VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously....since everyone's picking on the dude who painted his rotors, let's have a moment of humility. Post a little story about the dumbest thing you've done to your car...something that made you smack your forehead, or just shake your head in self-shame.
No stories about others. Only about yourself. If you haven't done something stupid, don't post.
I'll start: when I was putting my car back together, I forgot a bolt. Yes, that's right, I forgot a bolt, and it was an important one. In the slip-joint in the steering column. Well, two months later, I go to pull out of the parking lot at work, and CLINK! my steering wheel spins freely, and the car goes straight, as I'm pulling out into traffic. I throw it in reverse and back it into the parking lot again, and spend the next 5 minutes fixing the problem, thinking how stupid I am, and how lucky I am to not be dead.
Humility. Give it a whirl.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (punkassjim)

i'm good at this one....
I tried changing my timing belt with my dad...didn't know a damn thing about what we were doing.
Since then I have had problems with the car. I have had a CEL for over 1 year and 6 months, and my idle is soooooo f'ed up. Oh and then I paid someone over 600 bucks to replace my clutch.
I am quite humble.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (95 Vento)

Easy, I sold mine.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts

Right after i put my 60/40 kit on, i was in a rush to get to the bank to withdraw some money before they closed. Pretty much as soon as i took the jack out from underneath my car, i was headed to the bank. Half way there i realized that i hadn't tightened my lug bolts on the front when the car was on the ground.
I only tightened them enough to get the wheel to stay on, while still on the jack. When i pulled over to check, 2 lug bolts on each side were about about 6 threads from coming totally off, and the other 2 were loose enough to be turned with my fingers. Talk about lucky. I'm glad my wheel didn't fall off.
Needless to say, i'm a lot more careful now.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (SalemNHGreenGolf)

Bought my MK3. It's been a money pit ever since, but I'm not complaining

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (Blown Wide Open)

by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes...
yeah, I remember seeing a pic of those headlight masks...:shudder:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (Blown Wide Open)

Quote, originally posted by Blown Wide Open »
Dual look headlight covers...
Patrick

I had the "Phantom" headlight covers too... *hangs head in shame*
Oh yea, I rocked the AR's on my old corrado. Ah yes, dubbin' back in 95'
-Dan

·
Registered
21,576 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (4thChirpinGTI)

Quote, originally posted by 4thChirpinGTI »
paint my calipers.

why do you say that ??

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (jerzee_tek)

Quote, originally posted by jerzee_tek »
total it!

it already is!
and yeah, don't think I didn't think that. Bad, bad mojo.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

I broke my MAF trying to clean it...
Luckily I found a used one for 160!

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: (punkassjim)

Tried to jack the car in the wrong spot, bent the floor a little but nothing a hammer couldn't fix http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (The Luscious)

I have to tell a story about what my friend did... I know, I know, I will tell mine first but his is classic, and he is done with dubs so he can't tell it himself
Mine I had my car jacked up with the factory (widowmaker) jack, and i was doing brakes.. I needed to get at a bolt and i went to turn the steering wheel for better access and dropped the car on the floor... I also backed out of my garage after a box of parts fell against the passenger side and keyed my hole car... after a 5k respray
His His tranny was grinding so he figured he needed to add more gear oil, but insstead of removing the speedsensor to fill, he poured it into the clutch/flywheel inspection hole... for those who don't know.. thats not the tranny... lets just say your cluts DOES NOT NEED OIL

Modified by brinskan at 12:46 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (MrVrSix)

I bought it on these forums, that was pretty dumb. for some reason I didnt think before i bought it and it ended up being beat pretty good by the po, has cost me more fixing things than i paid for it already and i bought it in august of 03

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
38,026 Posts
Re: Dumbest thing you've done to your mk3... (mk2jettabro)

turbo it.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts