong spacer
SilverGTIbullet, I'm looking for this same info right now because my rear end is sagging

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,629 Posts

I've heard of Wheel spacers, and carb spacers.
But I've never heard of suspension spacers. Unless you're talking about those cheap rubber things you can buy at pop-boys to lift your sagging ass.
Could you post a picture of these spacers, so we have an idea of what you're talking about. The internet is notoriously bad for trying to explain something... "Well... it's the thing... with the bend right after the other thing, and it's got a hole through it where the bell-lookin-thing attaches to the part that resembles a cows scrotum... Know-wad-i-mean?"

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (Surf Green)

i have seen that people put like 15mm/ 20mm/ 8mm...etc. spacers on their car, i think they use it to give their car a more raked look

·
Registered
5,993 Posts

It sounds to me like wheel spacers.
They push your wheels out closer to the fender. Looks better, and depending on your wheel offset and your suspension you may need them to prevent rubbing your suspenison.
They don't create a raked look though so maybe you are talking about something I am unfamiliar with.
Whenever I hear spacers and suspension I think wheel spacers.

·
Banned
1,560 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (DiscoStu)

I'm running H&R wheel spacers 5mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. There are negative effects to my knowlede. Since you are increasing the wheel stance the car should be more stable. Here's a picture of mine.
The rear makes a VERY noticable difference. Compared to stock it looks SO much better...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (A-Money)

It seems like adding additional distance between the wheels and the axle would increase the stress on the axle, wouldn't it?
Surely this can't be a good thing, but what do I know....

·
Registered
23,931 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (Jetta_J)

I agree on the wheel spacers.
I am in need of rear spring perches, you know the kind that allow you to raise and lower the rear of your car (not the crap spring thingy's from pepboys).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: dumb spacer questions?? please help me out (FlashRedGLS1.8T)

As was posted above, wheel spacers are/should only be used for clearance issues. Any rim up to 8" in width running between a 35-40mm offset on a G/J IV can make full wheel clearance on an up to 2.5" drop.
Handling? No changes. You would require at least 25mm to make a marginal change....
I'm running 17x8 with a 40 offset on the wheel. I have 3mm spacers (just for piece of mind) so I'm running a 37mm offset. The stock 15x6 Avus runs at a 35mm offset. Hope this didn't cloud things....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.